Marty Schottenheimer moved to hospice care

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Over the last few years, I've started to watch as many NFL Films season team recaps as possible, the 23 minute long episodes. (I even have a spreadsheet.....I need better hobbies)

Just went through the KC Chiefs seasons right when Schott was hired after Frank Gansz.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
Over the last few years, I've started to watch as many NFL Films season team recaps as possible, the 23 minute long episodes. (I even have a spreadsheet.....I need better hobbies)

Just went through the KC Chiefs seasons right when Schott was hired after Frank Gansz.
Do you watch them on YouTube? Seems like every year around the Super Bowl I do something similar. I've been watching America's Game (Super Bowl) winners from each year and their season narrated by coaches/players. Though I also watched a bit on the late 80s/early 90s Bills.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Do you watch them on YouTube? Seems like every year around the Super Bowl I do something similar. I've been watching America's Game (Super Bowl) winners from each year and their season narrated by coaches/players. Though I also watched a bit on the late 80s/early 90s Bills.

this guy has thousands of NFL films episodes, also tons of SEC stuff that i dont watch.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCi-cxJourXlROlS8P6eG5kw/videos

But in the search bar, just type "Detroit Lions 1990" or whatever and if there is an NFL films available on YT, it will popup.

...here is the 1988 Chiefs episode, Schott's first year

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
I started with the 1958 season and there are 2 clear times where the game changed drastically, at least through 1989

1)The late 60's/early 70's when they started to scout and draft from HBCU's. The injection of talent at the skill positions was something so huge it was easy to see.

2)The mid 80's when teams started copying Bill Walsh's offense and teams went from 20 passes a game to 30 while, at the same time, drastically reducing interceptions. There would be season recaps where you would hear things like, "Quarterback X was only intercepted 15 times in 10 starts", and that was a compliment. The passing game went from 20-40 yards downfield to 5-20 yards, primarily.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
I think the earliest have watched was the first superbowl year.

In terms of Bill Walsh, I'm really fascinated by him and his approach. To me he is the most influential person in nfl history. Apparently the west coast offense was a term Parcells used after the Giants beat the Niners. The interesting thing about the Niners is they get labeled as finesse, but they were nothing of that sort. The 1988 NFC championship they went into soldier field with a windchill in the negative 20s and took apart a good Bears team. A soft team does not do that.Their defenses are highly underrated during their run.

In regards to Marty, he was unlucky not to have reached a Super Bowl. He was the head coach for some of the most brutal playoff losses in the history of the NFL.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
I think the earliest have watched was the first superbowl year.

In terms of Bill Walsh, I'm really fascinated by him and his approach. To me he is the most influential person in nfl history. Apparently the west coast offense was a term Parcells used after the Giants beat the Niners. The interesting thing about the Niners is they get labeled as finesse, but they were nothing of that sort. The 1988 NFC championship they went into soldier field with a windchill in the negative 20s and took apart a good Bears team. A soft team does not do that.Their defenses are highly underrated during their run.

In regards to Marty, he was unlucky not to have reached a Super Bowl. He was the head coach for some of the most brutal playoff losses in the history of the NFL.

Marty has just had bad luck. Over 200 regular season wins and yet...5-13 playoff record.

Bless Marty Schottenheimer, good man with a great heart.

Babe Ruth

Don't leave me hangin' on the telephone..
Feb 2, 2016
The mid 80's when teams started copying Bill Walsh's offense and teams went from 20 passes a game to 30..The passing game went from 20-40 yards downfield to 5-20 yards, primarily.

Good point.. and at the time the Redskins were the philosophic opposite of the Niners. Gibbs was run heavy, and the 2 franchises were the most dominant teams of the decade. It was cool for variety, and proponents of each playing style.
You're also right about how revolutionary & popular Walsh's ball control passing became. I'd add that Coryell (w/the Cards & Chargers) was loosening up defenses a few years before Walsh. Just hadn't considered short range passes as much..

Sorry to hear about Marty, I'm a fan. I remember his (later years) UFL coaching job well..

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
Good point.. and at the time the Redskins were the philosophic opposite of the Niners. Gibbs was run heavy, and the 2 franchises were the most dominant teams of the decade. It was cool for variety, and proponents of each playing style.
You're also right about how revolutionary & popular Walsh's ball control passing became. I'd add that Coryell (w/the Cards & Chargers) was loosening up defenses a few years before Walsh. Just hadn't considered short range passes as much..

Sorry to hear about Marty, I'm a fan. I remember his (later years) UFL coaching job well..
The thing is that both Walsh and Gibbs came from the same originating source.
Walsh had to develop an offense based on the (lack of) talent he had, and that talent was much more in the short passing game when he started in San Francisco. Otherwise, he'd probably have just been another deep ball, Air Coryell guy. The language of the WCO also differs from the Air Coryell. But they had the same grandaddy in Sid Gillman.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Walsh actually started that offense in Cincinnati in the early 70's. He dinked and dunked there as well. (not as much when he had Montana) Bengals QB's were always near the top of the league in completion % when he was there.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
The WCO was really the outcome of the ‘77 rule changes.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Perfect. I can't get enough history of the NFL this time of the year.

John Facenda died in 1984, and his voice is still the best for the NFL Films voiceovers. Nobody close.

Jeff Kaye was great when he did it through the 90's, so was Harry Kalas.

They tried Chris Berman for a few teams and he was just horrendous.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
RIP Marty.
John Facenda died in 1984, and his voice is still the best for the NFL Films voiceovers. Nobody close.

Jeff Kaye was great when he did it through the 90's, so was Harry Kalas.

They tried Chris Berman for a few teams and he was just horrendous.
Yeah, Harry is in alot of the videos I watched. Grew up listening to him watching the Phillies, great voice. I like Facenda better though with his narration. Some funny phrases

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad