Mass Effect: Legendary Edition | Spring 2021

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
so I started....going to play them in order.

any classes in particular to pick or avoid? I guess avoid is more important.

I usually play a full Biotic and a full Sniper as my Paragon/Renegade characters.

Personally I find the "tech" abilities to be useful (e.g. taking out shields) but better for your companions to take as they aren't as fun.

Biotic is fun because you are throwing your enemies around. Sniper is a glass cannon type build and headshots become entertaining but it's really up to you.

In general I think it's better to focus on one specialization rather than try and be a jack of all-trades.

Reactions: Volcanologist

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Sadly it looks like Steam reviews are steadily dropping.

Issues with the Origin DRM (shocker) and negative mouse acceleration seem to be at the forefront, topped off with a lack of settings.....

That's too bad. Wondering if I should pick it up on PS4 for the time being and circle back to PC sometime in the future...

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Decided to buy it and started ME1 yesterday. The only game I’ve ever played is Andromeda, which for the most part I liked besides some criticisms. I know that game isn’t very popular though.

So I’m pretty much playing this as a fresh new game on PS5 and am liking it so far. The controls are a bit weird but I hear 2 and 3 are better. Not being able to map every special ability, using X to run, and wall cover is all a bit clunky and weird but whatever it’s not a huge deal, and I hear these new controls are even improved from the original.

I also chose not to read any articles for spoilers and no articles on how to “get the best endings” just playing it completely in the dark.

Reactions: Chaels Arms

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Snipers hit like absolute trucks in the first game. God damn.

The sway removal helps, but I think the fact things can actually take headshot damage is a major gamechanger. Apparently in ME1 that wasn't a thing lol.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Been loving going through Mass Effect again with the Legendary Edition!

The gameplay changes are mostly minor, the Mako is GREATLY improved however!

Changes in the inventory system makes it easier to keep it clean.

Thresher Maws are much more challenging, but they removed the xp penalty for fighting using the mako, and since you can now move while repairing it, I find it more enjoyable anyway.

The scaling changes in leveling up is very apparent. I'm playing in classic mode, and I can tell that I will easily clear level 60 by the end. Something that was impossible originally. Always needed a 2nd go around to reach that previously.

There are noticeable changes in the gun mechanics and sounds, for the most part improved, but they seem to have weakened the sniper rifles a bit... though you can shoot with them far more frequently.

I used to love it when I was charged unexpectedly by an enemy in the heat of battle, but got my sniper rifle over in time to catch them and watch them go flying back. Not very likely in the Legendary Edition unless you get a perfect headshot. The pistols also do a 3-4 shot rapid fire now instead of just the single shot per trigger pull. I am very much a fan of that change.

The graphical changes are many, but the texture and lighting changes are the most significant and noticeable. The lighting (especially in 4k with HDR) is fantastic! Looks much more real. Also the reflections on objects and clothing etc looks fantastic as well.

Another change I noticed, the drones in the 1st 2 stages of the Rogue V.I. mission are a lot tougher. The 3rd stage, previously noticeably tougher than the 1st two, felt easier than before, so likely overall they were just evened out.
(Another sniper rifle note, shooting out the nodes in this mission using the sniper rifle used to take only 2-3 shots, now it takes 8 - clearly showing the rifle is much weaker)

The load times on the PS4 Pro are crazy fast, thus they sped up the elevator speeds on the citadel. You now have the option to skip squad banter and news updates, but I prefer the seamless feel those provide, and some of the squad banter in the elevators are pure gold!

Literally the elevator trip takes only as long as those at the new high speeds they travel, so no way will I be skipping them.

The splash screens when landing on planets with the mako are short as hell, I can imagine on a PS5 you may only get just a flash of the screen at most vs the few seconds I see on the PS4 Pro... all this makes me wish even more that ME2 wouldn't have scraped the attempt at making it a seamless experience like the first tried for.

Will be jarring even more going from what is now a successful seamless ME1 experience to mission complete review screens all the time again.

Now excuse me while I go land on a few more planets, wreck some shit up, kill some more thresher maws and some Geth.

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
I'm playing as a solider again, but this time I'[m going for a Renegade run. It's fun being a straight up dick in games.

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
Having the DLC's in the legendary edition.... I finally now know why I was under arrest at the start of ME3.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Downloaded it last night. Excited to finally give it a whirl.

I've played the trilogy more times than I can count but it's one of my absolute favourites. Some may call it popcorn entertainment, but it's damn good popcorn.

Having the DLC's in the legendary edition.... I finally now know why I was under arrest at the start of ME3.

Yeah I remember playing through that ME2 DLC for the first time (after completing the trilogy multiple times) and realizing how much of a difference that made on the overall story.

Really not great that was DLC and not main story.

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
I'm just getting rolling into ME2 right now (played them all before when they originally released), and loving it.

Does anyone else spend like 3 hours before even starting each game crushed by indecisiveness about which class to play? :confused:

Reactions: Jovavic

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
I can't help but feel brosheps get screwed by the character creator. Everything I tried to make comes out looking horrible.

Meanwhile femsheps come out looking really good. Guess it's the trade off of femsheps initially looking horrible in mass effect 1 and 2 and having the better, revamped templates from 3 be universal now.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
Can you map more than one power on consoles in ME1? I was going to play as an adept this time around but going in and out of the wheel constantly is enough to make me want to switch an hour in.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Can you map more than one power on consoles in ME1? I was going to play as an adept this time around but going in and out of the wheel constantly is enough to make me want to switch an hour in.

Nope. As a completely new player it took me some time getting used to that but I’m pretty good at it now. Doesn’t feel like way too much of a chore.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Nothing more satisfying than exploding the souls out of poor mercs with the Mako.

1328670_20210530104106_1.png

Reactions: Surrounded By Ahos

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad