Movies: Mary Poppins Returns

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
That's not Mary Poppins! The real Mary Poppins flies in with an umbrella, not a kite. This one's a fraud!

I'd rather watch a movie with Julie Andrews and Dick Van Dyke reprising, even if they are really up there in age.

Reactions: Cloned

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
A story like this doing the feminist gender flip thing would do well to combat stereotypes but unfortunately combating stereotypes isn't really the goal of gender flipped casting.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Paaaaaaaaaaaaaass

Funny enough I looked up the cast-just for shits and giggles-Dick Van Dyke is on the cast list.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Is it fair to say the original Mary Poppins is the #1 kid's movie of all-time?

The Wizard of Oz probably doesn't qualify as a "kid's movie"

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
A story like this doing the feminist gender flip thing would do well to combat stereotypes but unfortunately combating stereotypes isn't really the goal of gender flipped casting.

I'm not sure how well Mark Poppins would've worked, but the outrage would've been hilarious.

Funny enough I looked up the cast-just for ****s and giggles-Dick Van Dyke is on the cast list.

Yeah, it sounds like he plays the son of the banker in the original film and even has a song and dance number.

It's hard to believe that he's 92.

Last edited:

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
.........................................................................................................

I have no words, and I refuse to use a meme.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
I'm surprised by the negative reactions in this thread. Remakes/Sequels to Disney classics is pretty commonplace now, and if you are going to do it, I'd say Emily Blunt and Lin Manuel Miranda are two of the more likable stars to headline something like this.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
I don't understand the disdain towards these remakes & reboots

If you're not interested in seeing them, then you're not the target audience

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I don't understand the disdain towards these remakes & reboots

If you're not interested in seeing them, then you're not the target audience
I don't care about this movie or the original either way, but I don't really understand this repeated sentiment that if something is not directed at you, then you automatically forgo all right and reason to have an opinion about it. That terrible Dragonball movie was for kids too, but I didn't see anything wrong with fully grown adults who once enjoyed the original raising an eyebrow and being kind of appalled by what was done to it.

Regardless of whether something is meant for you or not, you can still have a respect or attachment to the charm behind something that you feel is now being grossly deformed, and that's still a valid thing to comment on. It can still be recognized as a shame when it happens.

Last edited:

Blueblood9

Dec 11, 2011
Nashville, TN
Hasnt disney been trying to make a sequel basically since the original?

Anyway the original was one of my favorites as a kid (behind the original Petes Dragon) but ill give this a shot. Cant think of anyone else that fits better as the new mary poppins then Emma watson

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I'm surprised by the negative reactions in this thread.

For what it's worth, I wasn't reacting negatively. I was joking. I don't mind this. That could change if it's no good or if it's more of a remake than they're letting on, but, so far, it looks like something that I would watch eventually.

Cant think of anyone else that fits better as the new mary poppins then Emma watson

It's Emily Blunt. You probably just mixed up the name or were thinking of the live action Beauty and the Beast. I often confuse Emily Watson and Emma Watson, myself.

sobrien

RAFFLCOPTER
Jul 19, 2009
South Jersey
If it's not Yondu, I won't watch.

DXiPUM0X4AAuOG6.jpg:large

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad