Matheson/Pettersson Incident | Matheson Receives Two Game Suspension Pt. II

Status
Not open for further replies.

EscapedGoat

Jun 15, 2012
Reading over the posts in this thread, it's apparent that the IQ of many of the posters on this site isn't much higher than the temperature of the weather outside.

It's 108 degrees where I live today. Thats a higher than average IQ. So thank you for the compliment .

sexydonut

May 12, 2009
I am just glad the likes of Scott Stevens, Marchment, Pronger, the Samuelsson brothers etc. are out of the league. Their "style" of play does nothing but smother actual skill.

And now their fans can leave hockey and go for tough man competitions.

Anomie2029

Oct 10, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
I like hard and physical play...

... But that slam was not a 'hockey play' and not in the rules. Fair suspensions IMO.

I want to know what happened to all those 'tough' scrubs the Canucks gave ridiculous contracts to in order to 'protect the kids'. Pathetic response.

Reactions: Sayonara77

The Worst One

Who wants to die?
Oct 5, 2017
Maybe those concussions interfere with your logic and/or empathy. I am not even being snide. I suffered a major concussion in a car accident. For the next 2 years, I didn't feel any joy.
They happened many years ago. I'm fine. My final message is simple. Hockey is a tough sports, that's the way it should be. Concussions are bad. How to avoid concussions without eliminating tough and physical play? I don't know!

Last edited:

LABound

RFA
Sep 2, 2018
Seems some of our guys get dumped on the ice in a similar fashion on a regular basis (esp the smaller ones). Love to see the rational for NOT handing out a suspension to say, Jamie Benn, if he essentially picks up Zucker and drops him. Love to see it.

If he uses his stick between his legs making him unable to brace himself then sure Benn gets suspended .

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
It's 108 degrees where I live today. Thats a higher than average IQ. So thank you for the compliment .
We go by Celsius here in 'Straya. The rest of the world also does, sans the U.S.A and The Bahamas, Belize, Cayman Islands and Palau. Unless you live in one of these countries, you would be claiming that the temperature is 108 degrees celsius. If that were the case, you wouldn't be here, posting on this forum. You would be burned to a crisp. Fried goat.

Checkmate, bigot.

The Worst One

Who wants to die?
Oct 5, 2017
Really? You are quite happy to see players injured and possibly have to live through pain/symptoms for the rest of their lives just so you can be entertained?

What an awful attitude to take. :dunno:
First of all, I'm not happy to see players injured. And second of all, book reading entertains me not hockey.

Last edited:

CloutierForVezina

May 13, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
The initial check was a great hit.

The follow up can opener and hand on the chest to drive an off-balance Pettersson to the ice was bush league shit.

Honestly don't see much difference between what he did and a standard slewfoot. It's just a stupid, reckless play that will likely result in injury.

Hockeypete49

How you like me now!
Mar 22, 2009
South Jersey
Soon in the NHL if you even give someone a "dirty" look it could warrant a game or two. Parros clearly has lost his marbles. George, how many games for a hook in the nuts?

aemoreira1981

Jan 27, 2012
New York City
What I expected. Elias Petterson was eligible to be checked on the play, and the initial check was legal in that it was to a side that Petterson could see of Mike Matheson. However, to then throw a player to the ice is absolutely suspension worthy. That second act justifies the suspension of Matheson. I would have gone 3 games to send a message.

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
The initial check was a great hit.

The follow up can opener and hand on the chest to drive an off-balance Pettersson to the ice was bush league ****.

Honestly don't see much difference between what he did and a standard slewfoot. It's just a stupid, reckless play that will likely result in injury.

You mean like the slewfoot Matheson took from Pettersson earlier in the game? Give me a f***ing break.

Only reason Matheson got suspended is because Pettersson is injured. The only reason Pettersson is injured is because he weights 165lbs soaking weight, 30lbs less than Matheson. The vast majority of players in the NHL would not have been manhandled like that by Matheson. Pettersson should not be playing in the NHL, he doesn't have the physical strength to play in this league. There are the rare exceptions like Gaudreau, but that is super rare.

The big discussion with player safety is around concussions nowadays, but you put together guys that have varied weights as much as 60-70lbs between the smallest and largest players, and there's bound to be problems.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
You mean like the slewfoot Matheson took from Pettersson earlier in the game? Give me a ****ing break.

Only reason Matheson got suspended is because Pettersson is injured. The only reason Pettersson is injured is because he weights 165lbs soaking weight, 30lbs less than Matheson. The vast majority of players in the NHL would not have been manhandled like that by Matheson. Pettersson should not be playing in the NHL, he doesn't have the physical strength to play in this league. There are the rare exceptions like Gaudreau, but that is super rare.

The big discussion with player safety is around concussions nowadays, but you put together guys that have varied weights as much as 60-70lbs between the smallest and largest players, and there's bound to be problems.

Maybe if your player didn't body slam Pettersson and just finished a hard check on him we wouldn't even be discussing this in the first place.

Let me go and get someone that weighs a hell of a lot more than you to body slam you on the ice. I'm sure you'll love it.

CloutierForVezina

May 13, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
You mean like the slewfoot Matheson took from Pettersson earlier in the game? Give me a ****ing break.

Yikes. That's a bad take. I'm guessing you're not too great with physics, eh?

aemoreira1981

Jan 27, 2012
New York City
Maybe if your player didn't body slam Pettersson and just finished a hard check on him we wouldn't even be discussing this in the first place.

Let me go and get someone that weighs a hell of a lot more than you to body slam you on the ice. I'm sure you'll love it.

The video even highlighted it. The check is how the league wants it done. The next act was bush league.

Reactions: sexydonut

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006

I'd actually hate it, that's why I won't step on the ice against guys that weight 40-60lbs more than me, just like how Pettersson shouldn't be playing in the NHL. Not sure how anyone can dispute that. All the questions around Pettersson heading into the season were whether or not he was strong enough.

What Matheson did was not a "hockey play" because it deserved a roughing penalty, but those infractions happen. If it wasn't Matheson it would have been another player. Big Buff weighs almost 100lbs more than Pettersson, what happens with that? I'm not arguing what Matheson did doesn't deserve a penalty, but it's not a suspendable play anymore than a cross check. You think another bigger player cross checking Pettersson is going to have a different result? Give me a break.

Yikes. That's a bad take. I'm guessing you're not too great with physics, eh?

Physics tells me a force = mass x acceleration...you tell me how Pettersson wins in this scenario when he weights 30-40lbs less than the other guy. The acceleration part has no bearing when it comes to the rough parts of the NHL. There will be scrums, there will be shoving, there will be roughing. Guys get penalties, but not suspended.

Reactions: cowboy82nd and DanM
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad