Matheson/Pettersson Incident | Matheson Receives Two Game Suspension

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevs Security

inmateMack/CanesMack/LeafMack/elMacko
May 28, 2018
Toronto, Canada
You should protect all players by consistently enforcing rules. The rules should be consistent regardless of superstar status or journey man call up. you want special treatment for better players
Of course and I agree with you on this. As a fan of the game, though, it's only natural to feel this way when superstars go down. EP was having an incredible start to his career and I'm sure many hockey followers agree with me on this.

To elaborate: I don't think superstars should be the only players protected by rules. Just saying that as a fan it's always disappointing to see things like these happen as opposed to a 4th line grinder having an injury.

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
The no response is what makes almost every Canuck fan here ashamed. Other fan bases should count themselves lucky that they have a team that have each others back.

Mr Plow

Apr 15, 2016
Really the only sensible decision that could have been made. In person would have been over the top and ignoring it completely would have been insufficient.

Sugi21

Dec 7, 2016
His feet were off the ice and he then slammed him head-first into the ice. Were you watching a different game or do your Panther-tinted specs not allow you to see properly?
He landed flat on his upper back it’s the whiplash effect that slams his head!!! If he truly was slammed head first as you imply the outcome would have been more horrendous... perhaps something like this...
52007748-B5FC-45C6-A491-9CF64CA1AAD9.gif

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
Petterson is not mature enough physically to play in the NHL. Desperate Canucks rushed him in without assembling a unit around him.

Petterson's avoidance of contact isn't a valid strategy any more. The players skate too well to avoid. Petterson was never going to make it through the season on a soft team. That said, a normal unaugmented hit would probably been enough. The extra was overkill.

SabresSharks

Oct 2, 2007
Turning your back on a player you just made look foolish betrays a naivete I would have thought impossible in anyone who's played check hockey.

No, Pett didn't deserve to get manhandled like that, but a player should always be in a position to defend himself. It's not the All-Star Game every night, thankfully.

Cane mutiny

Ahoy_Aho
Sep 5, 2006
If the league wants to send a message by suspending Matheson for something that is normally a hockey play that could put a smaller/weaker player in a bad position then so be it. Just be consistent moving forward.

That means when Shea Weber or Chara or Hedman manhandles a smaller player, that results in an injury then they get suspended too.
It wasn't the hit, it's for the unnecessary body slam. He needs to answer for the excessive force used after the hit when his target was most vulnerable. Real ******bag move.

Reactions: Gordie Howe Army

cowboy82nd

Feb 19, 2012
Newnan, Georgia
I think he should be suspended. The hit was fine, but the violent throw to the ice was not. It looks like Matheson also did a “can opener” type move, putting his stick between Pettersson’s legs before throwing him, so that he really couldn’t protect himself. It’s textbook roughing, which is illegal.

Also the context is important - this wasn’t an accident, Matheson is clearly pissed that he got dangled, went after Pettersson to hurt him, and did indeed succeed, concussing him.

It’s an illegal play (roughing), the intent to injure is as clear as you’ll ever see, and it caused a concussion. It should be a suspension.

I'm quoting the rule book here;

Roughing- Roughing is a punching motion with the hand or fist, with or without the glove on the hand, normally directed at the head or face of an opponent.

O.K., Matheson did have a punching motion to Pettersson gut. So, I guess roughing is the correct penalty.

timbermen

Nov 14, 2017
Petterson is not mature enough physically to play in the NHL. Desperate Canucks rushed him in without assembling a unit around him.

Petterson's avoidance of contact isn't a valid strategy any more. The players skate too well to avoid. Petterson was never going to make it through the season on a soft team. That said, a normal unaugmented hit would probably been enough. The extra was overkill.
He showed he could take a hit over an over.What's stoping someone from doing that to Gaugreor Kane.That was a cowardly throw down, if there's no suspension or the Canucks don't go after him, thats BS. Once Green realizes Pettersson is out over a month, Hamsterson should be rag dolled by Gudbranson. I can't beleive Green told him not to respond, not the coach i thought he was by making him look bad.Don't say anything, that's your job at that point.

Reactions: Jimbo57

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Classic case of the NHL discipline being tied to the result and not the action. Matheson didn't do anything that doesn't happen every night in the NHL. Players give an extra shot or shove all the time after a hit. It's unfortunate that Pettersson went down like that and I hope he's OK but I doubt even Matheson expected to be able to manhandle the guy so easily.

This is a 2 minute roughing incident AT WORST.
I've been watching hockey for over 30 years, what Matheson did after the hit was not something that happens every night in the NHL. I say this as someone who loves hard hitting smash mouth hockey and can't stand the Canucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad