GDT: Match tre: Alla hagla för Silfverberg! Ducks vs Jets. Klockan 5:00 PM PST 10/6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
In the old days that might have been true. Not so sure today. But either way, if he is being paid to cover the team shouldn't he cover the team?
Yeah I agree. He's never been cutting-edge but I feel like he's even less plugged in than usual. It could just be a change in perception based on the fact that I can't read his damn blog anymore.

Tecumseh

Scorched Earth
Oct 20, 2012
Southbridge, MA
From Stevens:

Does this guy get paid for his indifference or what? :shakehead

Eric Stephens is probably the perfect example of doing exactly what your job description says and nothing more. If he didn't post the lineups there would be no point in him even having a Twitter account.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
I understand your points and they're valid but the kid has gotta jump in sometime if we're gonna try him. I think a 9 game tryout isn't even in the cards anymore but if he's wasting his time in the pressbox and not in Norfolk he should play at some point. There's no sense in keeping him around until there's a systems failure with the pairings. His being with the team means he's earned the right to be with the team, and that should include actually playing.

There is no 9 game tryout. He's a pro. He can be called up at will.

I think he needs some playtime, but the reasonable place to do it at low risk is the 3rd pairing, and it would make sense to have functional pairings above that first. With the top 4 being a mess right now, team wins are more important than getting Lindholm PT. It would make more sense if there are going to be odd/experimental pairings for him to get his first game at home, where BB controls the match ups.

Repercussions of what? You're afraid of changing something that sucks?

Beauchemin was just as guilty at leaving the man alone in the crease for the only ES goal as Fistric. How will subbing Fistric out fix that?

And if the "fix" makes the team more dysfunctional than the current "suck", then yes. I'm not a fan of change for change's sake, just to see what happens. I've yet to hear anyone actually disagree with my analysis. If BB thought Lindholm needed to sit to see the speed of the NHL game then putting him on the top pairing in his first game seems like a valid concern.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
In the old days that might have been true. Not so sure today. But either way, if he is being paid to cover the team shouldn't he cover the team?

I'd really hold my horses on attacking the guy. The OCR pays him to cover the Ducks, and beyond that we really have nothing to go on in regards to whether he lacks commitment or whatever. It's (A) a newspaper (B) in California. I would really not count on them just dishing out the checques to make sure he gets to pre-game-skates in Winnipeg. Print media in non-hockey markets really don't prioritize these things and have to trim enough costs on all kinds of fronts, and will be happy as long as they get their content and he's making the games themselves. I'd bet this is about his employer a lot more than it's about him.

Last edited:

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
I'd really hold my horses on attacking the guy. The OCR pays him to cover the Ducks, and beyond that we really have nothing to go on in regards to whether he lacks commitment or whatever. It's (A) a newspaper (B) in California. I would really not count on them just dishing out the checques to make sure he gets to pre-game-skates in Winnipeg. Print media in non-hockey markets really don't prioritize these things and have to trim enough costs on all kinds of fronts, and will be happy as long as they get their content and he's making the games themselves. I'd bet this is about his employee a lot more than it's about him.

I'm not sure what your point is. Are you saying covering the team should only include going to the games? Especially if it is a newspaper in California? I can't agree with that. If they pay him to cover the team, including travel with the team he needs to be more engaged than this. It's one thing that he may not gossip like other beat writers, but attending practice and games and reporting facts like who is going to play should at least be the minimum acceptable standard. Apparently, even that is too much for him now.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
He didn't post them last game or today. Slept in today.

@icemancometh: Time for 2 1/2 hour nap (hopefully) before winding travel morning. Nite all.
12:24AM

@icemancometh: Vowed to work out more when on the road this season. Got today's in trying to make connection here at O'Hare. #huffinandpuffin

7:25 AM

He was on a plane today, not sleeping in. You guys need to cut him some slack and/or do some research about what he's actually doing before raking him over the coals. The OC Register pays for and likely schedules his travel.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
I'm not sure what your point is. Are you saying covering the team should only include going to the games? Especially if it is a newspaper in California? I can't agree with that.
I'm not saying that, at all.

If they pay him to cover the team, including travel with the team he needs to be more engaged than this. (...)
I'm saying they're probably not doing exactly that. They are in some way - that we really have no club about - paying him to travel after the team, and not with it. And we have no idea what expenses they're covering for, and whether they even give him the possibilities to make pre-game skates on days like today. I really doubt it's such a comfortable situation for him there as you guys just suppose. That's really not the reality with jobs like his for employers like his.

I would like to get more from him, as well, but I'm pretty certain a scenario like today really isn't about him, at all.

EDIT: Thanks, DVM, meant to mention the same things. Well put.

rollingdux

Jun 2, 2012
So Cal
twitter.com
From Stevens:

Does this guy get paid for his indifference or what? :shakehead

He doesn't travel with the team so he does end up missing some morning skates, but what I dislike the most is his rude replies to simple questions. Like jeez, sorry people bother you with Ducks questions.

Better off asking Dan Wood.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
12:24AM

7:25 AM

He was on a plane today, not sleeping in. You guys need to cut him some slack and/or do some research about what he's actually doing before raking him over the coals. The OC Register pays for and likely schedules his travel.

I'm not sure I'd call it "raking him over the coals" expecting basic information requiring no speculation.

Nothing would surprise me when it come to the stupidity of the OCR and how they arrange his "work schedule". Even if they want to pay for his travel I believe many media organizations pay the teams involved to ride on the team planes. Why that isn't the case here, I don't know.

Bottom line is we don't get even basic "reporting" from any local media, even if we pay. Pretty sad.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
I'm not sure I'd call it "raking him over the coals" expecting basic information requiring no speculation.

Nothing would surprise me when it come to the stupidity of the OCR and how they arrange his "work schedule". Even if they want to pay for his travel I believe many media organizations pay the teams involved to ride on the team planes. Why that isn't the case here, I don't know.

Bottom line is we don't get even basic "reporting" from any local media, even if we pay. Pretty sad.

Accusing him of not doing his job because he's sleeping in when he actually got up at 3AM to take an early flight with a connection at a stupid busy airport then have to go through customs does, however. You can't get a late flight into Winnipeg, so unless the Ducks let him on the charter plane this was 100% what was going to happen.

The OC register is a small newspaper, having money issues, covering a niche sport team that can't even sell out its home games while leading the conference. Why would you expect them to shell out more money than they have to? We are lucky the Ducks have any coverage. It would probably be a wise investment by the Ducks to pay them a few grand a month to make the Ducks report free, but that's his job, he's under no obligation (and in fact I'd guess is probably under orders not to) give away information instead of driving it to the website. :dunno:

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Accusing him of not doing his job because he's sleeping in when he actually got up at 3AM to take an early flight with a connection at a stupid busy airport then have to go through customs does, however. You can't get a late flight into Winnipeg, so unless the Ducks let him on the charter plane this was 100% what was going to happen.

The OC register is a small newspaper, having money issues, covering a niche sport team that can't even sell out its home games while leading the conference. Why would you expect them to shell out more money than they have to? We are lucky the Ducks have any coverage. It would probably be a wise investment by the Ducks to pay them a few grand a month to make the Ducks report free, but that's his job, he's under no obligation (and in fact I'd guess is probably under orders not to) give away information instead of driving it to the website. :dunno:

OK, my bad for accusing him of sleeping in. Guilty as charged.

As for the OCR payin his way...I believe when media pay for their writers to fly on the team charter they only pay the equivalent retail cost of a ticket. They don't have to split the cost of the charter.

If the Ducks were smart, they would just pay somebody to "cover" the team and post a free blog. I think the Kings do something like this already. The argument against it (coverage would be biased) is valid but who are we kidding? Is the current unbiased coverage really any more critical of the home team than a "team paid for" blog would be? And I'm not just talking the Ducks here. All home team media coverage of sports teams is pretty slanted. For as little as it would cost, it would be a good investment for the team.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
OK, my bad for accusing him of sleeping in. Guilty as charged.

As for the OCR payin his way...I believe when media pay for their writers to fly on the team charter they only pay the equivalent retail cost of a ticket. They don't have to split the cost of the charter.

If the Ducks were smart, they would just pay somebody to "cover" the team and post a free blog. I think the Kings do something like this already. The argument against it (coverage would be biased) is valid but who are we kidding? Is the current unbiased coverage really any more critical of the home team than a "team paid for" blog would be? And I'm not just talking the Ducks here. All home team media coverage of sports teams is pretty slanted. For as little as it would cost, it would be a good investment for the team.

I absolutely agree. The Ducks are doing a better job this year getting some publicity, but they need to pay for someone out there to cover them, and not the biased drivel coming out of the LA Times.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
I absolutely agree. The Ducks are doing a better job this year getting some publicity, but they need to pay for someone out there to cover them, and not the biased drivel coming out of the LA Times.

I don't even consider what comes out of the Times as coverage. It's more like the random articles you might find on NHL.com or TSN or whatever.

The bottom line is that it's quite pathetic we have an NHL team and beer league coverage of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad