Movies: Marvel Cinematic Universe Discussion - Part 4

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Apparently RDJ told in an interview with Howard Stern that Disney were ready to push an Oscar nomination for him for Endgame but he told them not do it.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Apparently RDJ told in an interview with Howard Stern that Disney were ready to push an Oscar nomination for him for Endgame but he told them not do it.
He had a lot of good quotes in that interview. He had a good take on Scorsese too.

It's amazing the road he's gone down, his recovery and becoming the face of the MCU and being a major reason for why it's as successful as it is.

Sombastate

Jun 19, 2011
Las Vegas
He had a lot of good quotes in that interview. He had a good take on Scorsese too.

It's amazing the road he's gone down, his recovery and becoming the face of the MCU and being a major reason for why it's as successful as it is.

I think that the casting decision that landed RDJ as Iron Man is the single greatest casting decision of all time.

Reactions: Plub and discostu

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
That was an interesting clip. Glad RDJ has that perspectives.

I think it’s good that some people, like Scorcese, remain film snobs. It demonstrates passion. Not everybody has to like or even respect EVERYTHING.

I kinda wish Howard hadn’t cut him off though because it almost sounded like RDJ was going to talk about film makers like Scorcese reacting to Disney swallowing up so much of the industry on the strength of these movies.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
not only that but the contract he negotiated for the MCU must be the best one of all time. He is one smart man and a great actor.

It was such an all or nothing bet for Marvel, that eventually with those big paydays he got near the end, it was such a moneymaker for Marvel.

If Iron Man didn't succeed, Marvel would have gone bankrupt. Instead, they sold for over $4B to Disney.

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012
It's a bit snobbish but I would mostly agree with him. Although I've enjoyed most of the MCU films, I've never had any desire to rewatch any of them. They're good films overall but they've just never hit that excellence other films have in acting, sound, visuals, or story. Theme park ride is a pretty good comparison but I'm not surprised to see Disney fanboys get butt hurt over it. Sorry, MCU isn't the greatest thing since sliced bread. Get over it.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
It's a bit snobbish but I would mostly agree with him. Although I've enjoyed most of the MCU films, I've never had any desire to rewatch any of them. They're good films overall but they've just never hit that excellence other films have in acting, sound, visuals, or story. Theme park ride is a pretty good comparison but I'm not surprised to see Disney fanboys get butt hurt over it. Sorry, MCU isn't the greatest thing since sliced bread. Get over it.

No one's claiming that.

Marty's just sour grapes because no studio picked up The Irishman. The comment about Marvel films invading theaters... Yeah, all those 3/4 MCU films this year sure kept The Irishman out of the theaters... :facepalm: John Campea "turned heel" on Scorsese on today's show and several times vented on the false logic that without Marvel or comic book films (let's not forget Scorsese brought Joker to WB's table), people would flock to theaters to watch "serious drama films".

Last edited:

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
Scorsese has some truths to his comments, but he's definitely coming off a little whiny right now. I understand his frustration, but the reason studios didn't take on The Irishman is because it's a 3.5 hour movie with a $140 million budget that probably wouldn't make much money. That's not Marvel's fault.

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012
No one's claiming that.

Marty's just sour grapes because no studio picked up The Irishman. The comment about Marvel films invading theaters... Yeah, all those 3/4 MCU films this year sure kept The Irishman out of the theaters... :facepalm: John Campea "turned heel" on Scorsese on today's show and several times vented on the false logic that without Marvel or comic book films (let's not forget Scorsese brought Joker ot WB's table), people would flock to theaters to watch "serious drama films".
He's misguided in his frustration. Blame Hollywood execs for being afraid to take risks. Disney is just exploiting the market. Blame the game not the player, as they say.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
There is nothing wrong with what Scorsese is saying. Calling them theme park movies is the same as us calling them popcorn movies. The vast majority of people like movies to be entertained and get away from the real-world. That's why movies like MCU, Star Wars, Fast & Furious, Jurassic Park/World, Mission Impossible, John Wick, etc. all do so well. No one should really claim that most of those are great movies, but we all enjoy them and they'll make a ton of money.

I don't understand the reaction to his reaction. It's not like his comments will change anything, the market will dictate that, so it's not like we need to stop him from shutting these movies down.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
It's just an old guy not understanding what movies people want to see on the big screen. Between the increased cost to attend and the massive advancement in the in-home watching experience, there are just a lot of things people prefer to just watch in private at home.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
There is nothing wrong with what Scorsese is saying. Calling them theme park movies is the same as us calling them popcorn movies. The vast majority of people like movies to be entertained and get away from the real-world. That's why movies like MCU, Star Wars, Fast & Furious, Jurassic Park/World, Mission Impossible, John Wick, etc. all do so well. No one should really claim that most of those are great movies, but we all enjoy them and they'll make a ton of money.

I don't understand the reaction to his reaction. It's not like his comments will change anything, the market will dictate that, so it's not like we need to stop him from shutting these movies down.

It's not what he originally said but what he said after that. Plus also the fact he admitted to never watching a Marvel movie to the end. Basically he's done an HFBoards scouting report on European player, watched the stats and couple of video clips and declared him a bus despite the scouts high ranking.

Last edited:

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Yeah, it's just a guy that's out of touch with today's market. He's also getting a crazy amount of publicity for this, which is what he wants. Cinemas aren't going to do what he says and choose to lose money, so who cares. Narrative films are still out there, I'd say the Joker is a narrative film.

And Scorsese bought that one to WB...

The GOAT Kareem Abdul-Jabbar also put it well in writing: Kareem Abdul-Jabbar: Scorsese Isn’t Wrong About Marvel (He Isn’t Right, Either)

OT but I think it's great that he's a producer on the new Veronica Mars season.

Reactions: bleedblue1223

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Yeah, it's just a guy that's out of touch with today's market. He's also getting a crazy amount of publicity for this, which is what he wants. Cinemas aren't going to do what he says and choose to lose money, so who cares. Narrative films are still out there, I'd say the Joker is a narrative film.

Yes pulling some quotes from the article it's all 'art snob' stuff.

“We shouldn’t be invaded by it. We need cinemas to step up and show films that are narrative films.”

And his idea of a "narrative film":

"It isn’t the cinema of human beings trying to convey emotional, psychological experiences to another human being"

Which personally has never been what resonates with me. Either way though his main point is:

“Theaters have become amusement parks. That is all fine and good but don’t invade everything else in that sense,” he said. “That is fine and good for those who enjoy that type of film and, by the way, knowing what goes into them now, I admire what they do. It’s not my kind of thing, it simply is not. It’s creating another kind of audience that thinks cinema is that.”

Where I'd say he's correct in that it isn't good if there's only one type of movie being made - this would like a Canadian sports channel showing the Leafs and only the Leafs because they're the biggest market and no one else matters... but I've always thought the movie industry was pretty solid here. Where I'd say he's wrong is the 'cinema is only what my idea of cinema is'. Ironically he' was part of the "movie brats" group who basically did the same thing redefining what Hollywood was from the 60's-80's.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
Scorcese is right.

Marvel films aren't about real people dealing with real problems in tangible or emotional ways. They're about people using their superpowers as a means to ignore or solve all their problems without actual confrontation or change. Goodfellas is a all time great because it simultaneously shows the allure of the gangster lifestyle and the humans who live in it, and is never equivocal that these people are monsters.

There's nothing wrong with Marvel films being fake as hell. The Western genre was the contemporaneous Marvel superhero film of the '50s and '60s for the exact same reason. You just didn't need an Iron Man suit as an excuse for your Id to run wild; just a six shooter and the setting of rural Nebraska.

That said, Gunn is an exception in that he seems like he's trying to make actual movies. And he has every right to be angry at someone crapping on his work.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Yes pulling some quotes from the article it's all 'art snob' stuff.

And his idea of a "narrative film":

Which personally has never been what resonates with me. Either way though his main point is:

Where I'd say he's correct in that it isn't good if there's only one type of movie being made - this would like a Canadian sports channel showing the Leafs and only the Leafs because they're the biggest market and no one else matters... but I've always thought the movie industry was pretty solid here. Where I'd say he's wrong is the 'cinema is only what my idea of cinema is'. Ironically he' was part of the "movie brats" group who basically did the same thing redefining what Hollywood was from the 60's-80's.

Except that isn't what's happening. Comicbook films amount to maybe 5% of annual releases (I think John Campea or RMB mentioned that figure) in theaters, so to say they're invading theaters is inherently factually wrong.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Except that isn't what's happening. Comicbook films amount to maybe 5% of annual releases (I think John Campea or RMB mentioned that figure) in theaters, so to say they're invading theaters is inherently factually wrong.
It's not just comic book movies. Fast & Furious isn't a comic book movie, but it's the exact same type of movie that Scorsese is talking about. Those are the big blockbusters nowadays that get the budget and marketing and screens, it's just Scorsese doesn't understand why that is. It's like Speilberg saying streaming movies shouldn't be nominated for awards. It's just sort of ironic coming from those guys considering how they changed the industry when they came up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad