Movies: Marvel Cinematic Universe Discussion - Part 4

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
The relationship will not end. It is too valuable for both. That's why they made a deal.
Both needed a resolution. Sony knew they couldn't come up with a way to fix that end and Marvel knew they needed Spiderman to be written out on their terms so they can also move on as they positioned him to be a big part of the Avengers.

Both sides are planning to move forward after that. People are reading way more into it than it is. Sony still is moving forward with their own shared universe but they need that story resolved so they can.

I get it, people have this hard on for any steaming turd Marvel squirts out, but this seemed obvious the moment it was resolved for 2 movies only. 1 standalone Spider-Man movie to wrap up that Skrulls bit and the Avengers bit where Spider-Man was positioned to be a big part.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
Both needed a resolution. Sony knew they couldn't come up with a way to fix that end and Marvel knew they needed Spiderman to be written out on their terms so they can also move on as they positioned him to be a big part of the Avengers.

Both sides are planning to move forward after that. People are reading way more into it than it is. Sony still is moving forward with their own shared universe but they need that story resolved so they can.

I get it, people have this hard on for any steaming turd Marvel squirts out, but this seemed obvious the moment it was resolved for 2 movies only. 1 standalone Spider-Man movie to wrap up that Skrulls bit and the Avengers bit where Spider-Man was positioned to be a big part.

I wouldn't be so sure of that. Aside from a 3rd Spiderman movie, the deal between Disney and Sony also includes Spiderman being used in a "team-up" movie sometime after that. Before that's all said and done there's a good chance Apple or Netflix will have bought Sony, thus reverting all of rights to Sony's Marvel characters back to Disney.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I wouldn't be so sure of that. Aside from a 3rd Spiderman movie, the deal between Disney and Sony also includes Spiderman being used in a "team-up" movie sometime after that. Before that's all said and done there's a good chance Apple or Netflix will have bought Sony, thus reverting all of rights to Sony's Marvel characters back to Disney.
Explain that part to me, why can't someone else acquire the Spider-Man rights if a different company purchases Sony?

Mario_is_BACK!!

ACK! ACK ACK! ACK!!!
Nov 29, 2003
Charleston, SC
www.caseandpointsports.com
Explain that part to me, why can't someone else acquire the Spider-Man rights if a different company purchases Sony?

It’s how the original contract was written. If/when Sony is sold the rights to Spider-Man and affiliated characters revert back to Marvel. And Marvel ain’t selling so there ya go.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
There's a way it doesn't have to. If Sony sells most but keeps that property, they're still able to function as a studio that owns that property but sells the rest to apple or Netflix.

A big suck it.

Even if they could do that, why would they? I understand why you’d be immature about it, but don’t see why they would.

Reactions: Jussi

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
There's a way it doesn't have to. If Sony sells most but keeps that property, they're still able to function as a studio that owns that property but sells the rest to apple or Netflix.

A big suck it.

I'm glad you have a copy of this contract. I'd love to read it if you'd be so kind as to share it.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House

And if Sony are not sold in the near future, they'd have time to negotiate on another extension.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
Even if they could do that, why would they? I understand why you’d be immature about it, but don’t see why they would.

I think it's a valid question. As it is, it may not make sense for a buyer to purchase the full Sony company. It's very diverse, and it's full suite of assets may not be of value. If it's going to get chopped up anyways, there may be ways to retain the rights.

This is all built into a contract that none of us have access to, nor would we have the knowledge to interpret. The value of these rights are likely worth north of a billion. I doubt it's cut and dry.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I understand why you'd be childishly annoyed by it. But the franchise for Sony pulled in something like 8b or whatever the figures are. So any company wanting to buy them will lose that anyway so why would a company, suddenly lose that when they can Co- produce it.

Do you have any business sense or just a fan boy that is so biased that you get triggered by anyone that doesn't blindly love this as much as you.

Hit the ignore if it butt hurts you so much.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
I think it's a valid question. As it is, it may not make sense for a buyer to purchase the full Sony company. It's very diverse, and it's full suite of assets may not be of value. If it's going to get chopped up anyways, there may be ways to retain the rights.

This is all built into a contract that none of us have access to, nor would we have the knowledge to interpret. The value of these rights are likely worth north of a billion. I doubt it's cut and dry.

Thing is, would it make sense for Sony to hold on to one asset and make movies only for the asset? If they are trying to get out of the movie business by selling, they would not hold on to this one part.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
From what I understand or have read, it doesn't work like that. It's the whole studio or nothing.
Actually it can. Sony can sell off parts. They can give up their TV catalogue, movie or other parts. Amazon, apple and Netflix want to bolster their catalogue, that's how they can. Sony can still exist as an entity that keeps some properties they don't want to give up.

That's assuming Sony sells. They would need such a ridiculous offer that they can't refuse it. Amazon wanted to but didn't. If you understand how loaded that company is, it should tell you that offer has to be nuts. Stupid amounts of billions.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
Actually it can. Sony can sell off parts. They can give up their TV catalogue, movie or other parts. Amazon, apple and Netflix want to bolster their catalogue, that's how they can. Sony can still exist as an entity that keeps some properties they don't want to give up.

That's assuming Sony sells. They would need such a ridiculous offer that they can't refuse it. Amazon wanted to but didn't. If you understand how loaded that company is, it should tell you that offer has to be nuts. Stupid amounts of billions.

Well Apple is worth about $990 billion in assets.

I swear you must be the only person annoyed at Spiderman in the MCU. :laugh:

Reactions: OhCaptainMyCaptain

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
I understand why you'd be childishly annoyed by it. But the franchise for Sony pulled in something like 8b or whatever the figures are. So any company wanting to buy them will lose that anyway so why would a company, suddenly lose that when they can Co- produce it.

Do you have any business sense or just a fan boy that is so biased that you get triggered by anyone that doesn't blindly love this as much as you.

Hit the ignore if it butt hurts you so much.

Dude, I’ve admitted on here I’m okay with Sony doing solo movies. Also, I’m the one triggered here? Relax :laugh::laugh:

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Well Apple is worth about $990 billion in assets.

I swear you must be the only person annoyed at Spiderman in the MCU. :laugh:
Because it's Spider-Man in mcu. And his solo movies aren't really that solo. Mcu connects it so much that it takes away from the awesome characters he has in his universe. You seem to be reading it as something else.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
Because it's Spider-Man in mcu. And his solo movies aren't really that solo. Mcu connects it so much that it takes away from the awesome characters he has in his universe. You seem to be reading it as something else.

Uh, have you had any experience with Spiderman outside of the Rami trilogy or the ASM movies? Him teaming up with other Marvel characters is hardly uncommon.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Uh, have you had any experience with Spiderman outside of the Rami trilogy or the ASM movies? Him teaming up with other Marvel characters is hardly uncommon.

Yup, he frequently shows up in FF stories or at Baxter Building. Plus he has a bromance going it Johnny Storm. If they cast him him right, they'vet got gold.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Yes. Teaming up. But when even his two stand alone movies are still so attached, it's hardly a stand alone.

First one - he's fighting a guy stealing stark tech after being fired and replaced by starks people and is heavily stark influenced movie.

Second one - he's fighting a guy pissed af being fired by stark and wants stark tech...wait am I talking bout the first movie or the second one. Oh right.

ZWwKrsD.mp4

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
Yes. Teaming up. But when even his two stand alone movies are still so attached, it's hardly a stand alone.

First one - he's fighting a guy stealing stark tech after being fired and replaced by starks people and is heavily stark influenced movie.

Second one - he's fighting a guy pissed af being fired by stark and wants stark tech...wait am I talking bout the first movie or the second one. Oh right.

ZWwKrsD.mp4

Minor detail, but Vulture wasn’t using Stark tech most of the movie.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Minor detail, but Vulture wasn’t using Stark tech most of the movie.
Vulture was mad at stark for stealing a job he had and then attacked a plane full of stark tech and tech from the war in avengers. Chitauri etc etc.

It's a very small detail you're angling at. It was still too stark involved, both movies. Spidey has moments in the comics where he's very invoked with the fantastic four and avengers but he also has a rogues gallery and other people that make his story, HIS story, compelling. Some of us want that. I want that. People seem to be triggered that I want that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad