Masterton 2015 Finalists

penguins2946*

Letang stupidly easy. Sadly he also had a legit shot at the Norris before his injury.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
idk lol Tootoo would of been much better

Hammond over came...uhhh going to college for a long time and uhhhh having crappy ahl numbers to have a good 25 games in the NHL

If you would have read his story, you would realize that he almost quit playing hockey twice. He has overcome a lot of things to get where he is right now.

He is not going to win, but i understand why he was nominated.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
If you would have read his story, you would realize that he almost quit playing hockey twice. He has overcome a lot of things to get where he is right now.

I dont think thats a good reason at all. Contemplating quitting hockey doesnt seem like a good reason to win

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
dont get the 2 goalies..... they had surprise seasons. Good for them.

I guess there werent many worthy considerations? Stamkos and Rinne maybe?

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
dont get the 2 goalies..... they had surprise seasons. Good for them.

I guess there werent many worthy considerations? Stamkos and Rinne maybe?

Dubnyk wasn't simply a surprise.
Hammond shouldn't be there. He didn't do anything. He was a minor league goalie who played surprisingly well when the guys ahead of him got injured. He didn't beat them out, they got injured. I get trudging through the minors league is tough, and at times feels like a black hole, but I don't see the perseverance or dedication that the Masterton is supposed to represent.
Gionta would be a better nominee, imo.

Dubnyk though was more or less written off by GMs all across the league, after being setup as Edmonton's starter.
Arizona gave him a chance and he completely reinvented - no, relearned his game and rededicated himself. If you watch his style of play this year compared to previously in his career he is a new player.

And it worked. He arguably carried Minnesota into the playoffs.

Written-off and unwanted, public enemy number one, to a complete mental and physical rededication just for a chance to be a backup in the league, to one of the best goalies in the league...
I'd vote for him.

Hard to argue with Letang's situation though.

Last edited:

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
Seems odd. 1 guy came back from a stroke to a Norris caliber season, and the other 2 overcame the fact that they used to suck and got better? I dunno

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013

I'm sure many NHL players contemplate quitting hockey. That's not a reason to be nominated. I would rather have it relegated to players with injuries/horrible things happen then comeback than players who thought about giving up twice.

Zakkk

Nov 18, 2011
Dubnyk and Hammond?

I mean, sure...why not? They played good....

I don't understand this award.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
I'm sure many NHL players contemplate quitting hockey. That's not a reason to be nominated. I would rather have it relegated to players with injuries/horrible things happen then comeback than players who thought about giving up twice.

Who else was their to nominate though?

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Would be a nice troll job if Stone, Karlsson, and Hammond all won their respective awards. I really just want Karlsson to win the Norris tho, couldn't care about the rest. Letang should get this one.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
I think the NHL is trying way too hard to promote its stars. Those two goalies didn't overcome much, but both are starters and highlight reels.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Why does everyone assume a player has to "overcome" something to win this award?

tp71

Enjoy every sandwich
Feb 10, 2009
London
I dont think thats a good reason at all. Contemplating quitting hockey doesnt seem like a good reason to win

I don't know, sounds like dedication and perseverance to still be there to me. Not every case is the same, and if the writers felt they should be nominated who are we to say otherwise? I think anyone who gets nominated from all 30 teams is fine. These are just the top 3 vote getters of the 30 who did.

Hennessy

Ye Jacobites, by name
Dec 20, 2006
On my keister
Sick of this being a recovery ward prize. Give it to Dubs as a consolation for not getting the Hart (which he didn't deserve, but damn...).

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Sick of this being a recovery ward prize. Give it to Dubs as a consolation for not getting the Hart (which he didn't deserve, but damn...).

I don't know how you can say it is a recovery ward prize being that only one out of the 3 nominees has suffered an injury and has recovered from it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad