Confirmed with Link: Matheson Receives Two Game Suspension

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
As probably mentioned, this pent up frustration by the fan base goes back more than a decade at this point. (Please fill me in if I'm missing any incidents)

2004 hit on Naslund by Moore. (Though the Bertuzzi incident negates this essentially)
2011 Bruins against the Canucks (Marchand speed-bagging Daniel etc..)
2012 Marchand low-bridging on Salo.
2012 Duncan Keith on Daniel Sedin.
2017 Cal Clutterbuck on Brock Boeser. (Somewhat freak accident against the boards)
2018 Mike Matheson on Elias Pettersson.

There doesn't need to be an eye for an eye. But you can only swallow your pride so much and "go for the two points" enough times that really there isn't much left of your pride at the end.

I think the franchise went in a soft direction and became way to timid after the Bertuzzi incident. It’s time to let it go, was a freak incident. Place Bertuzzi in the Ring of Honour. Time for the Canucks to get some snarl back.

Reactions: pomorick

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
-the way this place went from supposed rational analytics hothouse that routinely ridicules signing anyone for physical/fighting ability to instantly demanding blood to ferociously attacking those who didn't deliver blood was quite an education for me. next time someone claims we don't need a gudbranson in the modern nhl they had best explain who they expected to draw the blood they demanded.

Next time someone claims we need a gudbranson they had best explain what happened last night.

I'm perfectly fine with going for the moral victory by WINNING. Would really welcome going back to the motto of the best Canucks era, which was pound them on the scoresheet.

Too bad we have so many useless players on the roster that hinder that goal because their sole professional level skill is "toughness"

alicia

~
Apr 11, 2011
Vancouver, B.C
I'm patiently waiting for news on his injury and time-line. Still pissed and downright depressed, I was actually excited for hockey for the first time in 7 years.

I just pray that Petey doesn't miss a step when he does come back. This is killing me more than Game 7, but maybe thats recency bias.

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
Typically I'm all for an eye for an eye retaliation. But there's a limit. Obviously Bertuzzi was way over the line. I thought Torts' behaviour was an embarrassment. But I also thought it was an embarrassment when Marchand and Keith never had to pay their bills.

With that all said, I'm not upset no one went after Matheson. For starters, with who was on the ice, and how the cheap part came a beat or two after a clean hit and away from the play, I don't think the guys on the ice would have really seen the choke slam, and a response from Goldy or Pouliot isn't really sending any message (other than there will be a response, and there is value in that). I was expecting someone to take a run at Matheson as the game went on, but I'm not surprised it didn't happen. Keep in mind, Matheson didn't play much after that hit.

In Matheson's first shift afterwards, Bae blew by him to set up the game winner. Rather Bo, Bae, and Boes just go score. Matheson had 4 shifts after that, one of which was 14 seconds long. The rest were all with less than 8 minutes left in the game. Say what you will, but there's a time and place for retribution. If Goober and Matheson went into a corner together, or met in a scrum, I'd hope Goober would have something to say. But they weren't on the ice together much, if at all, after the hit. Schaller, maybe could have done something, but wouldn't expect a guy in his 3rd game in the uniform to ignore the coach's orders. Beagle, broke his hand. Roussell, first game after a concussion. For all the "meat and potatoes" narrative this board loves, Benning hasn't been building a rough and tumble team.

I hope going forward, there is collective responses if/when teams try running our young guns. But I also don't want to see this team go full Gino every time someone looks at our guys cross eyed. I don't think this one incident is a reason to condemn the team for being ballless, and I expect more appropriate responses in the future.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
I'm torn between two points of view on the incident.:

Do you allow the other team a pass on clobbering your franchise rookie without instant retribution..?...What kind of message does that send?...You can hit our rookies,while the rest of the team will sit around and watch.?

What if the Canucks did dish out instant retribution in a close game...took a penalty,and lost the game...What kind of message does that put out to other teams?...All you have to do is rattle their young players a bit,and the whole team will lose their composure,because they will be bent on revenge...Easy way to gain an advantage.

Catch 22..

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I'm not sure what posters were seeing. But after reviewing the replays a half-dozen times it's obvious that Matheson was embarrassed and determined to exact some revenge. Pettersson had just made him look like a flailing peewee player with some moves along the wall. And this won't be the first d-men he makes look silly and who will be determined to exact some pay-back.

Makes me worry about what kind of punishment Quinn Hughes is going to take along the wall. And as a d-man he'll be far more vulnerable. I have no idea what the Canucks have to do protect these players, but something has to happen.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation

Do you allow the other team a pass on clobbering your franchise rookie without instant retribution..?...What kind of message does that send?...You can hit our rookies,while the rest of the team will sit around and watch.?

What if the Canucks did dish out instant retribution in a close game...took a penalty,and lost the game...What kind of message does that put out to other teams?...All you have to do is rattle their young players a bit,and the whole team will lose their composure,because they will be bent on revenge...Easy way to gain an advantage.

Catch 22..
False dichotomy. This isn't a choice between doing nothing and going totally apeshit. It is entirely possible to stand up for one another without having a psychotic overreaction. I would have hoped that at least something had happened. Some tiny indication that the rest of the team was aware or gave even a tiny shit about a cheapshot being dished out to the best player. Like, just some sign of a pulse, especially from that loudmouth Gudbranson who's apparently great at tweeting but doesn't show up at all when it counts.

petrishriekandgo

Why not us?
Mar 7, 2003
Vancouver, BC
offthebartoons.substack.com
I'm not sure what posters were seeing. But after reviewing the replays a half-dozen times it's obvious that Matheson was embarrassed and determined to exact some revenge. Pettersson had just made him look like a flailing peewee player with some moves along the wall. And this won't be the first d-men he makes look silly and who will be determined to exact some pay-back.

Makes me worry about what kind of punishment Quinn Hughes is going to take along the wall. And as a d-man he'll be far more vulnerable. I have no idea what the Canucks have to do protect these players, but something has to happen.

Pettersson also scored his PP goal by outwaiting Matheson's "block" (turtle) and zipping it top corner shortside. Pettersson had owned him the entire game up to that point... Matheson was out for blood and got it.

Now the league needs to do its job...

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007

gino, the nose, anton, big serge, diduck, murzyn, etc

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby

Catch 22..

This I understand.

But I personally think that at this point, winning games is less important than...dare I say it...building a culture. The more important message here, in my opinion, is: hurt our guys and you will pay. Instead the message actually sent was: hurt our star here have a cookie. The inaction of the players from last night is equivalent to an invitation to the whole league and all the filthy cheapshot artists out there to join the hunt.

I also think that there are ways to take retaliatory actions without taking a penalty, taking such action doesn't mean the team lost its composure - if we get a bench clearing brawl then yeah that's...not good in any amount. But if someone jumps on that POS Matheson and drop the gloves, he will have two choices: either drop the gloves and fight like a man, or cower behind like a little bitch and be forever treated as such. There are plenty of good "enforcers" around the league who can protect their teammates without compromising the chance to win.

I see your POV from both sides, and I understand it can be a dilemma. The above is just the way I look at it.

As for Matheson, I'm expecting between a fine to a game. 2 games will be better, but unlikely.

sexydonut

May 12, 2009
Does anyone else just want some AHL goon call up to beat the hell out of Matheson in the rematch? And Matheson is supposedly a skill (lol) defenseman. Let's see his skills at coping with pain.

Who cares if it costs the Canucks two points? They aren't going to the playoffs and a worse record improves the chances of getting the other Hughes brother.

Reactions: JuniorNelson

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Does anyone else just want some AHL goon call up to beat the hell out of Matheson in the rematch? And Matheson is supposedly a skill (lol) defenseman. Let's see his skills at coping with pain.

Who cares if it costs the Canucks two points? They aren't going to the playoffs and a worse record improves the chances of getting the other Hughes brother.
Is this the same sexydonut that played haxball?

lawrence

May 19, 2012

the thing is, players have to live with it, as hockey players their are times they will get stapled. But who the heck prepares for a can opener followed by a hard body slam finishing move. Matheson had intentions to injure.

n00bxQb

Jul 26, 2010

No, I want Pettersson's supposed teammates to stick up for him, especially when the GM justifies having certain members on this roster by saying they're there to protect the young guys.

Pogotheclown

Oct 11, 2015
Next time someone claims we need a gudbranson they had best explain what happened last night.

I'm perfectly fine with going for the moral victory by WINNING. Would really welcome going back to the motto of the best Canucks era, which was pound them on the scoresheet.

Too bad we have so many useless players on the roster that hinder that goal because their sole professional level skill is "toughness"

I really wonder what gretzkys career would have looked like beeing european and having no one standing up for him.

Foundational Player

Benning the Incompetent
Mar 27, 2008
BC
Typically I'm all for an eye for an eye retaliation. But there's a limit. Obviously Bertuzzi was way over the line. I thought Torts' behaviour was an embarrassment. But I also thought it was an embarrassment when Marchand and Keith never had to pay their bills.

With that all said, I'm not upset no one went after Matheson. For starters, with who was on the ice, and how the cheap part came a beat or two after a clean hit and away from the play, I don't think the guys on the ice would have really seen the choke slam, and a response from Goldy or Pouliot isn't really sending any message (other than there will be a response, and there is value in that). I was expecting someone to take a run at Matheson as the game went on, but I'm not surprised it didn't happen. Keep in mind, Matheson didn't play much after that hit.

In Matheson's first shift afterwards, Bae blew by him to set up the game winner. Rather Bo, Bae, and Boes just go score. Matheson had 4 shifts after that, one of which was 14 seconds long. The rest were all with less than 8 minutes left in the game. Say what you will, but there's a time and place for retribution. If Goober and Matheson went into a corner together, or met in a scrum, I'd hope Goober would have something to say. But they weren't on the ice together much, if at all, after the hit. Schaller, maybe could have done something, but wouldn't expect a guy in his 3rd game in the uniform to ignore the coach's orders. Beagle, broke his hand. Roussell, first game after a concussion. For all the "meat and potatoes" narrative this board loves, Benning hasn't been building a rough and tumble team.

I hope going forward, there is collective responses if/when teams try running our young guns. But I also don't want to see this team go full Gino every time someone looks at our guys cross eyed. I don't think this one incident is a reason to condemn the team for being ballless, and I expect more appropriate responses in the future.

I share many of your opinions on the breakdown of ice time after the incident. The game was very much still up for grabs and after the Canucks scored, Green obviously shut down any possibility of the players losing focus by seeking retribution.

I would have preferred a response before the end of the game. Anything to send a clear message that such behavior towards the Canucks best player will not be tolerated.

Must say for all the flack that Dorsett took during his tenure as a Canuck (I was not a fan of his contract nor his ice time given) he wouldn't have put up with that bullsh*t and certainly would have sent a message to the panthers whether it be a fight or a hit....probably on his very next shift to boot.

Remember though, that without Gino, Pavel wouldn't have been as comfortable on the ice knowing his best friend on the team had his back anytime, anywhere. Sure most skaters couldn't catch Bure anyway but Gino knew his role on the team and didn't disappoint.

Hope the team realizes that Elias Pettersson is a special player and needs to be treated (protected) like one.

Reactions: JuniorNelson

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
the thing is, players have to live with it, as hockey players their are times they will get stapled. But who the heck prepares for a can opener followed by a hard body slam finishing move. Matheson had intentions to injure.
I think Matheson had intentions to give EP a rough ride (after being humiliated by the kid a little bit)...but intent to injure is taking it a bit too far.

Last edited:

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Can anyone say they weren't proud of Bieksa for stepping in to take the face off for his rookie teammate, Kellan Lain, against Calgary? Not the same exactly as the Pettersson situation but it shows his character and how veteran teammates look out for rookies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->