Prospect Info: Martin Kaut RW (2018 #16 overall) l ELC signed 7/5/18

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Why do we put so much stock in "draft lists"? If Sakic and Co think he's just what we need at #16, he's worth the 16th pick. I'm quite stoked tbh. He has a great attitude and plays the game with enthusiasm. I take our scouting departments view of Kaut over any analyst. I'm cautiously optimistic but ultimately optimistic. Living in Loveland, I can't wait to see this kid on the ice for the Eagles.

There's nothing wrong with "taking stock" in lists from people who put in the work, no one is treating it as scripture. It's just one guide created by one guy, he qualifies it as such. Picks/predictions go awry all the time, but it makes for fun debate. All I can say is I think better players were on the board at the time, but again, that's my opinion, influenced by what I've read/heard over the past few months. And even if that's true, that doesn't make it a bad pick. It's only a bad pick if the player doesn't pan out.

Pacman33

#teamZ
Feb 9, 2017
Where is everyone? No henchy or bender giving their thoughts on kaut or gtg giving the 411 on the grubauer deal. Probably got too annoyed with site crashing earlier lol

Reactions: RandomAvsFan

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Side note--this is the first draft where I actually read up a little on the prospects in this draft. This was definitely the draft to do that because it kinda went off the rails in terms of consensus picks vs. what teams actually did.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Side note--this is the first draft where I actually read up a little on the prospects in this draft. This was definitely the draft to do that because it kinda went off the rails in terms of consensus picks vs. what teams actually did.

I'd say we made one of the most consensus picks in the entire first round lol. I do like that it wasn't a completely safe pick, though I do feel like we picked a player with a higher floor than we could have. Teams went and picked the safer guys ahead of us though with Farabee gone. I wanted Veleno, but after seeing how far he fell I can't help but question my own evaluation there. Bokk is probably the guy I'll follow wondering if..

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I'd say we made one of the most consensus picks in the entire first round lol. I do like that it wasn't a completely safe pick, though I do feel like we picked a player with a higher floor than we could have. Teams went and picked the safer guys ahead of us though with Farabee gone. I wanted Veleno, but after seeing how far he fell I can't help but question my own evaluation there. Bokk is probably the guy I'll follow wondering if..

I don't agree with it & would've taken my countrymen instead; but I can see why Joe wouldn't want to swing for the fences with this pick as much, given that we no longer have a surplus of picks this year & that we went so homerun-swing heavy last year.

...but we better be taking big ass swings again next year and as this draft moves on. Not just cause safe-is-death, but also because our pipeline still needs bluechip talents more than anything.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Had Bender's draft guide on the laptop, had to scroll waaaaaaay down to find him at #40.

Tool-wise he's precisely what the Avs need, a guy who plays a 200-foot game and doesn't hesitate to head into the greasy areas to make plays. Also a good skater and isn't a beast, but has some size.

That said this feels like a "need" draft pick than a "best player available." Still, I like the kid and sure hope Hepple & Co. made the right choice.

I feel like if we went with a 'need' draft pick we would've drafted Bokk, IMO a player like Bokk is a greater need than Kaut. I think the Avs went with their BPA on their list, with the exception of maybe Smith (and I can understand if they ranked Smith a bit higher but they still went with their next player on the list).

I think it's pretty clear there's some red flags with Veleno. This isn't another Barzal situation where there were some questionable drafting teams that could've picked him (NJ, San Jose, Florida, Dallas, Boston). Veleno fell through almost every team in the league, there has to be a reason for that. Reminds me of Kylington, who was high-touted heading into his draft season and disappointed. He was still ranked in the mid/late 1st but fell all the way to 60th overall. Still looks like he could become a decent player, but not a player teams are kicking themselves for passing on.

Last edited:

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
From what I've read about Kaut I wonder if the strategy this year is to pick guys who will be NHL-ready sooner rather than later so that the whole team is peaking at the same time in ~2-3 years.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I like Kaut the player, but his heart does make me uneasy a bit.

My wife provided the most unlikely NHL draft commentary last night. But she’s a CRNA and has/had a similar condition. The second they mentioned it on tv, *bam* medical encyclopedia.

It’s a minor condition that’s corrected by a relatively minor procedure where they go through a vein or artery in the leg, up to the heart, and burn a section. Once they’ve had the procedure, it’s usually taken care of, and they’re 100% good to go with no additional side effects.

Heart condition is a scary phrase, but this type is the best you can have.

lonelybadger

Feb 22, 2013
Toronto
I like this pick the best because of the AHL availability. New AHL team will need some new bodies . Also much easier to predict NHL success based on AHL performance.

HugeMetalFan

Jul 30, 2015

I like this guy, especially surprised by his defensive awareness. They even played him on PK.

LTC Pain

Jul 1, 2006
Colorado Springs, CO
From Pro Hockey Rumors. Get me excited about Kaut :)

16. Colorado – F Martin Kaut, Dynamo Pardubice (Czech Republic)
Kaut is one of the safest picks of this draft class due to his next-level hockey IQ. The big Czech winger plays smart, mistake-free hockey all while staying active on offense. He can win battles along the boards and excels at using space and finding offensive opportunities. He also has a developed two-way game and forechecking ability. Kaut will never be a super-skilled player and surrenders some scoring upside by not taking risks with the puck, but at the end of the day is a near-guaranteed future NHLer.

Reactions: SaltySkywalker

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
From Pro Hockey Rumors. Get me excited about Kaut :)

16. Colorado – F Martin Kaut, Dynamo Pardubice (Czech Republic)
Kaut is one of the safest picks of this draft class due to his next-level hockey IQ. The big Czech winger plays smart, mistake-free hockey all while staying active on offense. He can win battles along the boards and excels at using space and finding offensive opportunities. He also has a developed two-way game and forechecking ability. Kaut will never be a super-skilled player and surrenders some scoring upside by not taking risks with the puck, but at the end of the day is a near-guaranteed future NHLer.

So basically the kind of player every good team needs in it's middle 6 forward group. Great :thumbu:

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Yeah it's a solid pick. Could have swung for the fences a little more and went after Bokk. But at the same time a player who thinks the game as well as Kaut does and who plays with such energy as well is a player who can have quite the upside as well simply from that work ethic and drive.

One thing I dont love about him is the fact he's one of the oldest players in the draft. Always wonder how that factors in compared to his peers around him that were born in 2000 and have that year less of development still pretty much.

That said, the fact he's willing and even eager to come over and play with the Eagles in the AHL next year is also awesome. The Eagles are going to be a fun team to watch next year and should also be a very good one as well.

Shvy, Timmins, Francouz, Kaut, Greer, Meloche, Lewis, Barron, Dickinson, Beaudin, Anderson... A lot of young guys on that team that will be competing to earn a taste of the NHL action next year. Should make for a good but competitive environment for the Eagles first season.

The Pwnerer

Jan 27, 2006
Love that he can play in the AHL next year, fits more with our timeline and could see some time with the big club as soon as year 2. To me it sounds like he plays a Palat like game. Im excited to follow his progress next year.

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
So basically the kind of player every good team needs in it's middle 6 forward group. Great :thumbu:

Exactly, and it's the perfect type of pick to make at that range in a draft like this. I know some here are enamored with a swing for the fences approach but no team will base their whole draft strategy on that philosophy. The NHL is a results-driven business.

I can get behind riskier picks in later rounds and weaker drafts (like last year) but I'll always be on the more cautious side when it comes to drafting.

BleedWell

Jan 6, 2018
One thing I dont love about him is the fact he's one of the oldest players in the draft. Always wonder how that factors in compared to his peers around him that were born in 2000 and have that year less of development still pretty

I have the same concern. Little bit. But then again it was the same thing with Rantanen and he's been "ok".

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad