Prospect Info: Martin Kaut RW (2018 #16 overall) l ELC signed 7/5/18

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I'm fine with that, I'd prefer to draft the guys that you can tell have the talent and smarts to play in the NHL but just aren't physically ready yet. Especially as he did pretty good in a men's league for his age. I'm not concerned about him getting stronger, I think he'll realize he needs to bulk up a bit when he joins the AHL team.
I'd prefer him to bulk up before joining the AHL.

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
Finally getting to catch up a bit. Not going to lie i'm pretty excited about Kaut. I like that he can be in the AHL next year too. Hopefully he has a easy time transitioning over, and seems willing to do what it takes to be a pro and improve.

Reactions: ASmileyFace

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Considering he's most likely in the A next season, he'll have time to bulk up a bit but...

That's what I'm saying...I know he wants to play in the AHL next year but we don't know if the AVS will be comfortable with that. Not at that weight anyway.. AHL players can be brutal with each other and they don't care about skinny 18 year olds.

As a comparison, Makar was 13.5lbs heavier last year despite being 3" shorter. That's a huge difference.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
That's what I'm saying...I know he wants to play in the AHL next year but we don't know if the AVS will be comfortable with that. Not at that weight anyway.. AHL players can be brutal with each other and they don't care about skinny 18 year olds.

As a comparison, Makar was 13.5lbs heavier last year despite being 3" shorter. That's a huge difference.
I read something along the lines of him being strong on his skates, considering his lankiness. And he already played a season and a half in an elite league. The AHL is more physical but it's not like these different adults are somehow considerably larger on average (2 min for too much man). Luckily he already said in an interview he's skinny, so at least he knows to work on that.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
So after watching that video, I can safely say that "I get it". Seems like a great kid with the right kind of attitude for sure.

On my end, I only get one part of the equation...I don't get to meet any of these kids...I don't know what they are like in real life; if they are humble or conceited a-holes or what not.

A few people in this thread, I think really hit the nail on the head...the Avs swung for the fences last year with Makar so this year, they went with a player they felt was going to be a solid pro but maybe not necessarily a superstar.

For pick #16, I definitely wanted Serron Noel and if not, Jonatan Berggren. I believe those guys have tremendous potential and it will be very interesting to see who has the better career out of those 3 guys along with Kaut.

In my draft guide, I compared him to 'Jason Pominville at his peak' as a best case scenario and I stand by that. If I'm wrong and he's way better than that, I'll be thrilled!

I wouldn't complain about getting a full career's worth of peak-Pominville at 16 OV...says the Sabres-sympathizer...

...even if I still would have preferred Bokk :laugh:

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver

The Avs already said it is basically up to Kaut if he wants to play in North America or Europe next season. So if Kaut chooses NA then it's a good assumption that he will play for the Eagles.

I personally think it would be good for him to come over and get used to the smaller rink size and American lifestyle.

People get way too caught up on size. He obviously did just fine against men last season. It's not like there are mutant men in the AHL that are way bigger than anyone else.

Reactions: McMetal

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
The Avs already said it is basically up to Kaut if he wants to play in North America or Europe next season. So if Kaut chooses NA then it's a good assumption that he will play for the Eagles.

I personally think it would be good for him to come over and get used to the smaller rink size and American lifestyle.

People get way too caught up on size. He obviously did just fine against men last season. It's not like there are mutant men in the AHL that are way bigger than anyone else.
That's mostly true. It can be more reckless though physically than the Euro leagues. But still, a full summer to train and put on muscle under the guidance of the development staff should be enough to get him ready for a year there.

Rexor

Oct 24, 2006
Brno
IMO he's nearly 30lbs away from being an NHLer. 6'2 174lbs is skinny as **** even for his age group.
He doesn't look skinny at all to me. Probably old numbers, he didn't get measured and weighed at draft combines because of leaving early due to the heart condition.

Reactions: McMetal

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
So after watching that video, I can safely say that "I get it". Seems like a great kid with the right kind of attitude for sure.

On my end, I only get one part of the equation...I don't get to meet any of these kids...I don't know what they are like in real life; if they are humble or conceited a-holes or what not.

A few people in this thread, I think really hit the nail on the head...the Avs swung for the fences last year with Makar so this year, they went with a player they felt was going to be a solid pro but maybe not necessarily a superstar.

For pick #16, I definitely wanted Serron Noel and if not, Jonatan Berggren. I believe those guys have tremendous potential and it will be very interesting to see who has the better career out of those 3 guys along with Kaut.

In my draft guide, I compared him to 'Jason Pominville at his peak' as a best case scenario and I stand by that. If I'm wrong and he's way better than that, I'll be thrilled!

I would be absolutely thrilled if he followed Pominville's career arc (albeit, hopefully he makes the jump to the NHL earlier). I don't know if you're underrating Pominville, but at his peak he was a PPG, two-way winger. Even in his other prime years, he was still a consistent ~25 goal, 60 point player who was always in the top 3 in points for Buffalo.

If Kaut can make the jump to the NHL at age ~20 instead of ~22 and have Pominville's production, that would be a steal of a pick at #16.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
He doesn't look skinny at all to me. Probably old numbers, he didn't get measured and weighed at draft combines because of leaving early due to the heart condition.
Hey, now that is an excellent point. Those numbers are almost certainly old, I hadn't thought of that. Maybe we can find out more at the development camp if somebody tweets at BSN, I'm sure they do their own weights there.

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
Are Hejda and/or Hejduk still in Colorado? Hopefully they can take Kaut and Francouz under their wings to help them transition to the North American lifestyle, especially if both end up playing for the Eagles next year.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Are Hejda and/or Hejduk still in Colorado? Hopefully they can take Kaut and Francouz under their wings to help them transition to the North American lifestyle, especially if both end up playing for the Eagles next year.

Hopefully Duke doesn’t take them for drunken, way-under-the-speed-limit joy rides at 3 AM.

Reactions: GBoeklen32 and cgf
Mar 11, 2013
QC
I watched an interview with Kaut (in Czech) and he said he's glad to have Francouz in Colorado, the interviewer brought up both Hejda and Hejduk, Kaut said he would be a bit intimidated to get in contact with them on his own. I believe Hejduk still lives in Colorado so I have no doubt he will reach out to him. Also said his favorite player is Bergeron and that he models his game after him.

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
I watched an interview with Kaut (in Czech) and he said he's glad to have Francouz in Colorado, the interviewer brought up both Hejda and Hejduk, Kaut said he would be a bit intimidated to get in contact with them on his own. I believe Hejduk still lives in Colorado so I have no doubt he will reach out to him. Also said his favorite player is Bergeron and that he models his game after him.
Thanks for relaying that on to us! I would be surprised if Hejduk didn't reach out to Kaut to at least welcome him to the organization. Hejduk was always a very classy guy. As for Kaut modeling his game after Bergeron - if he becomes half the player Bergeron is, that's a coup for us. Hopefully Kaut can experience some of the same success Bergeron has throughout his career.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Hejduk does live in Colorado, and it seems likely that being the guy he is he's going to reach out to Kaut. He's not exactly involved with the Avs org because he coaches youth hockey with his sons, but I'm sure he'll talk to him.

Mar 11, 2013
QC
Just to add onto that a bit, his English is obviously not fantastic yet so I'm not sure how he comes off in his interviews but I thought his Czech interviews were great, very articulate, humble guy. He really seems to take pride in his two way game that he credits his brother for.

Very low bust potential imo, I just can't see him not finding a regular NHL spot somewhere in the lineup with that mix of attitude and skillset. If he could end up putting up Palat numbers (decent stylistic comparison too) that would be fantastic.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Hejduk does live in Colorado, and it seems likely that being the guy he is he's going to reach out to Kaut. He's not exactly involved with the Avs org because he coaches youth hockey with his sons, but I'm sure he'll talk to him.

Didn’t he sell his house recently? Did he just move within the area?

Rexor

Oct 24, 2006
Brno
I agree with that is unfortunate, hard to see him not to establish himself as at least a 3rd liner in the NHL. Size, skill, good skating, works hard in all zones, hockey sense, looks like a nice kid too. Nothing is certain of course but I do see him as a very safe prospect. Most likely career projection is a 20-30-50 2-way winger, imo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad