Matheson/Pettersson Incident | Matheson Receives Two Game Suspension Pt. II

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Worst One

Who wants to die?
Oct 5, 2017
Can openers and body slams aren't legal in hockey. Throwing the opposing player into the ice is a great way to cut down on skill and speed.

At least the WWE is staged and has a padded floor. Then again you may want MMA, dog fighting, snuff films.
I hate MMA, dog fighting and snuff films.

TakeTheBody

Jan 10, 2018
Hope Peetey comes back the same. Such a talented player. Matheson i dont think is a bad guy but clearly his worse side came out of him when humiliated by Pettersson all night long. He should expect a fight if he plays their next game against the Canucks in January. I wish no injury to him but I do hope this experience brings the Canucks players a lil closer and there is a lil fire under their back side to back each other up...

Fight??? No one on his team even came to his defense. That might be saddest part of all this. Pettersson is on his way to becoming a really good player. I hope he's back asap. Matheson is a solid player. Clean past. He received two games because Pettersson is on his way to stardom.

Dust

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2016
2 games seems fair to me. I don't think Matheson is trying to drop him on his head, but it's a reckless play and he injured him. Consequences.

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
Revenge fueled lift up and forcefully slam down to the ice away from the play

Yeah sure no problem here

Lmao you make it seem like a body slam...the fact is the Canucks were concerned that Pettersson might have some issues with physical play because of his lack of size. They were proven right...

sexydonut

May 12, 2009
Not the first time you've made this asinine reference to someone and it should be your last.
Gee, did I offend your aesthetic sensibilities?

Fact is, Matheson's can opener and piledriver are straight out of the WWE. In hockey, it's illegal and dangerous.

People who accept Matheson's antics as being "part of the game" are just idiots who are somehow numb to actual violence. Might as well enjoy biker brawls and bums fighting over meat.

But then again you may feel as if the good name of dog fighting has been smeared.

BWJM

Sponsor
Mar 16, 2011
Matheson won't be missed for those 2 games.. Pettersson will be missed for the 7-10 days he will be out. Most people that are calling DOPS soft are probably just Canucks haters, or people that like to see players on other teams get hurt.

Feb 24, 2017
Lmao you make it seem like a body slam...the fact is the Canucks were concerned that Pettersson might have some issues with physical play because of his lack of size. They were proven right...
It kinda is a body slam in that Matheson made Pettersson’s body be in the air before slamming it down on to the ice.

What would you call that?

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Fight??? No one on his team even came to his defense. That might be saddest part of all this. Pettersson is on his way to becoming a really good player. I hope he's back asap. Matheson is a solid player. Clean past. He received two games because Pettersson is on his way to stardom.
Game is changing. Although we all have some caveman inside of us that want's to see villains get their asses kicked, we are moving more to the direction where we are looking at the result of the game and the benefit of the team instead of excacting revenge.

Look at what the Cannucks coach Green said after the game. He made it clear that the objective is to win the game, not get revenge for dirty plays.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
I think the suspension is more based on the injury instead of the action. I hope Pettersson recovers quickly and fully but I don't think a suspension was needed.

I agree no injury no suspension. However the DoPS has long maintained a standard that injury is a factor in suspensions. Sounds unfair on the surface, but it’s a lot easier to objectively measure outcomes then intent.

I think a two game suspension is reasonable for what happened.

Nico Hischier

Nov 22, 2017
Have I been pronouncing the kids name wrong this whole time ? NHL network just said he prefers it to be pronounced like Peeterson

Kale Hulls

May 15, 2013
Terrible precedent to set, but I'll see you all in a week after somebody does something twice as bad as this and gets 0.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
It is rough. Just not to the point of MMA moves. Another fake tough guy online i see. Protecting peoples brains is considered soft...

How did this suspension protect anyone's brain? The damage was already done. Unless you're suggesting suspensions heal concussions.

Huggy43

Jan 13, 2016
Burnaby, BC
Yeah I don't care what he says nobody ever respected Daniel Carcillo.
Cool.... but just so you know: his opinions on hockey are more respected than yours, mine & so many others on here. You know, seeing as he played the game & has dealt with hockey related concussions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->