Prospect Info: Martin Kaut RW (2018 #16 overall) l ELC signed 7/5/18

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
He also tends to score a lot of goals on close to the net, which IMO is an underrated skill to have. In today's game, the greasy goals are the ones you have to be able to score in close games, not everything can be a wicked dangle in the playoffs where you don't have the space to be pretty.

Reactions: Spleenless Wonder21

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
@RoyIsALegend TPS, for major loss bro. Not even his position in the main title?
Welcome! What kind of NHL timeline are we looking at?
I personally want him to stay in the Czech league for one more season and just tear it up on the WJC and then bring him in the AHL for the year after that. Full seasons on both of them.

Now though, I am expecting him two have full two seasons in the AHL before he's considered to join the Avs any time soon.

Reactions: Avs_19

VikingAv

Mediiic!!
Jun 18, 2006
Norway
Yeah, I'm happy both ways, mate. I really think Grubauer can be our long term number 1, and think he may even push Varly this season. But jeez it's an amazing 1-2 punch.Possibly best in the league imo. Still, not getting all the Orpik hate though from everyone.
Easy on the Foster's there, mate. Wouldn't at all be surprised if Grubauer plays more games than Varly this year, though, be it of injury or qualitative reasons.

Reactions: Spleenless Wonder21

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
FWIW Button compares him to TJ Oshie.
Definitely not as tricky nor as physical as him, but again I see Kaut with superior vision. Sochie is a really dirty-within-the-lines type of player, Kaut will never be that angry or physical. Again, the Jakob Silfverberg comparison is starting to become more and more comfortable for me.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
Definitely not as tricky nor as physical as him, but again I see Kaut with superior vision. Sochie is a really dirty-within-the-lines type of player, Kaut will never be that angry or physical. Again, the Jakob Silfverberg comparison is starting to become more and more comfortable for me.

Playmaker Silfverberg or Poor Mans Hossa

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Playmaker Silfverberg or Poor Mans Hossa

Exactly the kind of forward the Avs need too. Especially in a right handed RW. I know Hepple was preaching BPA, but it's hard not to think that need came into play a little bit here.

He's just a great fit to play with Jost if they're committed to him at center for the future. A little size, some grit, two way ability, really good playmaking skills to go along with an underrated shot. Fits well with Jost who's got a great shot and has underrated playmaking skills of his own.

Excited to see how he develops with the Eagles next year. Stylistically I love this fit for the Avs.

Last edited:

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
He reminds me a lot of Jost where he's not the sexy pick, but someone you will all consider solid down the road here. Hepple mentioned in the forty-minute interview that Sakic told him to simply target hockey intelligence (which I absolutely on the board with, it's my favourite area to target as well). He isn't as crafty, elusiveness, nor hard to control compared to someone like Bokk who I would consider a similar player in terms of talent and potential.

However, Kaut's vision and field of view is definitely one of the best in this draft - I would put Ryan Merkley, Quinn Hughes, and a couple others of having better field of view. Just a very smart player with the puck that has a really underrated two-way game due to his smarts (more positioning than physicality). Not a lot of tools at the moment and definitely needs to work on his shot heaviness, but his skating is very smooth. That's how I would describe his game overall, smooth player who opens it up East to West instead of being a North to South bulldog.

Probably tops out as a 2nd line winger who fits perfectly within our team, reminds me of Reilly Smith's overall game with Mats Zuccerello's playmaking and vision. Perhaps a playmaking version of Jakob Silfverberg is another comparison you can use off the top of my head.

It's weird I agree with you he's similar to the Jost pick ;)

Has skill but is a safer complete player who doesn't have any true elite area of his game but also no real holes either. Has better size and uses it to protect the puck well but doesn't throw it around as much as preferred like Mikko. See him as a mid 6 2way winger who might reach 2nd line 50ish point upside. Poor mans Hossa seems like a good comp

Reactions: cgf

Echo Roku

Jan 14, 2018
Man, guy looks so happy after every goal in the highlights. Seems like he really, really enjoys it and I love that

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Had Bender's draft guide on the laptop, had to scroll waaaaaaay down to find him at #40.

Tool-wise he's precisely what the Avs need, a guy who plays a 200-foot game and doesn't hesitate to head into the greasy areas to make plays. Also a good skater and isn't a beast, but has some size.

That said this feels like a "need" draft pick than a "best player available." Still, I like the kid and sure hope Hepple & Co. made the right choice.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Had Bender's draft guide on the laptop, had to scroll waaaaaaay down to find him at #40.

Tool-wise he's precisely what the Avs need, a guy who plays a 200-foot game and doesn't hesitate to head into the greasy areas to make plays. Also a good skater and isn't a beast, but has some size.

That said this feels like a "need" draft pick than a "best player available." Still, I like the kid and sure hope Hepple & Co. made the right choice.

Yeah lets hope this is a @Bender miss this time. We give Pronman shit for Landeskog still, so hopefully Bender gets some for a while lol.

Reactions: Pokecheque

Ncit3

Oct 19, 2011
Colorado

Why do we put so much stock in "draft lists"? If Sakic and Co think he's just what we need at #16, he's worth the 16th pick. I'm quite stoked tbh. He has a great attitude and plays the game with enthusiasm. I take our scouting departments view of Kaut over any analyst. I'm cautiously optimistic but ultimately optimistic. Living in Loveland, I can't wait to see this kid on the ice for the Eagles.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad