Matheson punches Pettersson in the head from behind, body slams him to the ice. Pettersson concussed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
Hmmm thats a perfectly hockey play. Ive seen this done so many times with no calls. Now because he did it to a tiny dude and he got hurt it aint his fault. Thsts a hockey play. Now the canuck fans will just go blind and call it dirty lol
I don't recall anyone else's head being shoved into the ice in that game, or any other game I've watched this season.

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
It wasn't like either of those hits in any way.

Obviously I'm referring to the Saad one, hands into the chest and throw the weak boy down into the ice.

I already called this in the off-season, 150lbs twig Pettersson was going to get manhandled in the NHL.

He needed to bulk before going to the big leagues.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
The hit itself is borderline, driving him down to the ice is suspendable imo.

And it's pretty obvious how many people on this site really don't know much about the NHL - calling Matheson a plug/bum is hilariously ignorant.

Reactions: GrittyHawkDown

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg
Not A Vancouver fan.

Puts his stick between the guys legs, grabs him around the chest or neck and slams him down and some of you are saying clean hit.......okay.

I don't think most are noticing the stick between the legs that was used to put EP off balance before the chokeslam style move he used to injure him.

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
That's not a penalty.

He had the puck. It's not boarding. He hit his shoulder as point of contact and was hard on the kid.

This is hockey. That happens to Marner and that sucks but this is HOCKEY. It's played hard. Literally nothing in that clip isn't anything but hard hockey. This isn't ice ballet dancing.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
It's not a choke slam, his hand was in his chest he wasn't gripping his throat. It happens all the time like this when a guy has someone pinned against the boards, the result usually doesn't happen like this though, that's the difference. It's a 2 minute roughing penalty, which NHL refs almost never call.
Agree to disagree.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
Obviously I'm referring to the Saad one, hands into the chest and throw the weak boy down into the ice.

I already called this in the off-season, 150lbs twig Pettersson was going to get manhandled in the NHL.

He needed to bulk before going to the big leagues.
Once again, that hit was nothing like this hit. He didn't have him pinned to the boards, already in a awkward position, and chose to force his head downwards into the ice. He hit an upright player in the chest.

paragon

May 5, 2010
Really not that bad unless I missed it and he didn't have the puck at all. Either way that's a minor penalty in my opinion. Hate to see the result of it though, never like seeing stuff like that especially with such an exciting player to watch.
Results are what matter though. It's not like Todd Bertuzzi tried to paralyze Steve Moore or if it looked that bad, but it happened. What Matheson did was a rule violation with an intention to hurt Petterson. If Petterson is injured Matheson should be suspended.

Nico Hischier

Nov 22, 2017
The whole point of checking is to separate player from puck. This is a completely unnecessary play. I really hope Vancouver responds.

Oignon Saute

Dec 19, 2011
Uh the original hit is a hockey play but if you think the full force slam after is then you clearly don't care about player safety. No reason for that.

Reactions: clunk

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
How did he throw hin on his head when u fully see he landed on his shoulder than his head hit the ice.... that hockey hit has been a hockey hit for ever! We dont want soft hockey.
It's about the angle of the body.

The hit caused Pettersson to be parallel to the ice, but then Matheson's shove cause his head and shoulder to hit the ice while his legs were stay way in the air.

If a game without this stuff is "soft hockey" then yes I want soft hockey.

Albz

Jun 30, 2018
The risk of dressing a little guy. Marner got punished a lot his first year too.
Exactly. Small guys will get tossed around like that when they play vs huge ass men... and players are gonna want to finish their checks and that play is all hockey play which is nothing to complain.

nuxnuxnux

May 15, 2011
Hmmm thats a perfectly hockey play. Ive seen this done so many times with no calls. Now because he did it to a tiny dude and he got hurt it aint his fault. Thsts a hockey play. Now the canuck fans will just go blind and call it dirty lol
Find me a video of someone doing this please

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
It's about the angle of the body.

The hit caused Pettersson to be parallel to the ice, but then Matheson's shove cause his head and shoulder to hit the ice while his legs were stay way in the air.

If a game without this stuff is "soft hockey" then yes I want soft hockey.

If that is enough to break Pattersson, than maybe he should go back to the AHL and not return until he puts on a bit of muscle.

nuxnuxnux

May 15, 2011
Exactly. Small guys will get tossed around like that when they play vs huge ass men... and players are gonna want to finish their checks and that play is all hockey play which is nothing to complain.
Lol there’s a difference between finishing a check and choke slamming a player to the ice after a hit when they’re in a vulnerable position, [mod]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->