Matheson/Pettersson Incident | Matheson Receives Two Game Suspension Pt. II

Status
Not open for further replies.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I'd actually hate it, that's why I won't step on the ice against guys that weight 40-60lbs more than me, just like how Pettersson shouldn't be playing in the NHL. Not sure how anyone can dispute that. All the questions around Pettersson heading into the season were whether or not he was strong enough.

What Matheson did was not a "hockey play" because it deserved a roughing penalty, but those infractions happen. If it wasn't Matheson it would have been another player. Big Buff weighs almost 100lbs more than Pettersson, what happens with that? I'm not arguing what Matheson did doesn't deserve a penalty, but it's not a suspendable play anymore than a cross check. You think another bigger player cross checking Pettersson is going to have a different result? Give me a break.

So... Because Pettersson isn't "strong" enough, that means Matheson can slam him on the ice because he has that extra weight advantage to do so? Are you hearing yourself?

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
Well its a fine decision by the DDOPS. Anyone criticizing the decision and insulting the department deserve a smack in the head. These same hypocrites would support the decision if it happened to their young star level player.

Tbh, I wouldve preferred more than two games though.

Last edited:
Reactions: 13 others

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
So... Because Pettersson isn't "strong" enough, that means Matheson can slam him on the ice because he has that extra weight advantage to do so? Are you hearing yourself?

Uh no, I'm saying that hockey is still a rough game and you can get hurt. There are no weight classes in the NHL. When Pettersson steps on the ice, he's playing against some guys that are literally 100lbs heavier.

You can't expect players to adjust how they interact with each other based on relative strength. Are you going to ask Buff, Chara, or Ovechkin to pull up on someone? Are you saying that if there's a scrum, guys have to be consider how strong the other guy is before engaging?

There's a reason why there is a minimum age. Why not just throw 140lb super skilled 15 year-olds into the NHL and tell guys to be careful.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Uh no, I'm saying that hockey is still a rough game and you can get hurt. There are no weight classes in the NHL. When Pettersson steps on the ice, he's playing against some guys that are literally 100lbs heavier.

You can't expect players to adjust how they interact with each other based on relative strength. Are you going to ask Buff, Chara, or Ovechkin to pull up on someone? Are you saying that if there's a scrum, guys have to be consider how strong the other guy is before engaging?

There's a reason why there is a minimum age. Why not just throw 140lb super skilled 15 year-olds into the NHL and tell guys to be careful.

I’m asking Matheson to not body slam players when he gets deked. Hit Pettersson with a big, solid hit, not throw him on the ice.

HarrisonFord

President of the Drew Doughty Fan Club
Jul 20, 2011
Toronto
Honestly, Matheson got 2 games for being stronger than a 160lb kid.

Really hope Pettersson is okay, because I think he’s an incredible talent. And I hope he’s great for Vancouver for years to come.

However I think the suspension is absolute horseshit.

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
I’m asking Matheson to not body slam players when he gets deked. Hit Pettersson with a big, solid hit, not throw him on the ice.

Matheson did not body slam him, stop using hyperbole. He strong armed him with one arm. Do you seriously think 99% of the other players in the NHL would have been manhandled like that?

Wall of Wonder

Jul 2, 2006
Burnaby, Canada
I watched the nhl video on the verdict and noticed some minimization of the severity of the punishment at the end.
The 3 shown are:
-Interference and Unsportsmanlike contact.
-Injury
-No history.

It mentions forcefully slammed in the video but it does not in the list.
It does not mention the wind up in the list as well.
It mentions injury but not concussion in the list.

Pogotheclown

Oct 11, 2015
I'd actually hate it, that's why I won't step on the ice against guys that weight 40-60lbs more than me, just like how Pettersson shouldn't be playing in the NHL. Not sure how anyone can dispute that. All the questions around Pettersson heading into the season were whether or not he was strong enough.

So Gretzky, Bure and such should never have played in the nhl?

Reactions: sexydonut

notsocommonsense

Apr 24, 2013
A lot more **** got done in the world when everyone wasn't worried about everyones safety. Good bye pyramids

Jesus, you do realize the pyramids were built by slaves or incredibly poor labourers right? Many of them died during construction.

What a stupid thing to say

member 290103

Really hope Pettersson is okay, because I think he’s an incredible talent. And I hope he’s great for Vancouver for years to come.

However I think the suspension is absolute horse****.

LOL. Weak post.

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
So Gretzky, Bure and such should never have played in the nhl?

First, Gretzky started when average player weight was lower by 10-15lbs. Second, I already said there are rare exceptions like Gretzky and no way you can compare him to Pettersson. Third, Gretzky playing weight was in the 180lb range.

Bure was short but he was very strong. He also started in the NHL at 20, not 18. I don't know what weight he started at, but his playing weight was 180-190lbs. For someone under 6ft that is really solid.

Also Pettersson is taller than average but among the lightest in the league. That means he has even less muscle than other players on both a relative basis to his height and an absolute basis due to more of his weight going to his frame.

KK91

Jan 7, 2009
Should never have been a suspension. Petersson is a young star and that is all. If just another pro then no call or at best 2 minutes for roughing.

NHL is getting super soft. Not impressed

Reactions: DanM

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
The DOPS video explains it very clearly. Perhaps watch it before you make a fool of yourself further.

Yeah it's interference and unsportsmanlike. That's a penalty, maybe a double minor, not a suspension.

There only reason we're even taking about this is because a weak Pettersson got injured and the league doesn't want to look like they aren't doing anything about concussions. Any other player and probably the guy doesn't even get thrown to the ice.

Reactions: AmbulanceChaser

member 290103

Yeah it's interference and unsportsmanlike. That's a penalty, maybe a double minor, not a suspension.

There only reason we're even taking about this is because a weak Pettersson got injured and the league doesn't want to look like they aren't doing anything about concussions. Any other player and probably the guy doesn't even get thrown to the ice.

Watch the video. It's explained clearly why it's a suspension. Stop being obtuse.

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
Lol at the comments on Pettersson not fit to play in the NHL. I would like to see you say that had your team drafted him.

Anyway, its not like Pettersson is the first player suffering a concussion. Do I have to remind you with other examples? I seem to recall that Crosby was out for a while. What a wimp!

About the supension, I have no particular comment. I said one game suspention could be warranted but I havent watch through the indcident over and over again so take that opinion with a grain of salt.

farshi

Feb 28, 2012
First, Gretzky started when average player weight was lower by 10-15lbs. Second, I already said there are rare exceptions like Gretzky and no way you can compare him to Pettersson. Third, Gretzky playing weight was in the 180lb range.

Bure was short but he was very strong. He also started in the NHL at 20, not 18. I don't know what weight he started at, but his playing weight was 180-190lbs. For someone under 6ft that is really solid.

Also Pettersson is taller than average but among the lightest in the league. That means he has even less muscle than other players on both a relative basis to his height and an absolute basis due to more of his weight going to his frame.

ignoring everything else wrong in this, EP40 weighs 176lbs which is "in the 180lb range"

Pogotheclown

Oct 11, 2015

Gretzkys weight was exactly 15lbs lower then pettersson when he was a rookie.
The exceptions with bure and gretzky was that their teammates were dave semenko, marty mcsorley and bure had gino odjick.
What two game suspension should really tell intelligent team leaders of the nhl, is that the days of the enforcers are not over.

Reactions: Tomas W

hirawl

Used Register
Dec 27, 2010
In today's hockey that was a minor penalty nothing more. Buff does this all the time. In tomorrow's hockey I hope it does not exist and I sincerely hope it's partly because of this stand the DOPS took.
At the same time I do realise it's very unlikely the league can continue on this path. This type of move happens way too often. Only the results may not be the same.

The result of an illegal play has always impacted the supplemental discipline. But in this case I feel the DOPS made it the deciding factor between basically nothing and two games and I personally think it could turn out wrong.

I hope EP recovers soon and gets back the same. Amazing talent.

vanarchy

May 3, 2013

However I think the suspension is absolute horse****.
I'd like to you to stand by your words when one of the Bruins smashes Marner into a different stadium next April. :laugh:

sexydonut

May 12, 2009

Your editorials are really bad.

Gretzky would have been killed by the goons of his era. He was always slight and skinny. But he had the likes of Dave Semenko and Marty McSorley to beat the cap out of anyone who dared to bother Wayne. Just wait until the rematch when your dimwitted pylon of a defenseman Matheson becomes the meat puppet to some bigger goon.

Peterrsson may be slight, but similar undersized players have become popular in the NHL. Gaudreau, Kane, Krug, Arvidsson and even your discarded Marchessault are small and light and still score.

And you are still in denial about the legality of dim bulb Matheson's hit. The can opener and pile driver are dangerous and illegal. Doing that in a bouncy castle could be okay. Doing that on a hard surface isn't.

And you can trip and concuss even the biggest of players. Ever wonder why Lindros had to retire early? He was bigger than everyone else.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
League got it right here. This is an illegal play - they highlight that it’s both interference and unsportsmanlike conduct, IMO it’s both of those and also roughing. It’s an especially violent slam of Pettersson into the ice, well after the puck is gone, when he’s in no position to defend himself, especially with Matheson knocking his feet out with a can opener move.

Then you say “was this an intent to injure play,” and clearly, yes. Intent doesn’t get any more clear than this - Pettersson dangles Matheson bad, Matheson hunts him down trying to hurt him, taking 3 nasty shots at him in about 5 seconds (elbow, hard hit into the boards, then a really violent can-opener + slam into the ice). And he succceeds, Pettersson was concussed.

Illegal play, intent to injure, causing a concussion - that’s a textbook suspension. Honestly don’t see how people can argue otherwise.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Matheson did not body slam him, stop using hyperbole. He strong armed him with one arm. Do you seriously think 99% of the other players in the NHL would have been manhandled like that?
Doesn't matter. Just because he can do it to the player doesn't mean he should.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad