Player Discussion Martin Pospisil: 2018 4th round, 105th overall

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I dunno if he can skate well enough to ever make an impact in the show as I only really saw him play at dev camp (but noticed him positively) but I have a good feeling about this kid and a suspension doesn't change that. IIRC Lomberg was brought in the org being a bit of a firecracker himself in American Junior and I think Pospisil seemed profoundly more skilled and looked huge in camp.
Lomberg got into an altercation with another student on campus at the Unniversity of Maine and was suspended for a year because of it. He chose to withdraw from Maine and rejoin the USHL and commit to a different University when his suspension was up. But, the Flames signed him before he could return to the NCAA.

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
It’s only a 60 game season. 20% of the year seems like quite a bit to me

crackdown44

Dec 1, 2017
He got into with a fan, whether provoked or not, is completely unacceptable. Frankly, I think he should be suspended for a year.

Agree to disagree I guess. I’ve been spat on getting off the ice in juniors and would have loved to break my stick over someone’s head. This wasn’t really a serious altercation, no one got hurt and it was 100% provoked by the fan based on the information we have

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
He got into with a fan, whether provoked or not, is completely unacceptable. Frankly, I think he should be suspended for a year.

I dunno about the full year given the circumstances. Was it acceptable? No. But I think 12 games sends the necessary message. A young man got garbage thrown at him. He reacting was understandable, even if the extent of the reaction was not.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I dunno about the full year given the circumstances. Was it acceptable? No. But I think 12 games sends the necessary message. A young man got garbage thrown at him. He reacting was understandable, even if the extent of the reaction was not.
He's an adult that attacked another person for throwing garbage at him. He's lucky he's not being charged by the fan. I'm not excusing what that fan did, but he is responsible for his own actions and is an elite athlete attacking a (presumably) average joe.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
He's an adult that attacked another person for throwing garbage at him. He's lucky he's not being charged by the fan. I'm not excusing what that fan did, but he is responsible for his own actions and is an elite athlete attacking a (presumably) average joe.

I dunno. He threw what was thrown at him back at the fan, and then once again had it thrown at him and then tried to climb the glass and failed. Maybe there was more than the video showed, but if anything by that standard he was attacked first. If someone throws something at you in the street and you throw it back are you the one charged with something?

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
I dunno. He threw what was thrown at him back at the fan, and then once again had it thrown at him and then tried to climb the glass and failed. Maybe there was more than the video showed, but if anything by that standard he was attacked first. If someone throws something at you in the street and you throw it back are you the one charged with something?
It’s more like it happening at work. You’re representing the company, or in this case the team, if you retaliate, you’d very much so feel the repercussions.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Sound like a psycho ....he better has some skills to back that up or he wont see a second in the NHL

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
For context, remember the Tie Domi incident in Philadelphia. Domi had debris thrown on him, and he responded by squirting water. This led to a fan going through the plexiglass into the box, which led to a physical confrontation with Domi. Domi even punched him. Domi got fined $1000, no suspension.

You can't directly compare situations like this to things that can happen in public, because the league has set its own rules over and above the law. Posposil is not breaking the law by going after the fan in this scenario, he is breaking a blanket ban on confrontation with fans, which is a rule of the league. Domi "got away with it" because his version of attacking the fan was a grey area (is squirting water the same as throwing a punch or an object?). The stuff in the box was straight self-defence.

I disagree that the suspension needed to be any longer than this, though. You have to consider the human element to the incident. Players are not robots; especially not as teenagers. This length of suspension accomplishes the goal of suspensions; it will affect his decision-making going forward and make everyone safer.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Things have changed a lot. It wasn’t all that long ago that getting the odd thing chucked at you, in the lower levels, wasn’t all that uncommon. Especially if you were the type of player to get the old tap. Mind you, a stick swing at the glass in front of a fan wasn’t either. Completely losing it and trying to climb the glass would be fairly over the top, even back then.

Last edited:

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
And he was, he got a 12 game suspension!?!?
38BlfVp.png

crackdown44

Dec 1, 2017

Okay and you’re the one calling for a full year suspension for what looks like a teenager throwing something back that was thrown at him and then trying to reach over glass. No one got hurt, he wasn’t the instigator, 12 is more than enough.

He’s not an employee, he doesn’t get paid to play in the USHL

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Okay and you’re the one calling for a full year suspension for what looks like a teenager throwing something back that was thrown at him and then trying to reach over glass. No one got hurt, he wasn’t the instigator, 12 is more than enough.

He’s not an employee, he doesn’t get paid to play in the USHL
1) Yes, I think he deserved more, not for throwing something but trying to get into the crowd. That is unacceptable and should be punished much more harshly than a measly 12 f***ing games. Being the instigator is absolutely irrelevant, you need to have self control.
2) I never said a f***ing thing about him being an employee.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Just because you’re the only one that believes he deserved more that 12 games, doesn’t make you right. He’s a promising athlete who doesn’t get paid to play. Worse things happen in junior every year. I think the suspension was fair and he probably wouldn’t have even gotten that, had he not already had a league wide reputation. The kid needs to get his head on straight, to have any hope of the NHL. Hopefully this helps to straighten out.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Just because you’re the only one that believes he deserved more that 12 games, doesn’t make you right. He’s a promising athlete who doesn’t get paid to play. Worse things happen in junior every year. I think the suspension was fair and he probably wouldn’t have even gotten that, had he not already had a league wide reputation. The kid needs to get his head on straight, to have any hope of the NHL. Hopefully this helps to straighten out.
He speared someone, abused an official and got into an altercation with a fan. Frankly, the fact anyone thinks 12 games is enough is downright laughable.

crackdown44

Dec 1, 2017
He speared someone, abused an official and got into an altercation with a fan. Frankly, the fact anyone thinks 12 games is enough is downright laughable.

So everyone else’s opinion is laughable and yours is correct. Interesting take

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad