Mat Barzal WILL take a huge step back next season

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
This is very true. The Leafs experienced something very similar with Marner last season as well. Being "sheltered" was a very common criticism against him and he wouldn't do good at all against top QoC. He was then switched to Kadri's line in the 2nd half of the season and his production exploded against far harder QoC. Doesn't shock me that Barzal thrived with more as a go-to guy.
Then don't be shocked when he does not regress next year. Do you really see Lee as mediocre? FILTHY HANDS AROUND THE NET!!

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
IMO biggest issue for him will be if the team overall adopts a more defensive style. I think teams started planning for him pretty early on last year - it doesn't take an offseason to identify a player that you have to look out for, especially when they're dominating to the extent he was.

I don't think the harder matchups will hurt him too much if Tavares leaves, his skating and IQ is absolutely elite. But if the entire team is playing more conscious in terms of preventing goals, he might find that the assists are harder to come by. They were pure run and gun last year and the guy who thought that was a good idea is fired. Doubt the next coach will play the same style.

GeeoffBrown

Jul 6, 2007
85 points is a lot of points in today's NHL. I think Barzal could take a step forward as a player but still have fewer points. Like I could easily see Barzal becoming a 30 goal scorer but only having like 70 pts. Would that be a step back?

Reactions: Svengoolie and SI90

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
85 points is a lot of points in today's NHL. I think Barzal could take a step forward as a player but still have fewer points. Like I could easily see Barzal becoming a 30 goal scorer but only having like 70 pts. Would that be a step back?

To me that’s not a step back if he becomes more of s goal scorer and is doing more things defensively

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
Because my crystal ball is bigger than yours - Mat Barzal for 102 points and 30 goals next season. Take it to the bank.

Also - LOL at Anders Lee being mediocre - funny thing is that poster who I won't quote accuses the Isles of being a 'run n gun' team and then points out the player that's the least run and gun of the entire roster, the power forward who's elite at digging the puck out from the boards, winning every battle there, and the player who parks his butt on a goalies nose and you can't move. He's really gonna be hurt by a non run and gun system, not. LOL

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Maybe his coach will finally expect him to play a 2 way game now. No more cheating matty

He's pretty solvent defensively. He come back deep in his zone (doesn't blow the zone) to collect the puck and break it out himself. He's not cheating. That's how he's good on the rush and in transition: he comes deep to pick up speed. He's not waiting for pucks.

He could probably do better with in-zone positional play, but that's partly the fault of Doug Weight's complete lack of a defensive system and an attribute to most young players writ large.

I mean, Barzal scored so much this year that if you were a betting man, you'd probably pick him to regress. But his underlying numbers were pretty good. If Tavares leaves, he'll obviously have to play more difficult minutes and that may affect him, but there's nothing currently screaming to me that he'll have a huge drop-off. It's possible that if Beauvillier develops further that Barzal's numbers could get even better.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
He's pretty solvent defensively. He come back deep in his zone (doesn't blow the zone) to collect the puck and break it out himself. He's not cheating. That's how he's good on the rush and in transition: he comes deep to pick up speed. He's not waiting for pucks.

He could probably do better with in-zone positional play, but that's partly the fault of Doug Weight's complete lack of a defensive system and an attribute to most young players writ large.

I mean, Barzal scored so much this year that if you were a betting man, you'd probably pick him to regress. But his underlying numbers were pretty good. If Tavares leaves, he'll obviously have to play more difficult minutes and that may affect him, but there's nothing currently screaming to me that he'll have a huge drop-off. It's possible that if Beauvillier develops further that Barzal's numbers could get even better.

Exactly this. You did an excellent description of how he IS good in the defensive zone. He wouldn’t cheat the defensive zone at all. He actively tried to win the puck and get it going the other way.

The one glaring weakness that I did notice, was his blown coverages when coming back to the net.

He would occasionally get fixated on the puck and forget to “keep his head on a swivel.” Several goals were scored by players tapping it in behind his back.

But I’m not concerned, as that is a matter of learning not ability

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Exactly this. You did an excellent description of how he IS good in the defensive zone. He wouldn’t cheat the defensive zone at all. He actively tried to win the puck and get it going the other way.

The one glaring weakness that I did notice, was his blown coverages when coming back to the net.

He would occasionally get fixated on the puck and forget to “keep his head on a swivel.” Several goals were scored by players tapping it in behind his back.

But I’m not concerned, as that is a matter of learning not ability

I don't get the hate, or trying to nitpick his faults. Are people jealous? I dunno.

Barzal is clearly already an elite forward in the NHL, and his Calder is well-deserved (and this is coming from a Canucks fan who is not upset at all that Boeser didn't win).

Mat has few flaws at the NHL level as-is, and if he gets better, I could see him truly being one of the best in the league.

Reactions: Chairman Wang

DarkHorse2

Feb 27, 2002
Id love to know which genius had him 3rd.

reposting from the NYI forum:

Considering Gourde and Sergachev got top two votes, my bet is a Tampa writer put Barzal third.

Chapter Chair
Erik Erlendsson, LightningInsiders.com @Erik_Erlendsson
Members
Mark Didtler, Associated Press, 2007
Martin Fennelly, Tampa Bay Times, 2008 @mjfennelly
Joe Smith, Tampa Bay Times, 2014 @TBTimes_JSmith
Trevor Grout, The Scrum Sports, 2016 @TrevorG_Scrum
Brooks Roland, The Scrum Sports, 2017 @BrooksRoland82

Erlendsson and Smith had Barzal first. The other four haven't released their ballots. I'm thinking Grout or Roland.

Reactions: SteveH124

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
reposting from the NYI forum:

Considering Gourde and Sergachev got top two votes, my bet is a Tampa writer put Barzal third.

Chapter Chair
Erik Erlendsson, LightningInsiders.com @Erik_Erlendsson
Members
Mark Didtler, Associated Press, 2007
Martin Fennelly, Tampa Bay Times, 2008 @mjfennelly
Joe Smith, Tampa Bay Times, 2014 @TBTimes_JSmith
Trevor Grout, The Scrum Sports, 2016 @TrevorG_Scrum
Brooks Roland, The Scrum Sports, 2017 @BrooksRoland82

Erlendsson and Smith had Barzal first. The other four haven't released their ballots. I'm thinking Grout or Roland.

My guess is whoever voted Barzal 3 is an Western American who voted the other 2 Americans over the Canadian

Cleatus

Nov 21, 2008
Calgary, AB, CAN
Get the feeling he’ll finish with less points next season, but mostly because I’m pretty sure he won’t have multiple 5 point games to skew his stats. Points aren’t everything though, so if he can still put up 60-70 while playing a bigger role in a much more defensively responsible team system, it shouldn’t be considered a step back at all.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
If I recall he started the season a little slower and finished stronger as his role increased.
I have no idea whether he’ll get more points or not this season but he certainly hasn’t shown anything to suggest he’d regress. Maybe Trotz will bring in a more defensive system which I suppose could impact his numbers.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
If I recall he started the season a little slower and finished stronger as his role increased.
I have no idea whether he’ll get more points or not this season but he certainly hasn’t shown anything to suggest he’d regress. Maybe Trotz will bring in a more defensive system which I suppose could impact his numbers.

Went pointless in the first 5 games. He was playing well in those games but just didn’t get the points.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->