Mat Barzal or Ivan Provorov

• Barzal

• Provorov

Results are only viewable after voting.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Brazal was the steal of the 2015 NHL draft. However; I went with Provorov. Provorov may be a top 5 defensmn in the NHL; and maybe top 3; and he could win a Norris trophy.

I think Barzal has potential to be a top 5 center in the NHL; and Provorov has the potential to be a top 5 defensmen. I think it will come down to team need a lot of the time. My edge is Provorov because my team has Matthews and Tavares but if my team was Montreal or San Jose; I may be picking Barzal here.

I really like both players a lot. Electric.
The thing that will keep Provy from winning a Norris, is his overall points. They will always be lower due to Ghost being in the top PP unit.

Giroux 36 PP points
Voracek 35 PP points
Ghost 33 PP points
Provy 5 PP points

The Flyers just have no reason to remove Ghost and replace him with Provy since Ghost is a top 3 PP Dmen in the league. So Provy will be a 35-50 point Dman instead of a 55-70 point one if he was getting 1st unit playing time.(I think it's reasonable to say Provy could jump 20 points on that unit to be a 25 point PP guy. Still below Ghost, but still good)

HyPnOtiK

Aug 21, 2007
Philadelphia, Pa
The thing that will keep Provy from winning a Norris, is his overall points. They will always be lower due to Ghost being in the top PP unit.

Giroux 36 PP points
Voracek 35 PP points
Ghost 33 PP points
Provy 5 PP points

The Flyers just have no reason to remove Ghost and replace him with Provy since Ghost is a top 3 PP Dmen in the league. So Provy will be a 35-50 point Dman instead of a 55-70 point one if he was getting 1st unit playing time.(I think it's reasonable to say Provy could jump 20 points on that unit to be a 25 point PP guy. Still below Ghost, but still good)
This might keep him from winning Norris, but he's already a top 10 D, likely top 5 after this season.

Alex K

Apr 20, 2016
Earth
It totally depends on a need. They are both outstanding players with potential to become exceptional. As a Flyers fan there's no way I would trade Provy for Barzal, neither would Isles fans I believe.

Reactions: sydion

Vide

Mar 2, 2015
Love Barzal but I believe Provorov is gonna be an elite #1D and perennial Norris candidate going forward. Hard to pass on that. I think Barzal will have a hard time replicating the season he just had but I expect him to be a 70+ point player for many years. Still, this could go either way. It's very close IMO.

Sasso09

Jan 2, 2009
Chicago
Provorov is the better player in a vacuum but it's close enough to where you choose by team needs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->