Movies: Marvel Cinematic Universe Discussion - Part 4

ItsFineImFine

Aug 11, 2019
Actually re-watched Infinity War & Endgame during the holidays, pretty damn fun. My opinion of both films went up a bit even though my initial viewing was on the big screen. The scenes where they pause almost for a sitcom like audience response were a bit awkward especially in Infinity War though. Endgame was a bit more tonally even with them being all sad and emo and stuff for most of it.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
My guess is one of two things happened, or a mix of both:

1. Derrickson wanted more horror, and Fiege did not want that. They said this would be horror, but they kind of walked that back since then, saying more along the lines of horror "sequences." This is probably the most likely thing, I would guess.

2. As has been mentioned, this movie is going to tie into WandaVision. It's possible that may have limited what Derrickson could do, and he didn't like that. The MCU is like that in general, but this could be an even more severe case of that.

Maybe it's something else, but these two things seem like the most likely reasons.

Power Man

Grrrr
Sep 30, 2008
221B Baker Street

1. Derrickson wanted more horror, and Fiege did not want that. They said this would be horror, but they kind of walked that back since then, saying more along the lines of horror "sequences." This is probably the most likely thing, I would guess.

2. As has been mentioned, this movie is going to tie into WandaVision. It's possible that may have limited what Derrickson could do, and he didn't like that. The MCU is like that in general, but this could be an even more severe case of that.

Maybe it's something else, but these two things seem like the most likely reasons.
Agreed

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
It's a little concerning that there's been a continuous issue with creative differences with directors, but, I think an important element here is that the first Dr Strange was very independent from the MCU, and probably had a lot more freedom.

The next one seems like it's serving as a quasi-Avengers film.

The problem for Feige is that it isn't easy to find directors that are able to manage the heavily integrated movies. The Russo Brothers have done the heavy lifting in this regard, and have moved on. He'll need to find others that can bring that cohesion and work within the corporate environment, while being talented enough to bring artistic value to the film.

Reactions: NyQuil

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
Anyone have any thoughts on a MCU movie watch order? Do you go in the actual movie release date order or chronological based on when the movies are set?
You gotta follow the movie release dates. Some movies are set right after the events of other movies. For example, Avengers Age of Ultron is set right after CA Civil War and directly effect one another.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
It's a little concerning that there's been a continuous issue with creative differences with directors, but, I think an important element here is that the first Dr Strange was very independent from the MCU, and probably had a lot more freedom.

The problem for Feige is that it isn't easy to find directors that are able to manage the heavily integrated movies. The Russo Brothers have done the heavy lifting in this regard, and have moved on. He'll need to find others that can bring that cohesion and work within the corporate environment, while being talented enough to bring artistic value to the film.

Continuous? Before this, there's only been one director change.

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006
But Derrickson is known for the genre and in Dr Strange movie featuring Wanda and probably Nightmare, it would be spectacular tbh

But I’m sure Feige wants something lighter for kidz

I think it is more Disney than Feige. Feige held the mouse off the best he could during the infinity saga...but I think Marvel is going to more influenced by execs moving forward.

Pretty disappointed because I was really looking forward to this. If DC is smart...they should be moving their future movies in the direction of Joker. There is definitely going to be a hunger for those types of comic movies.

Reactions: Centrum Hockey

Power Man

Grrrr
Sep 30, 2008
221B Baker Street
I think it is more Disney than Feige. Feige held the mouse off the best he could during the infinity saga...but I think Marvel is going to more influenced by execs moving forward.

Pretty disappointed because I was really looking forward to this. If DC is smart...they should be moving their future movies in the direction of Joker. There is definitely going to be a hunger for those types of comic movies.
You are probably right

Disney wants to appeal to the largest audience possible to make max $$$$$

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018

There is so much more you can do with the multiverse with the Fantastic 4 than you can do with Dr Strange and the existing characters like Marvel Zombies,The Council of Reeds,etc. It also might be more crowd pleasing if someone like Reed Richards who is Tony Stark like invent's a multiverse traveling machine than Dr Strange warping to different universes.A multiverse movie should probably wait until more characters are introduced

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad