Confirmed with Link: Martin Necas Signs ELC

SaskCanesFan

Feb 27, 2015
Not one person in this forum is qualified to know whether his time with the team was wasted or not. Simply talking out of your ass.

Well with that kind of logic none of us are qualified to talk about basically anything that goes on with the team. So then what's the point of these forums, may as well just be a place to talk about food and beer

.....oh

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
I just don't like sending a message of failure to your first round pick and sending him rusty back to his home country's league to catch up and get up to game speed.

He has a startling lack of self-confidence for a professional athlete if he considers himself a failure for barely missing a standard 95% of his age group will fail to meet.
Now he has to go back and adjust to his team and regain the trust of those coaches.

He's an NHL first round talent. They would be stupid to not throw him as much ice time as he can handle and presume he'll perform well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Unsustainable

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
Well with that kind of logic none of us are qualified to talk about basically anything that goes on with the team. So then what's the point of these forums

And this is different from any other topic about the team how?

If you're being silly, then I'll LOL right along with you.

If you're serious, then I'd say watching last night's game give you plenty to talk with direct evidence to support your point(s)...and that's just one easy example. The subject isn't one of...defensive zone exits, the forecheck, the positioning of the goaltender, PP/PK strategy/tactics, slotting of players on lines/pairings, the inserting/pulling of players in the lineup, trades, promotion/demotion, the position of the team in the league or its market...so many topics allow for opinion, topics that you can debate and supply with evidence, etc.

But when the mental state of a particular player is the topic, your opinion is nothing more than shit you've pulled out of your ass. And no, I don't care to read about the shit that people pull out of their ass, *especially* when it assumes the worst.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
But when the mental state of a particular player is the topic, your opinion is nothing more than **** you've pulled out of your ass. And no, I don't care to read about the **** that people pull out of their ass, *especially* when it assumes the worst.

Kind of like Eric Staal's leadership ability and dedication? Sorry, I couldn't resist. :D

vorbis

bunch of likes
Feb 9, 2013
YTZ
I really think it's Fine that he's going back to Czech to play a bunch of minutes. ideally there's an idea of what he needs to take the next step, and he can focus on that kind of thing while he's beasting against grown men in Brno.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Everything I've ever heard (including a couple of personal NHL relationships) is that you never harm a player's development by being exposed to the best league in the world, on AND off the ice. Sure, he only played one (?) game...but going on the road trip, seeing the rest of the roster's work habits, game prep, pre- and post-game attitudes....that can't be a bad thing.

The most important thing isn't how it affects Necas' season in the Czech Republic; it's to ensure there are no surprises when he comes back over here. When that happens, Necas will be expected to make the team. That alone will be enough on his plate; for there to be no surprises, that is huge.

That's a very good point. Like I said earlier, my initial thoughts were to get him back over there sooner, rather than later, but I've come around to the rationale of having kept him here longer.

sheriff bart

Where are the white women at
Nov 11, 2010
Rock Ridge
Considering my wealth of expert knowledge on the issue, I think he was bound to go back to the Czech Republic (provided he wasn't NHL ready and had already stated he'd rather return to the CR than Charlotte) all along and they wanted to keep him around a while and work on some things. They did that, let him take a road trip, got a few days of NHL pay, etc. What's the problem?

He can get big minutes playing with older players. He can eat home cooking. He can work on his English. He can put on a little weight.

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
What's the problem?

Thread review:
  • It was a shitty plan and wasted time.
  • He's now rusty and has to play catch-up.
  • He has to regain the trust of Brno coaches.
  • He will be out of sync with Brno teammates.
  • He has lost a month of in-game playing.
  • He couldn't possibly be learning anything that he hadn't already learned in training camp.
  • His being kept on the NHL roster sent him "a message of failure". <-- my personal favorite

sheriff bart

Where are the white women at
Nov 11, 2010
Rock Ridge
It's right here on page 113.

Thou shalt not keep an 18 year old Czech player on an NHL roster for a 2 week period without returning him to his homeland or AHL to play.

0470836857.jpg

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Thread review:
  • It was a ****ty plan and wasted time.
  • He's now rusty and has to play catch-up.
  • He has to regain the trust of Brno coaches.
  • He will be out of sync with Brno teammates.
  • He has lost a month of in-game playing.
  • He couldn't possibly be learning anything that he hadn't already learned in training camp.
  • His being kept on the NHL roster sent him "a message of failure". <-- my personal favorite

If you're going to quote, quote. If you're going to editorialize, at least make it clear that's what you're doing. How could his being kept on the roster be seen as a message of failure? It was the demotion after being scratched for a month of games and getting half a real chance to change it. I'm not over here wringing my hands about it, but it's not an absurdity. What kind of message would you suggest it sends to have your season start this way? One of glowing confidence?

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
No, what you’re saying isn’t a complete absurdity; it’s one of many possible outcomes from what has transpired. But I don’t believe it is the likely outcome, if for no other reason than it would be be among the darkest of possible outcomes, and neither black nor white ends up being the color the world is painted with.

And yes, I would find it somewhat likely that, with proper communication and handling, young Martin - after making an NHL roster and traveling with the team on a long road trip and visiting new cities and eating in fine restaurants and sleeping in 5-star hotels and practicing with the high-level talent and getting top-notch coaching - could have packed his bags for home with a big old smile on his face. In fact, I believe it is WAY more likely than the outcome you’ve laid out.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Only now I realized a possible reason for the curious roster usage of young Martin in the beginning of the season.

He has an European Assignment clause for 2017-18 in his contract, meaning that if he was Loaned to minors (=sent to AHL), he has the option of seeking employment in a non-American league instead for the duration of the loan. It may or may not have been a consideration. He was in position to opt out from Checkers, I can't guess if that was happening behind the scenes.

But the clause is there because he and his agent wanted it to be there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad