Martin St. Louis vs. Patrik Elias

kmad

riot survivor
Jun 16, 2003
Vancouver
Looking at this from a career perspective, which player would you rank higher as of today?

Martin St. Louis
martin-st.-louis.jpg

Patrik Elias
t1_elias_si.jpg

Infinite Vision*

St. Louis. His 2004 year definitely gives the edge to him IMO.

Ogopogo*

St. Louis.

Being the best player in the NHL once beats being in the top 25 several times.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
St. Louis.

Being the best player in the NHL once beats being in the top 25 several times.

Elias was never the best player in the league, but he was top 5 one year and probably top 10 a few more years. He also has a massive playoff edge of St. Louis (granted, it's largely due to having more opportunities than anything, ut still, he made the most of those opportunities).

That said, St. Louis was the better player.

NOTENOUGHJTCGOALS

Feb 28, 2006
Elias was never the best player in the league, but he was top 5 one year and probably top 10 a few more years. He also has a massive playoff edge of St. Louis (granted, it's largely due to having more opportunities than anything, ut still, he made the most of those opportunities).

That said, St. Louis was the better player.

I read somewhere Elias has the most playoff points this decade. Granted someone may have passed him by this point but it shows Elias was a big part of teams that went deep.

begbeee

Oct 16, 2009
Slovakia
St. Luis is more skilled and talented.
Elias has the great endurance and he is "money"..

Close.

Take out Marty´s huge Hart season and it is easy win for Elias.
Take out Patrik´s best season and that would not hurt him so much...

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
St. Luis is more skilled and talented.
Elias has the great endurance and he is "money"..

Close.

Take out Marty´s huge Hart season and it is easy win for Elias.
Take out Patrik´s best season and that would not hurt him so much...

This is how I see it. I guess I'll consider Marty to be the better player (mostly on the strength of that one season, though), but even with the power of hindsight I still would have taken Elias over him at any point during their careers so far (except MAYBE starting after they entered their 30s).

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Very good comparison. It is close. I guess I can give the edge to St. Louis though. Elias looks to be slowing down a bit now. He has an insane edge in playoff resume but other than that there isn't a lot else he has over St. Louis. Right now Marty is the better player and is not slowing down yet. You'd have to think he'll be higher revered after their careers are over

jkrx

Feb 4, 2010
MSL has that season. Elias has a good career in the dead puck era and very solid playoff numbers. I take Elias, for now.

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
Marty, higher peak overall, by quite a bit actually, and still riding his peak while Elias is fading a bit, a very good player to be sure but never considered the star that Marty is.

Martys peak seasons are 117,111,107,96,88 and 84 points 191th all time adjusted
Elias peak seasons are 111,101,86,84,75 and 74 points for 129th overall.

an interesting note is that Marty has a better PPG clip than Elias in the playoffs, here are their lines

45-23-25-48 with 7 GWG for Marty and
138-40-77-117 with 6 GWG for Elias

Not sure I would give the edge here to Elias as only his counting stats are better and probably has more to do with the team he plays for than anything else.

It will be interesting to see how the HHOF considers them as they wind down their careers but IMO Marty is quite a bit better and ahs had a better career due to his peak years.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad