Status
Not open for further replies.

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
as if you had a choice?

this is a compliance issue at this point. Keep being happy to comply my friend. Unwavering submission, obedience and compliance and asking no questions is what is keeping this whole thing going even with the +99% survival rate

I can’t roll my eyes hard enough to this type of bullshit.

Yes, people wearing masks are being compliant. The horror. Yet we still have covidiots comparing this to the flu still.

Fireonk

Jan 10, 2006
I know I shouldn't get amazed about the lengths anti-maskers will go to compare Covid to the flu, but I still do every day.

Covid has already killed 200k+ in the US and counting, WITH MASSIVE MITIGATION MEASURES PUT IN PLACE. The flu in it's worst year kills 60k. And that is with basically nothing done other than the flu shot which about half the people get.

No consideration for the fact that the southern hemisphere had a substantial reduction in the flu this year because of the same mitigation measures so even that 60k number isn't close to comparing apples to apples.

No consideration for the fact that without the death numbers there are a lot more people going to the hospital with Covid than the flu.

Just no consideration really.

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
Our 20-21 flu #s will be minuscule from the covid precautions. All while covid keeps climbing. That alone should tell you something.

Reactions: thegr8one66

Jerkob Slavin

Likable Jerk
Mar 8, 2012
Monroe, NC

this study, if accurate, confirms the uselessness of a non n95 mask

I find myself typing this a lot... and it pisses me off. Not 100% effective does not equal "useless."

Seatbelts are not going to save you EVERY time, but they mitigate the seriousness of many/most automobile accidents. We don't look at a traffic fatality and say, "let's scrap those USELESS freedom-choking harnesses!"

SMDH.

Jerkob Slavin

Likable Jerk
Mar 8, 2012
Monroe, NC
Not happening. Call me whatever names you want. It's about compliance to you people not safety.

You are selfish, lack empathy, and are probably unpopular (or soon will be). If you get this, I hope you are MAJORLY symptomatic... not because I wish harm on you, but because an asymptomatc case for you means a lot of pain and suffering from those forced to breathe your selfish virons.

(You invited me to call you names)

Reactions: Tad Mikowsky

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
as if you had a choice?

this is a compliance issue at this point. Keep being happy to comply my friend. Unwavering submission, obedience and compliance and asking no questions is what is keeping this whole thing going even with the +99% survival rate
Your science or medical degree is from what school? Or, you think you are Marlon Brando on a motorcycle.

waingr0

May 14, 2010
You are selfish, lack empathy, and are probably unpopular (or soon will be). If you get this, I hope you are MAJORLY symptomatic... not because I wish harm on you, but because an asymptomatc case for you means a lot of pain and suffering from those forced to breathe your selfish virons.

(You invited me to call you names)

Can you guys come up with something new?

P.S. I see old people everyday and they love seeing me without a mask. It reminds them it isn't all doomsday, and they like to see me smile. If they don't have a problem with it then why do you?

Sounds remarkably similar to when motorcycle helmets and seatbelts became mandatory... except it isn't about compliance. It's about safety. The whole point is safety.

Where does it end? A line has to be drawn at some point right? Should we all just stay inside forever? That way no one dies right?

The deaths attributed to smoking and alcohol make covid look like nothing. And yet all we do is tax it (for safety?).

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: BillPrep

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
Where does it end? A line has to be drawn at some point right? Should we all just stay inside forever? That way no one dies right?

The deaths attributed to smoking and alcohol make covid look like nothing. And yet all we do is tax it (for safety?).

Lol, great examples to support your "argument". Ones where actually put severe limitations on some to protect the greater population (DUI/public smoking bans).

Leafmealone11

Aug 7, 2020
Your science or medical degree is from what school? Or, you think you are Marlon Brando on a motorcycle.

You don’t think it’s a little strange and fishy people cant run business in a proper manner but it’s fine for kids to go trick or treat during this “end of the world” pandemic?
Seriously? It’s ok for everyone to literally go door to door and take things from everyone’s house. That does not add up at all

waingr0

May 14, 2010
Lol, great examples to support your "argument". Ones where actually put severe limitations on some to protect the greater population (DUI/public smoking bans).

That is a good point. However mandatory masks I would say is equal to banning alcohol. 19 and older (depending where you live) are trusted with alcohol even with all the dangers involved. Yet we can't trust people not to sneeze in each other's faces? And again, the deaths attributed to alcohol absolutely eclipse covid, so what gives?

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
You don’t think it’s a little strange and fishy people cant run business in a proper manner but it’s fine for kids to go trick or treat during this “end of the world” pandemic?
Seriously? It’s ok for everyone to literally go door to door and take things from everyone’s house. That does not add up at all

Seems a bit of a straw-man, no? Don't seem to recall anyone advocating for covid precautions and trick or treating.

That is a good point. However mandatory masks I would say is equal to banning alcohol. 19 and older (depending where you live) are trusted with alcohol even with all the dangers involved. Yet we can't trust people not to sneeze in each other's faces? And again, the deaths attributed to alcohol absolutely eclipse covid, so what gives?

Bolded is exactly the reason. People just can't seem to do what is necessary without some form of intervention/enforcement.

And, aside from DUIs (which, again, we enforce) those alcohol related deaths are a personal choice and only impact the individual doing the drinking. You sneezing everywhere isn't a great comparison as it impacts everyone inside ~6m or so.

I'm fine with you not wearing a helmet on your motorcycle. It's Darwin at it's finest. This, not so much. However, if it were the opposite where masks only protect the wearer, I'd be all in favor of lots of people going maskless.

Reactions: thegr8one66

waingr0

May 14, 2010
Bolded is exactly the reason. People just can't seem to do what is necessary without some form of intervention/enforcement.

And, aside from DUIs (which, again, we enforce) those alcohol related deaths are a personal choice and only impact the individual doing the drinking. You sneezing everywhere isn't a great comparison as it impacts everyone inside ~6m or so.

I'm fine with you not wearing a helmet on your motorcycle. It's Darwin at it's finest. This, not so much. However, if it were the opposite where masks only protect the wearer, I'd be all in favor of lots of people going maskless.

Enraged alcoholics are a danger to society (and there are plenty of them). Domestic abuse. How about a family getting killed by a drunk driver? What about the unnecessary hospitalizations?

Also never in my life have I seen someone sneeze on another in public.

Fireonk

Jan 10, 2006
Enraged alcoholics are a danger to society (and there are plenty of them). Domestic abuse. How about a family getting killed by a drunk driver? What about the unnecessary hospitalizations?

You keep bringing up sneezing like that's the only way this spreads. You think all those Republicans were just taking turns sneezing on each other the past week?

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV

As I stated earlier, public intox, abuse, DUI ... all with societal protections in place because we can't depend on people not to do it.

Have you ever been within 20ft of someone that coughed or sneezed in your direction? Then you got hit.

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
I have heard nothing about Halloween, one way or the other. I live 35 miles from NYC, and some of the schools are already closing. The wash your hands thing may be overblown, but this is the mask thread. I knew people who are dead because of it, and we have an orange problem here in the USA.

How far along are you in this formal survey?

Reactions: Summer Rose

Leafmealone11

Aug 7, 2020
I have heard nothing about Halloween, one way or the other. I live 35 miles from NYC, and some of the schools are already closing. The wash your hands thing may be overblown, but this is the mask thread. I knew people who are dead because of it, and we have an orange problem here in the USA.

Our tv and radio stations are talking about trick or treating being fine for some reason or other, it makes no sense
The reason I bring it up is everyone talks about it being stupid and selfish to not wear a mask. I just don’t see why it’s safe to go door to door at all

Reactions: ThreeLeftSkates

waingr0

May 14, 2010
Have you ever been within 20ft of someone that coughed or sneezed in your direction? Then you got hit.

If I am getting hit by a sneeze 20ft away then how is a piece of cloth going to protect me? I can still smell a fart from 20ft even with that cloth underwear protection. Also one sneeze and now you have a wet snotty mask, what happens if they sneeze a second time!

As I stated earlier, public intox, abuse, DUI ... all with societal protections in place because we can't depend on people not to do it.

Even with those societal protections death attributed to alcohol eclipses covid. Should we not just straight up ban alcohol? You pro mandatory maskers should be all about that no? Many lives would be saved.

Last edited:

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
Mandatory masks & public smoking bans align perfectly. Good job providing the best example why mask mandates are legal, moral, and for the public good.

Public smoking bans aren't to protect the smoker, they are to protect everyone else from the second hand smoke. Mask mandates aren't for the wearer, they are to protect everyone else from the (potential) viral load.

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
If I am getting hit by a sneeze 20ft away then how is a piece of cloth going to protect me? I can still smell a fart from 20ft even with that cloth underwear protection. Also one sneeze and now you have a wet snotty mask, what happens if they sneeze a second time!

Absurdity of the fart comparison aside ... Why You Can Smell a Fart Through a Mask

First, sneezing/coughing individuals shouldn't be out and about anyway, if you're following guidelines. Otherwise, yes they should change it out.

Even with those societal protections death attributed to alcohol eclipses covid. Should we not just straight up ban alcohol? You pro mandatory maskers should be all about that no? Many lives would be saved.

Again, the difference being collateral damage. I'm fine if you go full on "Leaving Las Vegas". Your call, your consequence. Want to smoke in your own house. Fire up.

waingr0

May 14, 2010
Thank you for providing the cleanest & more straight forward argument in favor of a mask mandate, even if you set off to accomplish the exact opposite.

You (I mean we) nailed it! Congratulations, the mask debate is over.

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
In Finland we have an interesting situation with masks right now. The government took its sweet time even recommending them, but now it's a 'strong recommendation' to wear them. It could even become obligatory in appropriate places and situations, but that would apparently require new legislatory changes, and the parliament is far from anywhere near agreement on that. I like the approach of decision-making on the measures devolved down to local administrations as their situation calls. (Nothing novel here. But glad to see it happening.)

What I've noticed recently, the risk group people are unsurprisingly wearing masks, even if they mostly help the others, and the youth are wearings masks. The latter bit was surprising. Our 30s and 40s age groups are the worst offenders and indeed lead the new cases stats... I'm inclined to think now mask wearing was maybe a good idea all along, but more data needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->