4 Mon May 20 Portland London 06:00 MDT
5 Tue May 21 Halifax London 06:00 MDT
6 Wed May 22 Saskatoon Portland 06:00 MDT

Halifax with the win.

Last edited:

NTDP

Dec 20, 2010
Cleveland, OH
I think it will be Portland vs London with Portland winning...I dunno yet, early. Halifax is no doubt a good team, if you put them in the OHL for example this season they wouldn't win 58 out of 68 games, but I think they would still win 45-50 games or so. I believe the Mooseheads will be in Saskatoon representing the Q but you also gotta remember they havent faced a team with the type of defensemen that the Oil Kings, Winterhawks, or Knights can bring that do a really good job at shutting down other teams top lines.

Now this is no disrespect to them at all, just saying that they weren't challenged at all defensively in the first two rounds of the Q playoffs. Was impressive sweeping the Huskies like they did, but they didn't have a Scott Harrington, Tommy Hughes, Seth Jones, Keegan Lowe, Musil, Reinhart, Maata...etc. the Drakkar series I think will be much of the same. The Drakkar has a good offense but they can't rely on that to beat Halifax. The Huskies had a lot of point getters also, but if you can't at least contain the top line on Halifax..then you don't have much of a shot. Maybe it's just me, but I think Nate and Drouin will have their hands full when they face some of those big defensemen that the Dub and the "O" can bring.

optimus2861

Aug 29, 2005
Bedford NS
I just hope Saskatoon pulls the same kind of no-show that they did in the WHL playoffs. It would be beyond embarrassing if that squad made the final or, God forbid, won the whole thing after getting swept in the first round. Though if there were a bright side to that, it might finally call into question the practice of giving the host team an automatic berth in the tournament.

Other than that, go Moose!

cnauta

Oct 22, 2011
I really like Portland in the WHL. They look to me like the strongest team that should be in this tournament. Next if I look at the OHL it should be London. And finally I am expecting Halifax to sweep the finals in the QMJHL.

I would love to see a Portland/London final. I think this would be the most entertaining final matchup.

Portland = Defence
London = Offence (even though the coach supposedly teaches a defensive game)
Halifax = A very well rounded team
Saskatoon = well....should not even be at this tournament :(

Shootmaster_44

Sep 10, 2005
Saskatoon
I just hope Saskatoon pulls the same kind of no-show that they did in the WHL playoffs. It would be beyond embarrassing if that squad made the final or, God forbid, won the whole thing after getting swept in the first round. Though if there were a bright side to that, it might finally call into question the practice of giving the host team an automatic berth in the tournament.

Other than that, go Moose!

The host will always get a berth into the Memorial Cup unless the CHL begins to take on the complete costs of running the tournament. Why would a CHL ownership group take on a tournament that didn't feature their team when it could be a financial ruin?

Perhaps this is a WHL only issue, but the arenas would be half full for a tournament not featuring the host. I know for a fact, that if the Blades weren't in it, the games would be as well attended as the CIS University Cup were, around the 4,000 mark. The only reason the non-Blades games will be decently attended is that until this past week, you were unable to buy single game seats. Thus, you ended up with non-Blades games. I have a pair to the OHL/WHL game on Victoria Day because I wanted a pair for a Blades game.

Also, I'm not sure in the WHL especially, that fans travel in huge numbers for tournaments like this. If a nearby team made it (Prince Albert for a Saskatoon based tournament, Victoria for a Vancouver based etc.) you might see a larger contingent of fans come down. But I doubt you will see large numbers of Winterhawks fans in Saskatoon. I realize in the OHL most teams are near enough to each other that Windsor fans would make the drive to Mississauga or whatever. In Quebec attendance would never be a major issue as the arenas are fairly small. The Atlantic rinks are bigger, but I think Junior Hockey is big time enough that fans come out because it is the Memorial Cup.

If you want to eliminate the host team, than the tournament should be hosted by one of the three league champions. However, that means nobody knows where it is until a week or two before it is supposed to happen. I think this also would cause it to be poorly attended. So whether the Blades win the Memorial Cup, as Shawinigan did last year after being bounced in the first round, or they get shelled 10-1 in each game, the host team will stay in the tournament.

The only way that the host team is eliminated from the tournament is if a team hosts the tournament and then looks like one of the lower level teams at the World Juniors (i.e. 3 GF and 50 GA). The Blades despite their poor showing in the WHL playoffs are a competitive team and will at least put in a decent performance against each of the teams.

sbrug

Aug 30, 2012
The format won't change because it's all about money. No one can defend the logic of having a host team when it comes to determining the true Canadian Hockey League champions. Why don't they host the World Series at the SkyDome this year? May as well invite the Blue Jays to play too because it's their home park.

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
does this memorial cup have the potential to play host to the best draft eligible players? I mean can another Mem Cup compete with Jones, Mackinnon, Drouin, Domi, Zadorov, Horvat, Petan, Fucale. in terms of high end draft eligible players? last year only had Reinhart, Sameulsson, and Maatta. to me this seems like a lot of top end players and does this show the quality of this draft?

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
Edmonton, Portland, Halifax, and London/Barrie would make a more representative and better Memorial Cup.

I don't think it's right that Saskatoon has been resting for weeks while everyone else is fighting to the death in the playoffs. Most teams are banged up by the end of the playoffs.

Wish they would figure out a better format but it's probably never gonna happen.

KingKadri

Apr 26, 2013
Halifax
I really like Portland in the WHL. They look to me like the strongest team that should be in this tournament. Next if I look at the OHL it should be London. And finally I am expecting Halifax to sweep the finals in the QMJHL.

I would love to see a Portland/London final. I think this would be the most entertaining final matchup.

Portland = Defence
London = Offence (even though the coach supposedly teaches a defensive game)
Halifax = A very well rounded team
Saskatoon = well....should not even be at this tournament :(

This is false

Portland= Balance (just because they have sick D doesn't mean they cant score, unreal top line and led the dub in scoring
London= also balanced (strong D and also led their league in scoring)
Halifax= great top end skill and a very good goalie (after watching them all year I say well rounded isn't the best way to describe them, they seriously lack talent on the back end)

Last edited:

NTDP

Dec 20, 2010
Cleveland, OH
The Halifax vs Portland game on Saturday should be a great one to watch. For Halifax, Fucale will have to deliver (which he will) and Abeltshouser and Weegar (spelling) will have to seriously elevate their game. They haven't faced a line like Petan, Rattie, and Leipsic yet. I know the Drakkar and Huskies had some good forwards, but that line just tore apart the WHL all year.

The biggest factor in this game I think will be the transition game of Portland, they may have the best transition game in the CHL. Saw them play a few times in the reg. season, and watched all 6 games in the final against Edmonton. When you have guys like Jones who can shut you down defensively, then jump into the rush (sometimes lead the rush) it makes it real hard on the other team. Biggest question is can Halifax keep up defensively. Halifax will get their goals, just not in the bunches that they are used to scoring, because of the types of shut down players they will be facing in London and Portland.

Smokey McCanucks

PuckDaddy "Perfect HFBoard Trade Proposal 02/24/14
Dec 21, 2010
This is gonna be so awesome! What a group of teams this is, the talent level is off the charts.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Does anyone know if there will be a way to watch this online? I would happily pay for a quality stream from Sportsnet. I just ain't going to pay Rogers the ransom money for their useless cable package.

Also, why are we referring to it as the Mastercard Memorial Cup. We aren't on Rogers, Mastercard, or the OHL's payroll.

Last edited:

SimonKnightsman

Dec 28, 2012
Does anyone know if there will be a way to watch this online? I would happily pay for a quality stream from Sportsnet. I just ain't going to pay Rogers the ransom money for their useless cable package.

Also, why are we referring to it as the Mastercard Memorial Cup. We aren't on Rogers, Mastercard, or the OHL's payroll.

It's a CHL event first of all and if you notice the Mastercard Top 10 rankings all season.

It's been named The Mastercard Memorial Cup for at least 10 years now with them getting huge naming rights....Mastercard.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex

I'd guess there'd be a stream or too somewhere.

Cheering on Portland - London for the final.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->