Martin Vagner is Brutal!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Histrion

Feb 13, 2003
La-La-Laprise said:
Has anyone watched the Mem cup?

I hope now people who like him so much realize how bad he actually is.

Dallas shouldnt even think of signing him.

I only noticed him one time, on a very, very bad giveaway that led to a goal for the Tigers. I wasn't watching the game all the time, but from the little I've seen of him, he seems to be prone to brain cramps.

ChemiseBleuHonnete

Oct 28, 2002
lol, I was working out at the gym during the game, I didn't saw it. Is he really that bad? I thought that his strenght was supposed to be his defensive game. And if he suck defensively, it's not good for him! :lol

MikeC

Feb 28, 2002
L'Assomption
That guy has not heart, he does not want to win. Dallas should not sign this guy. I will not make it for sure

leafaholix*

He is absolutely horrendous.

And to think, I was wanting the Leafs to take him at 24 in 2002.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Leafaholix said:
He is absolutely horrendous.

And to think, I was wanting the Leafs to take him at 24 in 2002.

LOL just a classic case of Overhyped.

He was hyped up at 17 and everyone who watched him in the Q was shaking their heads thinking what scouts saw in him.

Dallas will surely take the comp pick.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
La-La-Laprise said:
LOL just a classic case of Overhyped.
He was hyped up at 17 and everyone who watched him in the Q was shaking their heads thinking what scouts saw in him.
Dallas will surely take the comp pick.

I saw him a few times in his draft year, and couldn't believe the hype either. Unfortunately, I came away somehow very high on Jesse Lane instead. Whups. :dunno:

It reminded me a bit of watching Mario Larocque in his draft year too. Couldn't figure that one a bit either, then started loving the less-heralded Colin White instead. Woohoo, I'm not *always* wrong!!!! :D

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Jesse Lane is a good player. If he had any heart and if he wasnt a spoiled brat.

He moved down a level this year to the USHL from the CHL because Carolina wouldnt sign him a year early LOL

Rutherford was like, youll sit you smart ass brat LOL

Mizral

Sep 20, 2002
Earth, MW
Visit site
Hate to rub it in some peoples' faces, but I called it didn't I? (for those that remember back then at least)

Never liked Vagner, and today's performance is one of the reasons why. The guy always was brutally overrated. He shouldn't ever even get a sniff of the NHL.

leafaholix*

markov` said:
He's good because of O'Brien. I think he has less chance to become a player than O'Brien...
From what I've seen, O'Brien's below average defensively as well.

I'm not sure how that helps.

:dunno:

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Mizral said:
Hate to rub it in some peoples' faces, but I called it didn't I? (for those that remember back then at least)

Never liked Vagner, and today's performance is one of the reasons why. The guy always was brutally overrated. He shouldn't ever even get a sniff of the NHL.

Same man. :)

I was happy he went to Dallas because they are my least favourite NHL team lol

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Leafaholix said:
From what I've seen, O'Brien's below average defensively as well.

I'm not sure how that helps.

:dunno:

he isnt the best in his own zone but he can be tought. He has more smarts than Vagner and he is more offensive and gifted with the puck.

Plus O'Brien has the size. He needs more time in the minors and maybe QMJHL at 20 but if i had to choose id take O'Brien.

If the leafs dont sign D'Amour something is wrong lol

Stada

May 24, 2004
Too bad martin vagner is that much brutal.. thats probably why Benoit Groulx (the coach) is putting him on his top defense line... Vagner is defense NOT OFFENSE he can't play offense with a guy like O'brien on the line ( who by the way is "puck hungry" ) it cost us a lot of errors .... If Vagner would have became offensive while he would be on the same line as O'Brien their would not even be defense in front of the goalie.... By the Way im a big fan of the olympiques andi've been watching every single game for a long time... Vagner as helped us a lot ...Maybe wasnt shining like his first year but he is an EXCELLENT defense man and you guys are really underestimating him... BIG TIME.... The journalist even said if i can remember that Vagner and Talbot were 2 guys who puts their heart out and would do anything to keep a puck from going to the goal even if that means getting HURT... which explains why Vagner had injuries this year.....cuz his supposely very good obrien wasnt there to help him and do HIS JOB.......(I even read it on this forum not too long ago).Vagner did made some mistakes... But heyyyy... who doesnt ??? you learn from those mistakes and you get better by learning from it... And thats exactly what he did in the memorial cup ... Then can you explain why there was 2 goals made against the olympiques(yesterday) and vagner was not on the line.. ARE YOU GONNA BLAME HIM BECAUSE HE WAS ON THE BENCH NOW???........... :shakehead

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Stada said:
Too bad martin vagner is that much brutal.. thats probably why Benoit Groulx (the coach) is putting him on his top defense line... Vagner is defense NOT OFFENSE he can't play offense with a guy like O'brien on the line ( who by the way is "puck hungry" ) it cost us a lot of errors .... If Vagner would have became offensive while he would be on the same line as O'Brien their would not even be defense in front of the goalie.... By the Way im a big fan of the olympiques andi've been watching every single game for a long time... Vagner as helped us a lot ...Maybe wasnt shining like his first year but he is an EXCELLENT defense man and you guys are really underestimating him... BIG TIME.... The journalist even said if i can remember that Vagner and Talbot were 2 guys who puts their heart out and would do anything to keep a puck from going to the goal even if that means getting HURT... which explains why Vagner had injuries this year.....cuz his supposely very good obrien wasnt there to help him and do HIS JOB.......(I even read it on this forum not too long ago).Vagner did made some mistakes... But heyyyy... who doesnt ??? you learn from those mistakes and you get better by learning from it... And thats exactly what he did in the memorial cup ... Then can you explain why there was 2 goals made against the olympiques(yesterday) and vagner was not on the line.. ARE YOU GONNA BLAME HIM BECAUSE HE WAS ON THE BENCH NOW???........... :shakehead

Try watching the game and try being a bit unbias. And dont judge players by whats written in the newspapers.

Vagner is brutal defensivly, i wasnt talking about his offensive game.

It looked like he wasnt even trying out there and i am not the first person to question his heart.

leafaholix*

La-La-Laprise said:
If the leafs dont sign D'Amour something is wrong lol
Yeah, I know.

But I'm expecting it to happen... hopefully.

Because he was easily Gatineau's best defensive defenseman in the tournament.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Leafaholix said:
Yeah, I know.

But I'm expecting it to happen... hopefully.

Because he was easily Gatineau's best defensive defenseman in the tournament.

Yup and he showed some offensive flare.

With the lack of prospect depth im praying they sign him. Or at least tender him a semi decent offer.

That could help bolster our defensive depth with players under 23

Brandon Bell, Carlo Colaiacovo, Jay Harrisson, Pierre Hedin and Dominic D'Amour.

Not bad.

Stada

May 24, 2004
Too Bad La-La-Laprise....
I've been watching the olympiques for a long long time and im there at each and every game.... WERE YOU ?????? if not you can't judge his defense play by just what you saw...And i know that he has HEART.. and im not the only one either to think that........ That guy just to remind you as come all the way from czech republic to do one thing play hockey ... He participated at 2 memorial cup wich went to the finals both times... He helped the team a lot..... But of course ... your just there to criticize him and not see what he brings to the team.. if you would be there each and every game your opinion would change on him so does everybody... And about the journalist ..yes they said that but not only him... THE COACH SAID IT.... so scuse me if im wrong .. but your totally lost.... :amazed:

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Stada said:
Too Bad La-La-Laprise....
I've been watching the olympiques for a long long time and im there at each and every game.... WERE YOU ?????? if not you can't judge his defense play by just what you saw...And i know that he has HEART.. and im not the only one either to think that........ That guy just to remind you as come all the way from czech republic to do one thing play hockey ... He participated at 2 memorial cup wich went to the finals both times... He helped the team a lot..... But of course ... your just there to criticize him and not see what he brings to the team.. if you would be there each and every game your opinion would change on him so does everybody... And about the journalist ..yes they said that but not only him... THE COACH SAID IT.... so scuse me if im wrong .. but your totally lost.... :amazed:

By you stating you are an olympiques fan that autpmatically makes you Bias.

Did you see what Guy Carbonneau was saying? He said Vagner has gone backwards. And he works for Dallas, the team that drafted him. It is not only MY opinion that Vagner sucks but other more important people agree with me.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
La-La-Laprise said:
By you stating you are an olympiques fan that autpmatically makes you Bias.

Did you see what Guy Carbonneau was saying? He said Vagner has gone backwards. And he works for Dallas, the team that drafted him. It is not only MY opinion that Vagner sucks but other more important people agree with me.

Maybe the problem with Vagner is that we're holding him up to the standards of a 1st round NHL pick. By other standards, he seems to be a decentish sort of junior defenseman, who, as long as he's not as far off his game as he was against Medicine Hat, might garner enough attention to be drafted, because he has pretty solid fundamentals and is reputedly fairly bright and dedicated, and a team might figure they can teach him something. He was not an overall detriment to his team in his junior career, but you know, we could say that about a guy like Sam Roberts too, who was just fine for Gatineau, but isn't thought of as an NHL prospect.

And his play has certainly levelled at the least, from his draft year. Despite the injury this year, it's doubtful he would have surpassed his 34 pt rookie year. But it was better than last year at least. If you argue that points don't matter, he's a stay-at-home guy, fair enough, but he hasn't seemed to improve in that respect much either to me. And he wasn't drafted with the thought that he'd be a purely stay-at-home guy, I think. He was pretty heavily hyped in his draft year (wasn't he top-10 amongst NA skaters by CSB?) and some mock drafts were putting him in the mid-teens as a pick. He was on the Czech national teams from an early age, and was on people's radar for a long time. NHL team scouts must have been getting an inkling that maybe he wasn't quite all he was cracked up to be, because he did fall quite a lot lower than his rankings indicated, in what was not a stupendous 2002 draft.

Sometimes it just happens. A guy hits his peak as a prospect at 17, and never gets any better. That seems to be Vagner. The Stars can be happy with the compensatory system the NHL has in place, because here they're maybe getting a bit of an unintended advantage, as it was supposed to help protect against 1st round players asking for too much money, not to protect against making bad draft choices.

Stada

May 24, 2004
La-La-Laprise

If you remember CORRECTLY the article in which Carbonneau made comments was saying that the "ball" was in the agent and player's hand at the end "it all depended what they will be asking for $". Also, because you seem to be living in the area, you will also remember an article (3-4 weeks ago) that stated vagner has the defenceman in the olympiques team with the best differencial something like +33 in 38 games ...Cant remember exactly the + but its close enough....Now bring him down again.......what can i say. I ,myself ,was a defenceman i know what im talking about .........

evman150*

Vagner was one of the players I was looking to forward to seeing during the Memorial Cup. And I have to agree with the original poster, he was BRUTAL.

Defensively he was just hopeless.

Got to be disappointing for Stars fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad