Confirmed with Link: Matheson Receives Two Game Suspension

NeoCanuck

Jay Beagle? In THIS economy?
Jan 17, 2005
North Vancouver B.C.
As probably mentioned, this pent up frustration by the fan base goes back more than a decade at this point. (Please fill me in if I'm missing any incidents)

2004 hit on Naslund by Moore. (Though the Bertuzzi incident negates this essentially)
2011 Bruins against the Canucks (Marchand speed-bagging Daniel etc..)
2012 Marchand low-bridging on Salo.
2012 Duncan Keith on Daniel Sedin.
2017 Cal Clutterbuck on Brock Boeser. (Somewhat freak accident against the boards)
2018 Mike Matheson on Elias Pettersson.

There doesn't need to be an eye for an eye. But you can only swallow your pride so much and "go for the two points" enough times that really there isn't much left of your pride at the end.

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
Not sure if this has been mentioned but early in Hodgson career with the Canucks he had a hit that had him looking like he had a concussion but it wasn’t. Hopefully that’s the case here.

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
Matheson's going to get nothing. You all know this.

You know ****. You know less than ****. If you and **** went on a date to the PNE, **** would get to wear the I'M WITH STUPID shirt. You know about unions and economics the way I know about menopause.

Let me know when you ever have to work a day in your life without mommy and daddy feeding, clothing and housing your dumb ass.
I hate that i have to read his drivel lately since he is allowed to create too many threads. I had to edit my ignore list and this is what I get, the same stupid trust fund troller bs its always been

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Anyways Canafan we should probably get back to discussing the cheap shot PLUG attacking our gem but lets just leave it at unions take away from our economy, slow down growth, and allow lazys to do nothing and expect everything. But hopefully Elite Peete is back for next game ready to fire away

Agree with the last part. As for the rest, hopefully you’ll grow out of such ridiculous views.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Matheson might get fined, that'll be it. And the rest of the league will take note. Best way to stop Pettersson is to run him, while the Canuck coach and the rest of the bench sits there like mannequins. Better keep your head up as well, Brock.

Reactions: JuniorNelson

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
As far s I'm concerned,it seemed inevitable to me that EP would pay some consequence for being fairly slight...Its unfortunate that it happened through a somewhat vindictive hit,and not an honest hockey play....McDavid also showed up a plug Dman in his rookie year who proceeded to break his collarbone

I remember the Oilers RNH in his first season (who was also underdeveloped like EP),and wondering how the hell he would make it through an NHL season...Sure enough,dislocated shoulder...

The silver lining in all of this,is that there is no doubt that EP is going to be that 1C that we've coveted for years.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
As far s I'm concerned,it seemed inevitable to me that EP would pay some consequence for being fairly slight...Its unfortunate that it happened through a somewhat vindictive hit,and not an honest hockey play....McDavid also showed up a plug Dman in his rookie year who proceeded to break his collarbone

I remember the Oilers RNH in his first season (who was also underdeveloped like EP),and wondering how the hell he would make it through an NHL season...Sure enough,dislocated shoulder...

The silver lining in all of this,is that there is no doubt that EP is going to be that 1C that we've coveted for years.

Not if he develops a concussion history as a teenager. He won't become 'No.1' at anything, other than long stints on IR....and possibly even the worry of premature retirement. Look at how long it took Crosby to recover in the prime of his career. Being 'slight' really doesn't have much to do with it.

Reactions: SillyRabbit

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
What concerns me is the lack of response and emotion from the Canuck players, same thing happened last year when Boeser was drilled into the boards. You don’t have to fight but don’t stand there looking at your skates when your franchise player just got concussed. Chirp, swear, grab a sweater, do something! It seems like the players are playing for themselves and not for one another which is concerning.

Dr Good Vibes

Jan 18, 2010
As probably mentioned, this pent up frustration by the fan base goes back more than a decade at this point. (Please fill me in if I'm missing any incidents)

2004 hit on Naslund by Moore. (Though the Bertuzzi incident negates this essentially)
2017 Cal Clutterbuck on Brock Boeser. (Somewhat freak accident against the boards)

There doesn't need to be an eye for an eye. But you can only swallow your pride so much and "go for the two points" enough times that really there isn't much left of your pride at the end.
I agree with all of this, except I think it was the Lewis hit on Boeser that really pissed people off. the Clutterbuck one was kind of a freak accident.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014

Burrows did jump and knock the snot out of Kieth tho, which was super awesome at the time

Dr Good Vibes

Jan 18, 2010
I've been reflecting on this since last night. Felt like the world was ending.

I don't think the initial contact was dirty. The slam down was and EP landed unfortunately. It was unlucky, and a little malicious. Not the dirtiest play ever. I think the league does need to do something though, send a message it's not okay. Otherwise, I don't see why someone can't do this to Gaudreau, Kane, or another slight, highly skilled player in the league.

I think the biggest thing is Elias needs to get stronger. If he's stronger, has some more muscle, he wouldn't be so easy to pick up and he'd be able to push back against Matheson and prevent himself from getting strung horizontally in the first place. When he's stronger, that won't happen. Alternatively, he does need to be more aware. He's not strong enough to 'post up' when Matheson comes in there. He might have been fine if he kept his feet moving, could've slipped away. I think he'll learn and adapt because he's a helluva smart player.

Not encouraged by reports of Demko being forced to fly when concussed. This team better not screw Pettersson up by treating him poorly, or not giving him time to recover, or rushing him back in and letting him get hit again. If this team lets that happen in 2018 I'm done.

Also, anyone who says 'there's no proof it's a consussion' all defensively, I get it. You don't like our franchise player getting hurt. But seriously, it's a concussion.

M2Beezy

May 25, 2014
I've been reflecting on this since last night. Felt like the world was ending.

I don't think the initial contact was dirty. The slam down was and EP landed unfortunately. It was unlucky, and a little malicious. Not the dirtiest play ever. I think the league does need to do something though, send a message it's not okay. Otherwise, I don't see why someone can't do this to Gaudreau, Kane, or another slight, highly skilled player in the league.

I think the biggest thing is Elias needs to get stronger. If he's stronger, has some more muscle, he wouldn't be so easy to pick up and he'd be able to push back against Matheson and prevent himself from getting strung horizontally in the first place. When he's stronger, that won't happen. Alternatively, he does need to be more aware. He's not strong enough to 'post up' when Matheson comes in there. He might have been fine if he kept his feet moving, could've slipped away. I think he'll learn and adapt because he's a helluva smart player.

Not encouraged by reports of Demko being forced to fly when concussed. This team better not screw Pettersson up by treating him poorly, or not giving him time to recover, or rushing him back in and letting him get hit again. If this team lets that happen in 2018 I'm done.

Also, anyone who says 'there's no proof it's a consussion' all defensively, I get it. You don't like our franchise player getting hurt. But seriously, it's a concussion.
Aint no proof Demko forced to fly when concussed. Thats just one guy making it up cause he hates management. If theres a real source then theres a problem, for sure

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
I noticed Beagle (coming from a Stanley Cup winning team that was a tight group) always chirping, shoving, standing up for his team in the middle of scrums and the rest of the Canuck players just skate away. Sooner than later he’s going to stop doing this. A couple of enforcers won’t stop the problem, it has to be a mob mentality. They have to start playing for one another and the Crest on their chest. Marchand who is 5’8 pounded Lars Eller for over celebrating. Canucks have to earn their respect by becoming a team that can’t be fu**ed with.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
What concerns me is the lack of response and emotion from the Canuck players, same thing happened last year when Boeser was drilled into the boards. You don’t have to fight but don’t stand there looking at your skates when your franchise player just got concussed. Chirp, swear, grab a sweater, do something! It seems like the players are playing for themselves and not for one another which is concerning.
Nobody saw it..It was behind the play....How do you attack something that you didn't even see?

M2Beezy

May 25, 2014
Nobody saw it..It was behind the play....How do you attack something that you didn't even see?
So you think the entire team didnt know what happend for the rest of the game?

When the hockey world saw Pettersson not get up properly, dont you think some of the players would have asked what happend and probably they would have found out, no? There was still 15 minutes of game action after it

Dr Good Vibes

Jan 18, 2010
Maybe they didn't see it when it happened, it was away from the play. I still think the Canucks rolled over and showed their bellies by not doing anything the rest of the game. There wasn't a facewash, a scrum, a tussle, a hard hit, a slash, it was just quiet defensive hockey for the rest of the game. I'm super, super disappointed. There were 11 minutes of hockey where the canucks had the lead. I don't see why you can't try to win and also play hard and aggressive. They went after our franchise player and we barely made a peep.

EDIT: Also, yeah, he was helped down the tunnel by the trainer, and that's right next to the bench, so the initial reaction they might have an excuse, rest of the game no way.

BlueGreen

Jan 3, 2018
My apologies for the long message. So I decided to tune in for the third period last night. I would’ve tuned in earlier but I was in the middle of writing a paper. I saw the hit/body slam live and the whole incident just stinks on so many levels. Needless to say I was livid about what had transpired and the final outcome with Elias being injured is just aweful. I also let my emotions get the best of me in the post-game thread. I was pretty pissed off about EP getting hurt as all of us were. Im not going to comment on why I think Matheson is a douchebag anymore as I’ve already expressed my displeasure about what had occurred, but I did want to mention, as we all know I’m sure, that if Elias suffered a concussion it’s a very serious injury and I hope the Canucks medical staff handles this properly.

I’m not a doctor yet, but I’m currently enrolled in a kinesiology program at a University near me. Coincidencetly we recently had a lecture on sport-related concussions. From what I witnessed last night with regards to EP’s demeanour after his head hit the ice it definitely checks a lot of boxes for immediate concussions symptoms which include; confusion, dizziness, and a momentary loss of consciousness.

A sports related concussion is defined as a”a traumatic brain injury induced by biomechanical forces due to either a direct blow to the head, face, neck or elsewhere on the body with an impulsive force transmitted to the head.

Concussions result in a range of clinical signs and symptoms that may or may not involve loss of consciousness or memory disfunction. Acute symptoms largely reflect a functional disturbance rather than structural injury.

concussions are cumulative. It’s easier to get another concussion if you’ve already had one. Repeated concussions can lead to long term memory loss, psychiatric disorders, and other neurological problems. Second impact syndrome can be very damaging or even fatal.(see Rowan’s law which just came into effect recently).

Concussion injury resolution typically takes 10-14 days and understanding the negative implications of having a player come back to soon is paramount.

Concussion management includes; physical and cognitive testing, return to learn programs, return to play guidelines, and following up with a physician trained in concussion injury management.

I’m sure most of you are aware of this already and my apologies for the long message, but I just wanted to share with all of you what I have just learned on the topic according to recent studies that were taught to me by a professor with a PhD on the subject. I really hope that this incident is handled with extreme caution and the medical staff handling EP’s well-being know what they’re doing before authorizing his return

Reactions: Dr Good Vibes

Dr Good Vibes

Jan 18, 2010
Concussions result in a range of clinical signs and symptoms that may or may not involve loss of consciousness or memory disfunction. Acute symptoms largely reflect a functional disturbance rather than structural injury.

concussion are cumulative. It’s easier to get another concussion if you’ve already had one. Repeated concussions can lead to long term memory loss, psychiatric disorders, and other neurological problems. Second impact syndrome can be very damaging or even fatal.(see Rowan’s law which just came into effect recently).

Concussion injury resolution typically takes 10-14 days and understanding the negative implications of having a player come back to soon is paramount.
This is everything for me right now. I don't want to see him back in next game, or the one after, I honestly don't care if he clears the baseline tests. Not worth the risk. Too dangerous. Others might disagree, but I don't think it's worth taking a gamble on Petterssons' health to earn a couple more points, even if he 'appears' to be fine.

Reactions: lindgren

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
This is everything for me right now. I don't want to see him back in next game, or the one after, I honestly don't care if he clears the baseline tests. Not worth the risk. Too dangerous. Others might disagree, but I don't think it's worth taking a gamble on Petterssons' health to earn a couple more points, even if he 'appears' to be fine.

He needs to sit the next two games out for precautionary reasons. There is zero need to rush him back, other than to sell tickets, and we're in the middle of a long road trip. Keep him on the shelf and healthy until the team is back home.

Also, I would even consider scratching him for next Saturday's home game, because take a look at who is coming to town. What do you think the chances are that Rat Boy will be all over Pettersson? He's probably foaming at the mouth right now.

Reactions: pomorick

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad