Matheson/Pettersson Incident | Matheson Receives Two Game Suspension

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lenerdosy

Feb 23, 2015
It was a bad hit AND Pettersson isn't ready for the physicality of the NHL.
Guys have already tried to hit him pretty hard into the boards. He does a really good job of taking the hit and absorbing it at the same time before this play. I have been quite impressed with how well he had taken the physicality of guys trying to intimidate him.

Reactions: Bertuzzzi44

clay

Aug 25, 2005
Vancouver
Dirty play with very clear intent to injure. Cowardly that nobody responded to protect/make a statement for the face of the franchise.

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
Turning your back on a player you just made look foolish betrays a naivete I would have thought impossible in anyone who's played check hockey.

No, Pett didn't deserve to get manhandled like that, but a player should always be in a position to defend himself. It's not the All-Star Game every night, thankfully.

As a Canucks fan I can admit this, he should have expected some form of contact and wasn't at all braced for the hit, which is why he was slammed to the ice in the first place.

Reactions: SabresSharks

TeddyBare

Jul 28, 2016
Mississauga, Ontario
I didn't realize that before this hit Matheson was being exposed all over the ice by Pettersson.

Scores his goal when Matheson was the primary defender on him
Breakes his ankles before the hit, and Matheson was the primary defender

Pettersson better get used to scrub d-man with fragile egos coming for his head after he shows them up, its only going to continue

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
If you can't even discuss the basic facts about what happened, how can you expect people to honestly discuss their thoughts on wether the hit is legal or worthy of a suspension. Slamming someone's head into the ice is a serious allegation that absolutely 100% has no place and deserves a lengthy suspension. That's not what happened though.

But, as a person ostensibly capable of reason, you can see that 1. Matheson directed and shoved Pettersson so that his head would go violently towards the ice, and 2. that Pettersson's head whipped violently at the ice. It's the type of event that causes brain injury. You can easily parse that when someone is talking about Matheson slamming Pettersson's head even if it was technically his shoulder hitting first.

Should we have an open discussion about how similar or dissimilar this is to a very clear, head-only slam? Sure, I'm on board with that. But it's also easy for you to see that the people saying he slammed his head simply think it's equivalent. Now you're free to discuss whether or not you agree as opposed to haranguing people about imperfect language that still has a pretty clear meaning.

Cashville

RIP Lindback
Apr 12, 2011
Denver
May be rather unpopular, but this is a step over normal roughing with an unfortunate result imo. I'd understand a couple of games on the suspension front, but shouldn't be more than that.

sexydonut

May 12, 2009
It's not a body slam. You see this type of hit semi regularly. Unfortunately EP is undersized and weak and got manhandled.

I don't live in Miami, is that supposed to be an insult?

You are really conflating hockey with wrestling. Can't really argue when you are blissfully unaware if the actual rules.

As for Florida in general, plenty of violence when you step outside.

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
Elias Pettersson - 176 lbs
Mitch Marner - 175 lbs
Nico Hischier - 175 lbs
Sebastian Aho - 172 lbs
Nikolaj Ehlers - 172 lbs
Johnny Gaudreau - 165 lbs

Tell me more about how the NHL isn’t a place for smaller, skilled players.

This could’ve happened to any number of smaller, skilled star players. The NHL needs to protect the players who make this game fun to watch.

4thTierSport

Feb 15, 2009
Seriously, this is the same DoPS that had no issues with Buf cross checking someone up in the high-back neck head first into the boards after a whistle and says nothing but is reviewing this? There is no god damn logic at all.

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
Mitch Marner - 175 lbs
Nico Hischier - 175 lbs
Sebastian Aho - 172 lbs
Nikolaj Ehlers - 172 lbs

This could’ve happened to any one of these stars. The NHL needs to protect the players who make this game fun to watch.

Could you imagine if this happened to Marner?

The uproar would be thunderous.

DDRhockey

Hockeyfan since 1986
Oct 11, 2017
If you can't even discuss the basic facts about what happened, how can you expect people to honestly discuss their thoughts on wether the hit is legal or worthy of a suspension. Slamming someone's head into the ice is a serious allegation that absolutely 100% has no place and deserves a lengthy suspension. That's not what happened though.
So how did he become all woozy all of sudden. Magic?

You are wrong here. You are just mad that matheson is got schooled.

Reactions: clay

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Mitch Marner - 175 lbs
Nico Hischier - 175 lbs
Sebastian Aho - 172 lbs
Nikolaj Ehlers - 172 lbs

This could’ve happened to any number of smaller, skilled star players. The NHL needs to protect the players who make this game fun to watch.

Small players get rocked all the time.

Here's Gaudreau getting hit by Komarov, who isn't even big himself.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008

You are wrong here.
You can land on your side or shoulder and hit your head on the ice. It's not the same as slamming your head into the ice. There are differences and they matter.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009

You are wrong here.
You can get a concussion from whiplash alone. I'm not even sure his head hit the ice, and if it did it wasn't "slammed into the ice", it was a byproduct of his body hitting the ice. It was a cheap move, but all the "choke slam" and "slamming his head into the ice" rhetoric is ridiculous and blatantly untrue.

canwincup

Aug 28, 2008
Van city
I think what makes this play really dirty is that Matheson went in with the intent to injure Pettersson. He got embarrassed a few seconds earlier so he tried to exact his revenge.

What makes it clear is that he positions his stick between Petterson’s legs so he is put in a defenceless position and then he violently slams him into the ice. I don’t know how many games he deserves but that was a malicious play

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
You are really conflating hockey with wrestling. Can't really argue when you are blissfully unaware if the actual rules.

As for Florida in general, plenty of violence when you step outside.
I don't live in Florida.

No I'm not. You're conflating a hockey play that is borderline roughing with an intent to injure because you're being emotional. You guys are unhinged.

A physically immature/weak player got manhandled. That happens. Unfortunately the outcome was probably an injury.

sexydonut

May 12, 2009
Mitch Marner - 175 lbs
Nico Hischier - 175 lbs
Sebastian Aho - 172 lbs
Nikolaj Ehlers - 172 lbs

This could’ve happened to any one of these stars. The NHL needs to protect the players who make this game fun to watch.
Yet we have these "traditionalist" posters who think anyone smaller than the norm are fair game for dirty plays.

It really is a WWE mindset. Or a 1990s mindset which allowed the likes of Scott Stevens to head hunt Paul Kariya, ruining the latter's hockey career and erasing his memory.

But rules have been changed to emphasize skill, and to ward off lawsuits. The rash of former hockey enforcers and NFL linemen getting CTE is a good incentive.

Reactions: SillyRabbit

Lenerdosy

Feb 23, 2015
Seriously, this is the same DoPS that had no issues with Buf cross checking someone up in the high-back neck head first into the boards after a whistle and says nothing but is reviewing this? There is no god damn logic at all.
yea still don't understand that one...

Love

Feb 29, 2012
NHL vs SHL.

And guess who won.

I’ll take the guy who sniped a goal in Matheson’s face then dangled him so hard he fell down.

But in the NHL if you have too much skill and too much flash, you get targeted and intentionally injured. It’s been happening for as long as the NHL has been around.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
Mean spirited and deserved to be penalized. I don't know if it's a suspension though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad