Marty named special ambassador for Frozen Four in Tampa

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Time to begin the healing process between him and the organization. He's one of the greatest players in franchise history, and should be recognized as such. I hope there's a jersey retirement on the horizon.

I'm over it, winning the ECF last year was satisfying enough.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
I thought they would have done something with Boyle and Carle, who are B.C. and Denver Alumni, and went with their teams to the Frozen Four & National Championship game. Denver plays North Dakota in 1 bracket, and B.C. plays Quinnipiac in the other.

Any time you can get Marty down to do something is good too though.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Time to begin the healing process between him and the organization. He's one of the greatest players in franchise history, and should be recognized as such. I hope there's a jersey retirement on the horizon.

Agreed. Time to move on. We denied him a Cup so it's all good now, IMO. ;)

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl

From what I've heard over yzermans dead body before Marty hits the rafters

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
i have no bad thoughts on this anytime a hall of fame player comes here to sponsor hockey in any way is a good thing

also ya surprising on the two guys maybe not doing much but maybe more focused on playoffs of our own than doing much for their universities i hope they at least talk to the kids before games in locker room if possible

marty will take a long time for forgiveness totally from stevie but this might start a little of it for the good of tampa amalie and vinik etc..

Selyanin

#StammerTime
May 2, 2014
The North
From what I've heard over yzermans dead body before Marty hits the rafters

I don't think Yzerman is a kind of guy who denies honoring people just because they had disagreements with him. Especially considering everything Marty has done for this organisation.

Hockeyfan02

Oct 10, 2002
Pistivity
Visit site
also ya surprising on the two guys maybe not doing much but maybe more focused on playoffs of our own than doing much for their universities i hope they at least talk to the kids before games in locker room if possible .

The team will be on the road while they're here so that's probably why they're not ambassadors or anything like that, maybe they can tape or skype something for their schools.

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
Maybe MSL and VL4 can help improve the powerplay. I remember both of those LIGHTNING All Time Greats being pretty effective and producing on the PP.:laugh: PP coach? PP advisor Adam Oates style at the least.

AlphaCatalyst

Elite Fan
Jun 27, 2007
Calgary
That's cool of him to do that.
As others have said the bad feeling are pretty much gone now

In regards to a jersey retirement I don't really think SFYs role as GM has enough pull to stop it if that is what Vinik and other higher ups want.
Personally I have no problem with it if it happens but I do think Vinny should and will be first.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
I don't think Yzerman is a kind of guy who denies honoring people just because they had disagreements with him. Especially considering everything Marty has done for this organisation.

I bet if there's still animosity it's Marty's towards Yzerman than vice versa, anyway.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
I bet if there's still animosity it's Marty's towards Yzerman than vice versa, anyway.

yzerman is known to hold grudges I think our success will go a good distance.

marty not continuing to stab at the heart with his message about tampa hockey compared to east new york original six hockey.

Marty having maybe legit reasons to want to leave and not harping on how tampa is not the center of the hockey universe(to yzerman it is since he is here:)

etc.. those types of things allow in time for yzerman to come around

yet yzerman takes the captain thing to heart and takes the walking timing of marty leaving to heart as a major issue that will not be looked at forgiven right off the bat.

But marty coming as an ambassorder to support the team franchise etc.. IS A HUGE STEP to a person like steve yzerman in regaining and forgiveness to the past situation

So things like this that marty is doing or will do will ultimately get marty in the rafters. Steve has an ego and a ton of pride he will let people make mistakes the good news on that is drouin or make what he considers to be mistakes.

But to stevie hockey here the team the organization etc.. is life and death so the stabbing to the heart that marty displayed will make things happen slowly the acceptance overall.

I do think vinik will accept lightning have a history and that history needs to be honored so yes in time marty will get in the rafters etc.. i do believe others will still get there first but know stevie has changed his views a lot just based on lightning success since the marty demand to a trade.

FinnLightning26

Death and no taxes
Sep 16, 2007
Lapland
I don't see why SFY would want to block Marty from getting a jersey retirement if Vinik and co. want him there. I hope Vinny gets his jersey up next year or in two years and Marty's goes up there after him. Those two are the greatest players to ever play for our team.

tjs*

Mar 18, 2016
Can anyone name another time in major sports history when a team's captain and all-time greatest player whined his way out of town in the middle of a playoff run? Anyone at all?

I'm sorry: I know a lot of you are MSL fans, and I was too, but some things simply can't be gotten past and forgotten about like they never happened. We're not just talking about an acrimonious split where things were said in the heat of anger; we're talking about our best player walking out on us in the middle of a playoff run. If they want to bring him back as part of a group celebration of the Stanley Cup team that's one thing, but I have no desire to ever see him honored as an individual by the Lightning.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
I will always remember what St. Louis did for this organization, but I'll never forget how he left. If it were my choice then I would just cut ties with him and wash my hands of the entire debacle. No jersey raising, no ceremonies, no posters,and no jobs with the team. But if that's what Vinik decides to do...whatever.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I took Marty's side on the issue. Apparently the Olympic committee headed by Yzerman has the authority to: leave you off the team in 2010. Has enough power to make sure Crosby's undeserving teammate (as opposed to someone else like Giroux who would've been an excellent option) has his own spot. It has enough authority to make sure Yzerman's old buddy Babcock is taking the reigns. And it is capable of making sure that Stamkos had a spot with his name on it until x-rays came back. This is AFTER Marty St. Louis wins the scoring title and AFTER he is named team captain of Yzerman's team.

I know it's a team sport. I know that the committee has to agree. And that's probably what Yzerman told him. "Sorry we're waiting on Stamkos' broken leg" or it was "The committee doesn't agree". Yzerman probably turned off the phone or said, "Deal with it bro"

Jesus Christ on a cross. After ALL he gave the Lightning and EVERYTHING he did for us.... you guys know how much that was because you saw it like I did. That's just a cold slap if it's true. I DON'T know what happened. I DON'T know the whole story. I'll NEVER know the whole story. But if Marty left town like that it's probably because Yzerman wouldn't even go to bat for him. Wouldn't even do him the favor because his boy Babcock didn't like him. I cannot imagine ANYTHING more disrespectful. You mean to tell me Marty's only chance at Olympic glory was 2006?

If something happened that made Marty pack his **** like that I'm gonna give him the benefit of the doubt. The only man to wear a Lightning sweater with more pride was Vinny Lecavalier and Phil Esposito himself.

Of course it's a selfish request. EVERYONE wants to play for the Olympics. But when I cannot think of a single valid argument that Marty St. Louis deserved to be left off the roster like that (and believe me... I tried SO hard to think of why he should've been left off) I take Marty's side on it. That's all this boils down to. I trust something happened behind closed doors that so deeply hurt Marty that he put himself before his team and asked for out. SOMETHING that we don't know happened. I'll trust my captain because I'm a selfish human being too. We all are to some degree.

I think everyone here has busted their ***** before and been shown little to no thanks for it. We usually had a nice little response to it that we kept to ourselves but none of it was pleasant. Without knowing all the details, Marty asked to be let out for one reason or another. He did what so few of us do. He spoke his mind and banished himself.

I got over the Marty trade by the time April rolled around. He was my all time favorite and I will always thank him for what he gave us regardless of how his tenure ended.

Last edited:

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ

http://www.tbo.com/sports/lightning...is-returns-to-tampa-for-frozen-four-20160407/
“This the first time I’m back here on a non-business trip and it really feels like I’m back in my hometown,’’ said St. Louis, who managed to squeeze in two rounds of golf at Palma Ceia since arriving in Tampa on Wednesday. “I grew up here. My kids were born here. For me on a professional level, this is where I grew up. This really feels like home.

“I know I don’t live here, but this is always a special place for me. Regardless that I didn’t finish my career here, it doesn’t take away from how I feel about this place. I really hope the fans can feel the same way.’’
St. Louis said he was blessed to play with outstanding centers in Tampa — Vincent Lecavalier, Brad Richards and Steven Stamkos. He follows the Lightning avidly on television and remains close to several of his former teammates.

“I’m very happy for Vinny,’’ he said, noting Lecavalier has flourished in Los Angeles after sitting on Philadelphia’s bench for much of the season. “He goes to L.A., scores 10 goals and has a role. He just wasn’t playing and it’s hard to see a guy who has done a lot in this league go out like that.’’

Stamkos had surgery on Monday to alleviate a blood clot near his collarbone. Although he is expected to make a full recovery, Stamkos won’t be available when the Lightning open the postseason next week.

“It’s a tough time,’’ St. Louis said of Stamkos, who could be an unrestricted free agent this summer. “Sometimes life throws you stuff ... it’s just life. You never know what the next day brings. A situation like that makes you appreciate the good days. From his broken leg to what he’s going through right now, I feel terrible for Steven. But if anyone can handle it, I know he can.

“I keep him in my thoughts all the time. He’s the face of the franchise in a contract year — and that is going to be talked about. He was playing great and Steven is at a place in his career where he has to make a decision. Right now, I don’t think anyone close to Stammer is worried about where he’s going to be next year."
“I came into the league my own way,’’ he said. “I scratched, I clawed, I found a way to stick and I went out on my own terms. I’m proud of the way I was able to be a top player in this league and stay a top player. It’s hard to do. For me to get 1,000 games ... I was trying to get one game in this league.

“You get to 1,000, it’s special. Tampa is where I grew up, it’s where I had my career. I’ll always remember being a Tampa Bay Lightning. I finished my career in New York, but I was a Lightning.’’

ArmaHedman

Nov 30, 2006
Sarasota, FL
One other thing that was not widely reported or really taken into account:

The last year Marty was here, the year he left, he was living here by himself. His wife had already moved back to CT with the kids. So one would really assume she was the real reason he demanded a trade etc. He could not really say that publicly or I can only imagine the wrath he would have received at home when he got there. Or maybe he would not have been welcomed home at all. I remember reading it once almost as a side note to a story. To me it was way more than a side note, it was the real driving force around his actions.

I am not ready to forgive him yet, but things like this. And his statements in the paper definitely start the process.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad