Movies: Marvel Cinematic Universe Discussion - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
Marvel has been keeping their future release schedule beyond this year pretty tight, but curious as to what people expect.

The officially have two movies on the release schedule for next year, one in May and one in November.

The May slot will be interesting as they've had their surest bets in that slot the last few years, but when GOTG3 got delayed, it's a lot harder to think of what the can put in there that's a safe bet by Marvel standards. It will be the longest gap between MCU films in a long time. And that's if they hit that date. I'm not sure if any of their pipeline projects are far enough along to guarantee they have something.

Black Widow has been confirmed, but I don't think they've landed on filming dates yet. There's casting rumours for The Eternals. Black Panther, Doctor Strange and Captain Marvel are all likely getting a sequel, but they haven't gotten to any confirmed release dates or anything.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
because they took the biggest villain and from the Iron Man comics, The Mandarin, and pissed all over it.

same idea as Suicide Squad getting all its hate because of Leto's Joker
The Mandarin has always been a shitty villain though. Iron Man's individual villains have always been sub-par.

It's far from perfect, but I respect that it a) tried to do something different, and b) there are a lot of really good moments in the movie.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
Marvel has been keeping their future release schedule beyond this year pretty tight, but curious as to what people expect.

The officially have two movies on the release schedule for next year, one in May and one in November.

The May slot will be interesting as they've had their surest bets in that slot the last few years, but when GOTG3 got delayed, it's a lot harder to think of what the can put in there that's a safe bet by Marvel standards. It will be the longest gap between MCU films in a long time. And that's if they hit that date. I'm not sure if any of their pipeline projects are far enough along to guarantee they have something.

Black Widow has been confirmed, but I don't think they've landed on filming dates yet. There's casting rumours for The Eternals. Black Panther, Doctor Strange and Captain Marvel are all likely getting a sequel, but they haven't gotten to any confirmed release dates or anything.
The Eternals? What an odd group to look at. They're such a New Gods rip-off.

I'm guessing Doctor Strange gets a sequel soon. Black Panther probably gets his soon too. I'd let Captain Marvel cook a little bit more.

Honestly - I'd probably love it if they go deeper into the Cosmic Marvel shit. There's a lot of good there. Follow-up on the Kree-Skrull War more. Since they have Fox, why not set up Galactus? Shi'ar (although that might fit better with the X-Men) can not suck when done right.

Edit: All this is just my wish fulfillment though. I expect them to play it pretty safe.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
The Mandarin has always been a ****ty villain though. Iron Man's individual villains have always been sub-par.

It's far from perfect, but I respect that it a) tried to do something different, and b) there are a lot of really good moments in the movie.

Fair, but I think its because up until the twist reveal, the movie Mandarin was an awesome interpretation.

Making him a terrorist was perfect

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
I feel they are gonna let the X-men rest for a while;

They need to reboot it and give people time to move on from hugh jackman as wolverine.

As well find someone that can accurately carry the jean grey presences on screen

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Granted I don’t know SFA about Iron Man comics lore, but The Mandarin always seemed like a super lame, super dated character so I loved how they interpreted that on screen.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
I know Kevin Fiege has a 5-year plan that will be revealed after Endgame is out. I’m guessing we don’t get X-Men during that time period, but they may start laying the groundwork for it towards the end of it. Maybe even an end credit scene hinting towards some of it.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I know Kevin Fiege has a 5-year plan that will be revealed after Endgame is out. I’m guessing we don’t get X-Men during that time period, but they may start laying the groundwork for it towards the end of it. Maybe even an end credit scene hinting towards some of it.

He said the plan doesn't include the X-Men. Maybe F4 is there?

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth

I could see that as well. My point with the X-Men is that I could see them introducing groundwork for that, while not totally exploring them until the next 5 years. Similar to what they’re doing with Adam Warlock (unless he makes some crazy appearance in Endgame).

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
F4 would fit in easier than X-Men IMO. If you bring in X-Men, you have to explain why everyone was ignoring the existence of mutants for 20 movies. F4 doesn't have nearly as many ripples.

Or they could just do something to set up the Secret Wars 2015 (probably need the Fantastic 4 to that) to reboot the universe with the X-Men, but that's such a "comic book" plot I don't know if you can make that make sense to movie goers.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
F4 would fit in easier than X-Men IMO. If you bring in X-Men, you have to explain why everyone was ignoring the existence of mutants for 20 movies. F4 doesn't have nearly as many ripples.

Or they could just do something to set up the Secret Wars 2015 (probably need the Fantastic 4 to that) to reboot the universe with the X-Men, but that's such a "comic book" plot I don't know if you can make that make sense to movie goers.

meh, easy enough there.

"hey look, so when we went into the quantum realm to fight Thanos we discovered other universes...guess what 1 had?"

or just write in the Scarlet Witch "No More Mutants" storyline from the comics

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
meh, easy enough there.

"hey look, so when we went into the quantum realm to fight Thanos we discovered other universes...guess what 1 had?"

or just write in the Scarlet Witch "No More Mutants" storyline from the comics
That seems like a serious extension of her powers as they've been portrayed in the comics.

I mean, it's movies so you can hand wave what you want. They lived in hiding, etc. It just feels like putting the X-Men in is a big lift, and the X-Men mythos are already so convoluted they may be best off as an alternate universe. F4 is much narrower, but their villains f***ing rule and are capable of being universe-level threats, so I would prefer them.

Dr. Doom, Annihilus, Galactus, Kane the Conqueror... just so good. After Magneto and Apocalypse, you either have to get weird with the Phoenix Force (plus side you can draw in the Shi'ar, downside you *really* have to commit to build that up), or you have lame-os like Mr. Sinister.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
That seems like a serious extension of her powers as they've been portrayed in the comics.

I mean, it's movies so you can hand wave what you want. They lived in hiding, etc. It just feels like putting the X-Men in is a big lift, and the X-Men mythos are already so convoluted they may be best off as an alternate universe. F4 is much narrower, but their villains ****ing rule and are capable of being universe-level threats, so I would prefer them.

Dr. Doom, Annihilus, Galactus, Kane the Conqueror... just so good. After Magneto and Apocalypse, you either have to get weird with the Phoenix Force (plus side you can draw in the Shi'ar, downside you *really* have to commit to build that up), or you have lame-os like Mr. Sinister.

is it really that big of an extension though?

She did just hold back Thanos with 5 stones while simultaneously destroying the mind stone.

really though there is no smooth way to bring in the Fox Marvel properties.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Honestly - I'd probably love it if they go deeper into the Cosmic Marvel ****. There's a lot of good there. Follow-up on the Kree-Skrull War more. Since they have Fox, why not set up Galactus? Shi'ar (although that might fit better with the X-Men) can not suck when done right.

Edit: All this is just my wish fulfillment though. I expect them to play it pretty safe.

I know Mrs_NyQuil has very little interest in the less grounded stories.

It'd be interesting to see if they break away entirely from the "realism" of the initial films.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
I know Mrs_NyQuil has very little interest in the less grounded stories.

It'd be interesting to see if they break away entirely from the "realism" of the initial films.
We do have GotG and Captain Marvel. I know Silver Surfer fits more organically with the Fantastic 4 in the comics, but you don't even *need* to go that route if you want to just add him to the existing MCU. It doesn't have to be the entire focus. Major crossovers tend to mix cosmic and earth-bound events. Introducing Galactus and then having him come to Earth is perfectly on brand (Shi'ar and Kree/Skrull is probably harder to include Earth organically though).

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
is it really that big of an extension though?

She did just hold back Thanos with 5 stones while simultaneously destroying the mind stone.

really though there is no smooth way to bring in the Fox Marvel properties.

It may seem sacrilegious but I wonder if you couldn't get away with just retconning the whole thing: have the mutant gene awakening thing and all the problems it brings start now. The Xavier/Magneto/Wolverine characters makes this difficult because their backstories are dependent on the past, but for the rest of the crew like Cyclops/Phoenix/Storm/etc it wouldn't be that hard to do. So 'class 1' or whatever you might call it just starts in 2020 instead of 1970.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
It may seem sacrilegious but I wonder if you couldn't get away with just retconning the whole thing: have the mutant gene awakening thing and all the problems it brings start now. The Xavier/Magneto/Wolverine characters makes this difficult because their backstories are dependent on the past, but for the rest of the crew like Cyclops/Phoenix/Storm/etc it wouldn't be that hard to do. So 'class 1' or whatever you might call it just starts in 2020 instead of 1970.

I think they could definitely do that if they wanted to. I think Magneto is the only one that would be really awkward since his past (and personality) is so tied up with the Holocaust. But I’m sure they could figure something out.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa

Not only those three but a number of other mutants, though not as well known maybe, that are very old and having the mutant gene suddenly pop-up makes that hard to do.

Mystique is born in the early 20th century and so it Destiny. Jonas Graymalking was born in the early 19th century. The comic version of Azazel, not the one for First Class, is born prior to the 19th century. Exodus was a crusader from the 12th century. Apocalypse is from about 3000 BC but he is not the oldest that goes to Selene Gallio who is the first mutant born 17 millennia ago during the Hyborian Age of Conan fame.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Not only those three but a number of other mutants, though not as well known maybe, that are very old and having the mutant gene suddenly pop-up makes that hard to do.

Mystique is born in the early 20th century and so it Destiny. Jonas Graymalking was born in the early 19th century. The comic version of Azazel, not the one for First Class, is born prior to the 19th century. Exodus was a crusader from the 12th century. Apocalypse is from about 3000 BC but he is not the oldest that goes to Selene Gallio who is the first mutant born 17 millennia ago during the Hyborian Age of Conan fame.

I suppose a way you can explain their absence is Charles Xavier himself.

Using Cerebro he either hid or "powered down" all mutants to protect them from persecution and it took something as significant as Thanos/The Snap for him to realize his error and that mutants are needed

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I suppose a way you can explain their absence is Charles Xavier himself.

Using Cerebro he either hid or "powered down" all mutants to protect them from persecution and it took something as significant as Thanos/The Snap for him to realize his error and that mutants are needed

It's hard to believe that SHIELD wouldn't catch wind of this but whatever.

I guess Xavier could make everyone forget that mutants exist.

It's going to be awkward no matter how they do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->