Prospect Info: Martin Kaut RW (2018 #16 overall) l ELC signed 7/5/18

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
Not sure what I think of the pick, but I have faith in our scouting staff so can't wait to see what he brings!

Side note: wow how our team has changed since MacK got drafted. I love where our D has headed, I love our scouting staff and I love our management.

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
Orpik is not long for the Avs’ roster. They’re either trading him or buying him out.

I know that was said, but things happen. I kind of hope he's here for 12 months to mentor Zadorov, Girard and others. The guys a winner.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
I know that was said, but things happen. I kind of hope he's here for 12 months to mentor Zadorov, Girard and others. The guys a winner.

Sakic has said he’s already told him he’ll be moved or bought out. He’s not suiting up for the Avs.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Right now, as it stands Orpik is an Av. So yup, love him.

I wouldn't mind if he stayed, but honestly he probably does not want to be an Av. So with that said I think there isn't any reason to keep a vet on your roster who does not want to be there. Sakic used his cap space to fill a hole without giving up a top end asset. You have to be happy about that at least.

Who knows, maybe Orpik decides to call Sakic and tell him hes motivated to play for the Avs next year, but I doubt it.

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
I wouldn't mind if he stayed, but honestly he probably does not want to be an Av. So with that said I think there isn't any reason to keep a vet on your roster who does not want to be there. Sakic used his cap space to fill a hole without giving up a top end asset. You have to be happy about that at least.

Who knows, maybe Orpik decides to call Sakic and tell him hes motivated to play for the Avs next year, but I doubt it.

Yeah, I'm happy both ways, mate. I really think Grubauer can be our long term number 1, and think he may even push Varly this season. But jeez it's an amazing 1-2 punch.Possibly best in the league imo. Still, not getting all the Orpik hate though from everyone.

To the window!
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka
Yeah, I'm happy both ways, mate. I really think Grubauer can be our long term number 1, and think he may even push Varly this season. But jeez it's an amazing 1-2 punch.Possibly best in the league imo. Still, not getting all the Orpik hate though from everyone.
He’s just old

Spleenless Wonder21

Done like dinner
Jun 29, 2009
Ohio
2cqgpc.jpg

im-out-gif-7.gif

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
He reminds me a lot of Jost where he's not the sexy pick, but someone you will all consider solid down the road here. Hepple mentioned in the forty-minute interview that Sakic told him to simply target hockey intelligence (which I absolutely on the board with, it's my favourite area to target as well). He isn't as crafty, elusiveness, nor hard to control compared to someone like Bokk who I would consider a similar player in terms of talent and potential.

However, Kaut's vision and field of view is definitely one of the best in this draft - I would put Ryan Merkley, Quinn Hughes, and a couple others of having better field of view. Just a very smart player with the puck that has a really underrated two-way game due to his smarts (more positioning than physicality). Not a lot of tools at the moment and definitely needs to work on his shot heaviness, but his skating is very smooth. That's how I would describe his game overall, smooth player who opens it up East to West instead of being a North to South bulldog.

Probably tops out as a 2nd line winger who fits perfectly within our team, reminds me of Reilly Smith's overall game with Mats Zuccerello's playmaking and vision. Perhaps a playmaking version of Jakob Silfverberg is another comparison you can use off the top of my head.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Fantastic pick for you guys. My favorite prospect in this draft. I actually took him with the Avs pick in our annual mock draft on HFOil.

I said at the 2015 draft that Rantanen would go to the AHL and go PPG, and I see the same thing in this kid. He already plays a pro game and really has no weaknesses in his game and despite that he has quite a lot of upside. I think he could be a 70 point 1st line winger and I'd have to agree with @Pierce Hawthorne in that he's likely a better prospect than Zadina.

Some highlights on this kid:

VikingAv

Mediiic!!
Jun 18, 2006
Norway
Sea Eagles already fell in love with Orpik and doesn’t want him moved. :lol:

By all means, I'm OK either way with Orpik, but considering last years offseason, I wouldn't be laughing too hard at the proud Aussie. It'll probaly bite you in the ass soon enough. Or kick you in the ass, kenguru-style.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad