Movies: Marvel Cinematic Universe Discussion - Part 4

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Vulture was mad at stark for stealing a job he had and then attacked a plane full of stark tech and tech from the war in avengers. Chitauri etc etc.

It's a very small detail you're angling at. It was still too stark involved, both movies. Spidey has moments in the comics where he's very invoked with the fantastic four and avengers but he also has a rogues gallery and other people that make his story, HIS story, compelling. Some of us want that. I want that. People seem to be triggered that I want that.

giphy.gif

Thing is Spiderman wasn't this young for most of the comics run. I don't see any issue with him having a father figure or a mentor fora period of his life. Reed Richardswill likely be the next. Since Feige thinks the long game, I'd assume the character arc fro Spidey to become more a man of his own in about 5-8 years.

Last edited:

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
Vulture was mad at stark for stealing a job he had and then attacked a plane full of stark tech and tech from the war in avengers. Chitauri etc etc.

It's a very small detail you're angling at. It was still too stark involved, both movies. Spidey has moments in the comics where he's very invoked with the fantastic four and avengers but he also has a rogues gallery and other people that make his story, HIS story, compelling. Some of us want that. I want that. People seem to be triggered that I want that.

I was just pointing out that he wasn’t using Stark tech, which is why I said it was a minor detail haha.

Again, you keep throwing around the “triggered” word, and it seems like you’re the only one around here actually getting worked up.

Reactions: Jussi

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I was just pointing out that he wasn’t using Stark tech, which is why I said it was a minor detail haha.

Again, you keep throwing around the “triggered” word, and it seems like you’re the only one around here actually getting worked up.

Their vernacular is rather revelatory.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
If you like him so much, why can't you even spell his name? Spider-Man....

They introduced one other guy? I don't remember any of the previous movies doing Vulture or Mysterio.

Did you complain this much when Sam Raimi went with his webbing being a biological part of his body?

At the end of the day the Spidey in the MCU is done well, he is age appropriate, well acted, we got to see the Iron Spider suit, see him interact with other heroes and be part of the Avengers. Only the two first Raimi movies are at the same quality. His third and the two Garfield movies are subpar.

I actually liked that. Don't like how they make it a gadget.

Netflix as well was rumoured to be interested

Would make sense as they really need to add to their catalog as they have lost a lot in the past months.

When it comes down to it, if Apple wants Sony they will get Sony. They have so much cash on hand that it could be a straight cash deal if need be.

Plus lets not forget Apple is launching a streaming service so they will also need A) Content and B) Give people a reason to sign up. The Sony catalogue would give them something to start with while they make their own content. At least Netflix has years of established series/customers.

Actually it can. Sony can sell off parts. They can give up their TV catalogue, movie or other parts. Amazon, apple and Netflix want to bolster their catalogue, that's how they can. Sony can still exist as an entity that keeps some properties they don't want to give up.

That's assuming Sony sells. They would need such a ridiculous offer that they can't refuse it. Amazon wanted to but didn't. If you understand how loaded that company is, it should tell you that offer has to be nuts. Stupid amounts of billions.

This is a good point, anyone buying Sony knows they will lose Spider-Man (arguably the most popular superhero in the world) so why not tell Sony to keep him/few other assets and just produce or co-produce the movies.

Well Apple is worth about $990 billion in assets.

I swear you must be the only person annoyed at Spiderman in the MCU. :laugh:

FWIW Apple IIRC has about 250-300 billion cash on hand, the most out of any company.

Last edited:

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
Some news on the Disney+ series related to production budgets, and impact on the current Marvel television series.

As Marvel Studios Moves Into Series, TV Unit’s Focus Is Unclear

All of the shows that Marvel Studios is producing are expected to be six to eight episodes in length with budgets comparable to a Marvel film project, which typically run between $100 and $150 million.

So, production budgets will be pretty close to feature film levels. From the scope of the projects, I think this was presumed, but interesting to see laid out.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
James Gunn Calls for Marvel & DC Unity as Marvel Sends Gift to the ‘Suicide Squad’ Director

Starting production on #TheSuicideSquad, I received perhaps the coolest and sweetest start-of-production gift ever, along with a note of how excited they are for the movie from Kevin, Lou, Victoria, Mary and Jonathan at @marvelstudios. They made me this incredible scrapbook of our journey so far on #GuardiansoftheGalaxy. It’s a thick tome packed with memories that brought a tear to my eye. As I’ve said so many times, at the end of the day, Marvel and DC fans have a lot more in common than they do not. I am now and have been for almost all my life, both. Maybe you like one more than the other – that’s cool – but that doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy them all or that you have to tear the other down. I know that I and my partners at both Marvel and DC believe that what’s good for one studio is generally good for all: spurring each other on daily with heartfelt, spectacular, and innovative entertainment that keeps audiences around the world loving movies based on or inspired by sequential art. #marvel #dc
Let’s go, team(s).

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA

:rolleyes:

People defending Marvel movies anytime they get criticised is the worst thing about the MCU.

Gunn is so full of shit.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth

People defending Marvel movies anytime they get criticised is the worst thing about the MCU.

Gunn is so full of ****.

Scorsese literally just said Gunn’s films aren’t "real cinema."

Why would he not be upset about that? Yeah, god forbid the guy defend his own work. Scorsese is 100% right about them being like amusement park rides, but he crossed the line saying they're not real cinema. And obviously someone like Gunn is going to take offense to that. Why is he full of shit?

Last edited:
Reactions: Jussi and Vaheh

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Scorsese literally just said Gunn’s films aren’t "real cinema."

Why would he not be upset about that? Yeah, god forbid the guy defend his own work.

I think the theme park comparison is quite apt. I love the MCU and don't consider myself any sort of movie buff/critic. I like them for the spectacle.

I love the people calling him jealous. :laugh:

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
I think the theme park comparison is quite apt. I love the MCU and don't consider myself any sort of movie buff/critic. I like them for the spectacle.

I love the people calling him jealous. :laugh:

Right. There is truth in what he said, but he took it a little too far. Like, who is he to determine what "real cinema" is for other people? That's the part of his comment I have an issue with. And, I obviously understand Gunn's dislike towards the comment, because he works hard on those films.

But yeah, there are MCU fans who are going overboard with it as well. As is the case with anything anymore.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
Gunn has a right to be offended, but, should also recognize that there's little value in hitting back. Scorsese is not alone in his view of comic book films, but he's coming at it from a level that not many others can.

Marvel isn't the underdog anymore. They are the most dominant force in the industry. Gunn is getting tons of money to make films under both DC and Marvel. Both movies are going to make a ton of money. You don't have to respond to every critic, even if you have a valid gripe.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
Gunn has a right to be offended, but, should also recognize that there's little value in hitting back. Scorsese is not alone in his view of comic book films, but he's coming at it from a level that not many others can.

Marvel isn't the underdog anymore. They are the most dominant force in the industry. Gunn is getting tons of money to make films under both DC and Marvel. Both movies are going to make a ton of money. You don't have to respond to every critic, even if you have a valid gripe.

Well he probably doesn't respond to every critic. Scorsese is a little higher regarded than that, so it probably has more impact on him.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa

Gunn is so full of ****.

I agree with OhCaptain here, why should Gunn not be upset that a filmmaker he respects and who had a movie that was trashed before people saw it and he is doing the same thing. If the MCU movies aren't cinema what are they?

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
Well he probably doesn't respond to every critic. Scorsese is a little higher regarded than that, so it probably has more impact on him.

But Gunn is a big enough deal that he can address with Scorsese through a more private channel. A Twitter comment adds fuel to the fire and makes the issue bigger.

I'd be pissed off if I was Gunn as well, especially since he respects Scorsese. But, I don't think Scorsese really meant any harm by it. He's an old school filmmaker, and the genre doesn't connect for him. The incoming internet attack from marvel fans are not likely to convince him otherwise.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
I agree with OhCaptain here, why should Gunn not be upset that a filmmaker he respects and who had a movie that was trashed before people saw it and he is doing the same thing. If the MCU movies aren't cinema what are they?

Action packed thrill rides. Like Scorcese said, they're like a theme park ride. I genuinely wouldn't consider them "cinema".

The MCU is literally the only thing I go to the theatre for and to call me a cinephile would be absolutely ridiculous.

The MCU is fun superhero movies. They aren't high art.

This is like getting mad at Bob Dylan for saying he doesn't like the Black Eyed Peas.

Reactions: Violenza Domestica

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Then what is cinema?

I don't know, but I will defer to Scorcese over MCU Stans.

The guy doesn't care for superhero movies and its f***ing obnoxious that a person like him expressing his opinion creates a social media frenzy.

But I guess its good for a days worth of content. None of this discussion will matter one way or the other in another 24 hours anyway. :dunno:

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth

The guy doesn't care for superhero movies and its ****ing obnoxious that a person like him expressing his opinion creates a social media frenzy.

But I guess its good for a days worth of content. None of this discussion will matter one way or the other in another 24 hours anyway. :dunno:

It's more than just "MCU stans" disagreeing with him on this.

Mario_is_BACK!!

ACK! ACK ACK! ACK!!!
Nov 29, 2003
Charleston, SC
www.caseandpointsports.com
Action packed thrill rides. Like Scorcese said, they're like a theme park ride. I genuinely wouldn't consider them "cinema".

The MCU is literally the only thing I go to the theatre for and to call me a cinephile would be absolutely ridiculous.

The MCU is fun superhero movies. They aren't high art.

This is like getting mad at Bob Dylan for saying he doesn't like the Black Eyed Peas.

Massive, towering spectacle like Marvel films are the beauty of cinema. They are cinema. It’s as much cinema as a slow burn crime drama. To say otherwise is kind of silly.

Reactions: Jussi

David Dennison

I'm a tariff, man.
Jul 5, 2007
Grenyarnia

The guy doesn't care for superhero movies and its ****ing obnoxious that a person like him expressing his opinion creates a social media frenzy.

Idk, is it crazy to think they drum up controversy on purpose for the free advertising? Scorsese with The Irishman, Phillips with The Joker. It doesn't even matter who you are or aren't attacking, it bounces back and forth in the media for a few weeks, everytime getting mentioned along with "the Joker premiering October 4th".

MCU is closer to TV than cinema with the neverending story (or lack of story) and sequels. There isnt much of a beginning, middle or end to any of it.

Reactions: Pilky01

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad