Matheson/Pettersson Incident | Matheson Receives Two Game Suspension

Status
Not open for further replies.

DopeyFish

Mitchy McDangles
Nov 17, 2009
I don't expect more than 2 games... I think if there is a suspension it will just be one game

Studz

Jun 20, 2015
City of Champions
Suspend the bum.

Attachments

• 472BD8AC-B328-4033-AA05-573A5D8BD210.gif
    472BD8AC-B328-4033-AA05-573A5D8BD210.gif
    2 MB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Reactions: eviohh26

Pattbraderson

Mar 13, 2015
Matheson went a little overboard there, excessive roughing, might get him a game. Pettersen needs to find a bucket that fits and strap it up correctly or that wont be the last time he gets wobbly

Reactions: tny760

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Initial hit was clean, it was the bodyslam that was dirty and a clear intent to injure. It's clear that Matheson was pissed off about being dangled by EP 10 seconds earlier.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
I'm quoting the rule book here;

Roughing- Roughing is a punching motion with the hand or fist, with or without the glove on the hand, normally directed at the head or face of an opponent.

O.K., Matheson did have a punching motion to Pettersson gut. So, I guess roughing is the correct penalty.
Yeah, maybe “textbook roughing” was a bit much, but in other bodyslam type plays I’ve seen, roughing was the call.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Canucks fan that doesn't think it warrants a suspension. I suspect they'll be a fine of some sort. The kid was just too weak. If you're worried about it don't play 175 lb. rooks in the big leagues.

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
The amount of posters in the original thread who seem happy with Pettersson’s head being slammed into the ice shows just how petty a lot of fans are.

Things like “Welcome to the NHL” have no place in a thread talking about the concussion of a 19 year old kid.

I can’t imagine ever being happy to see a player get hurt, no matter how much I hated the team or was envious of their star player.

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
Wow, not a great play by Matheson. Should have been 2 minutes for roughing, maybe even a double minor

member 298589

Injury is unfortunate but not really sure that throwing him down is suspension worthy? Should have been a roughing call on ice and that's it. Worse stuff happens in many games each season.

Matheson still a bum, though. Agree with that.

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
At least I can look at the play and discuss the facts of what happened. You guys are twisting reality bc you’re upset.

Even if his shoulder hits the ice first, the entire design of the move Matheson pulled is to slam his head. And it succeeded. Why die on the "ahem, his head didn't technically hit first" hill? What are you accomplishing other than annoying people who don't like dirty hits (which this was)? If Pettersson's head did hit first, what would that change? It wouldn't be any dirtier of a play because that easily could have happened.

So what's your angle? Do you go around correcting every technically imperfect statement or did you choose this one because you want it to be perceived as less dirty?
When that's pretty obviously your motive, nobody cares about a technicality, they're just going to see weaselly nitpicking and respond to that instead of giving you satisfaction about your semantic garbage.

Beville

#ForTheBoys
Mar 4, 2011
Engerlanddd!
Meh.

This kind of thing happens every few days, people are looking more at the result than the action(s).

But arguably, it was “pre-meditated”. Made to look a fool and went for retribution when it wasn’t needed.

sexydonut

May 12, 2009
Wrestling?

Matheson's body slam and the subsequent rationalizations of it are akin to hitting a wrestler with a folding chair and getting away with it because the referee is looking away.

And no sane person wants hockey to be as dirty or violent as wrestling.

Reactions: Lilou

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
Even if his shoulder hits the ice first, the entire design of the move Matheson pulled is to slam his head. And it succeeded. Why die on the "ahem, his head didn't technically hit first" hill? What are you accomplishing other than annoying people who don't like dirty hits (which this was)? If Pettersson's head did hit first, what would that change? It wouldn't be any dirtier of a play because that easily could have happened.

So what's your angle? Do you go around correcting every technically imperfect statement or did you choose this one because you want it to be perceived as less dirty?
When that's pretty obviously your motive, nobody cares about a technicality, they're just going to see weaselly nitpicking and respond to that instead of giving you satisfaction about your semantic garbage.

If you can't even discuss the basic facts about what happened, how can you expect people to honestly discuss their thoughts on wether the hit is legal or worthy of a suspension. Slamming someone's head into the ice is a serious allegation that absolutely 100% has no place and deserves a lengthy suspension. That's not what happened though.

sexydonut

May 12, 2009
If you can't even discuss the basic facts about what happened, how can you expect people to honestly discuss their thoughts on wether the hit is legal or worthy of a suspension. Slamming someone's head into the ice is a serious allegation that absolutely 100% has no place and deserves a lengthy suspension. That's not what happened though.

Maybe you should be watching wrestling instead of hockey? Not sure how a bodyslam is legal. At least he gets some punishment for this.

If you really wanted to see graphic, gratuitous violence, you need to return to the goon era of hockey. Or you could just enjoy Miami on a long weekend.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
Maybe you should be watching wrestling instead of hockey? Not sure how a bodyslam is legal. At least he gets some punishment for this.

If you really wanted to see graphic, gratuitous violence, you need to return to the goon era of hockey. Or you could just enjoy Miami on a long weekend.
It's not a body slam. You see this type of hit semi regularly. Unfortunately EP is undersized and weak and got manhandled.

I don't live in Miami, is that supposed to be an insult?

4thTierSport

Feb 15, 2009
Um, what? A Knight pulled a similar move on Orpik earlier this week. Hell, I think the Knight’s move was worse because he lifted his leg up behind Orpik’s legs and created a quasi slewfoot when the Knight player pushed back on Orpik’s chest. Play was even stopped because it looked like Orpik was dazed.

This isn’t that uncommon of a play. Maybe the push down was more than those other instances, but I can’t understand how this could be a suspension. The league is annoyed by a head injury but their Interference/USC label is a complete joke.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad