Prospect Info: Martin Kaut RW (2018 #16 overall) l ELC signed 7/5/18

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO
This means nothing. They're obviously going to pick their top ranked available guy on the list. Just because it doesn't coincide with the public lists doesn't mean they didn't take the player they thought highest of.
Of course, and we can never really know if they actually did go BPA or if they went need or what.

It's more of a philosophical point

Reactions: McMetal

CalderKing21

Darth Calder
Jun 19, 2011
Birmingham, AL
It would take an insane year from any of those Dmen to crack the Top 5 of next years draft. Like I said there's far more then just Hughes at the top of the draft in terms of elite forwards.

Kakko, Turcotte, Newhook, Cozens, Dach, Peyton.

I'm not saying to draft a forward no matter what. I'm saying its likely the BPA at our position with the Ottawa pick is gonna be a forward anyway. As of right now the only Dman I see with a legit chance to go inside the Top 10 of that draft is Byram. Besides him there's just way too many forwards with tremendous upside.

I see it differently. But I am usually draft D men over forward anyway.

BleedWell

Jan 6, 2018
I watched under 20 friendly Finland vs Czech today. Kaut was playing also. This was the first time I saw him play besides Youtube clips. First of all he looked like a man playing with kids. Unfortunely this was only size wise. He looked slow and didn't get anything done. He got one secondary assist and took two stupid roughing penalties. Just one game I know but didn't look like our future second liner.

Reactions: DanishAvsfan

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
I watched under 20 friendly Finland vs Czech today. Kaut was playing also. This was the first time I saw him play besides Youtube clips. First of all he looked like a man playing with kids. Unfortunely this was only size wise. He looked slow and didn't get anything done. He got one secondary assist and took two stupid roughing penalties. Just one game I know but didn't look like our future second liner.
To be fair, Finland really took it to them.

darthwispy

Jun 8, 2017
He's got spunk, and you can't expect someone with spunk like he does to get hit from behind and take it without throwing something back. I wouldn't necessarily call the other penalty stupid either as he skated in to defend a team mate who was being ganged up on. Personally I think he looks like he will be a great addition to the team and has the talent to be the second liner, him and Landy together could be a dynamite physical shutdown line.

BleedWell

Jan 6, 2018
He's got spunk, and you can't expect someone with spunk like he does to get hit from behind and take it without throwing something back. I wouldn't necessarily call the other penalty stupid either as he skated in to defend a team mate who was being ganged up on. Personally I think he looks like he will be a great addition to the team and has the talent to be the second liner, him and Landy together could be a dynamite physical shutdown line.
Spunk or not two stupid penalties is not a positive thing. And I agree that he will be a good addition to the team down the road but not that second line offensive help we are desperately looking for. They are playing again today. Hope he can show some offensive flashes.

BleedWell

Jan 6, 2018
Judging a guy in his first random exhibition game in the middle of summer is little more puzzling for me.
You find it puzzling? Really? Our first round pick plays his first game after the draft and you shouldn't judge or review him at all becouse it's summer? :D

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
You find it puzzling? Really? Our first round pick plays his first game after the draft and you shouldn't judge or review him at all becouse it's summer? :D

Of course you could do that. It's just that it's not a very good indicator of anything.. Guys are playing their first games in months and players will be rusty. It's hard to draw any kind of conclusions from these summer games IMO.

Thanks for sharing the info though. Info is always welcomed.

LieutenantDangle

Barry McKockner
Oct 28, 2014
'Merica

It just seems like you’re putting too much weight into a one game sample size. If we wrote Mikko off after his first stint in the NHL as a top talent like you are with Kaut it would make us look pretty stupid... he’s a prospect not an immediate impact player. Prospects take time to develop

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
You can judge him on it but all it is is a hot take. A scorching, uninformed one at that

I'd rather we not put people on blast for sharing observations of a prospect's performance we otherwise wouldn't have access to, he did more than enough to place his "judgments" within context. You don't need to jump down his throat because you disagree with him.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I'd rather we not put people on blast for sharing observations of a prospect's performance we otherwise wouldn't have access to, he did more than enough to place his "judgments" within context. You don't need to jump down his throat because you disagree with him.
I appreciate what @BleedWell wrote as a scouting report, but I also believe his language is quite strong for a random in the middle of nowhere exhibition game meaning nothing. Like he wrote, "Just one game I know but didn't look like our future second liner.". That's as big of a hot take that I've seen here the past six months.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I appreciate what @BleedWell wrote as a scouting report, but I also believe his language is quite strong for a random in the middle of nowhere exhibition game meaning nothing. Like he wrote, "Just one game I know but didn't look like our future second liner.". That's as big of a hot take that I've seen here the past six months.

There's some real irony at work here when you come in here and cite a time period that encompasses the close of the season, the postseason, the Final, the draft, and the opening of free agency (and alllllll the rumormongering and hype that went on during that time) and say THIS is the hottest take you've seen in that time. :laugh: I'm just gonna say, no, that ain't true unless you've been completely disconnected from this site for the last six months, and I know for a fact that you haven't.

He flat out PREFACED his opinion with "Just one game I know...." A hawt taek would've been something like "I knew they made a mistake in picking him!"

I can understand the need for qualifying this take or that, but it gets to absurd levels when we speak about prospects in here. A little too much praise and we're overhyping him, something negative and we're casting judgments. Keep it up and said people just won't share those observations on here. That doesn't benefit anyone.

Reactions: GoNordiquesGo

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO
I don't really see it that way.

Make career projections based on a mid-July friendly "game" and I'm gonna call it a hot take.

Keep it up and said people just won't share those observations on here

BleedWell can defend himself just fine anyways, not sure why you're policing us for disagreeing. I think saying I "jumped down his throat" for it is a bit of a stretch. You might not want to venture out much further into the internet if that sort of comment gets you in a tizzy

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I don't really see it that way.

Make career projections based on a mid-July friendly "game" and I'm gonna call it a hot take.

He just said the guy didn't look like a future 2nd liner in the NHL, not that he was never gonna be one. There's a big difference.

BleedWell can defend himself just fine anyways, not sure why you're policing us for disagreeing. I think saying I "jumped down his throat" for it is a bit of a stretch. You might not want to venture out much further into the internet if that sort of comment gets you in a tizzy

I'm not policing anyone, I'm not a mod, just putting my own take on the prospect talk that takes place here. Feel free to disagree.

I'm well aware of what's out there in the World Wide Web, doesn't mean I want to see an example of it here, however mild. There's a reason I rarely, if ever venture outside this forum, the main forums are usually way too much for me to take.

Anyway, I've derailed this thread long enough, carry on.

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
I don’t see our prospects ever prior to the NHL so I appreciate any insight, positive or negative, thanks for posting
Exactly let's not make people scared to voice their opinions. Can give them suggestions but it's better to do it non condescendingly.

Last edited:

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I appreciate negative comments about prospects, I've dished thousands of those out here, I would love to know who is stinking it up at the junior level as well. Again, I have no problem in what Bleedwell said if it was more in regards to a really bad WJC showing or even a bad WJC summer showcase. However, context is also needed - for example Canada had an absolutely brutal summer showcase for their WJC team and they eventually won gold last year. These games mean little to absolutely nothing, which is why I've issued a stronger opinion here compared to other times. I would've loved to know @BleedWell's opinion on the game last night, which was the last of the doubleheaders where the Czechs at one point were up 5-0. Then we would have enough information on the two games to make an opinion for ourselves instead of just one game where they got whooped 9-3 or something.

Reactions: LTC Pain and Murzu

BleedWell

Jan 6, 2018
I appreciate negative comments about prospects, I've dished thousands of those out here, I would love to know who is stinking it up at the junior level as well. Again, I have no problem in what Bleedwell said if it was more in regards to a really bad WJC showing or even a bad WJC summer showcase. However, context is also needed - for example Canada had an absolutely brutal summer showcase for their WJC team and they eventually won gold last year. These games mean little to absolutely nothing, which is why I've issued a stronger opinion here compared to other times. I would've loved to know @BleedWell's opinion on the game last night, which was the last of the doubleheaders where the Czechs at one point were up 5-0. Then we would have enough information on the two games to make an opinion for ourselves instead of just one game where they got whooped 9-3 or something.
So here's some new "intel" on Kaut. Although I was only able to watch little over half of that second game.

Finland won the first game 9-3 and Czech won the second 1-5. Numbers lie because both games were quite even but there were lots of powerplays and the goalies weren't good(czech goalie in the first and finnish goalie in the second).
Kaut: in the first game he looked big and slow. Took two stupid penalties(some say defending your team mate isn't stupid penalty but this was like a third man penalty when your team mate doesn't need your help). But the czechs had given up at this point so it was more frustration I think. He also got one secondary assist. But all together the first game was very weak performance by him.
The second game was better. He didn't look slow. Not the fastest guy either. Was maybe the best player along the boards. Got one secondary assist here also. Czechs had many powerplays and he played in their first pp line up. He played the position were Mac, Ovetskin, Laine etc plays. This was maybe his biggest noticeable weakness in game two. Every time he got the puck he shot it but most of the time without any mask and he's shot was mediocre at best. Almost weak.

It was nice too see our first round pick to play. It's summer for sure and the players are in the middle of their heavy training seasons so you can't give too much weight on thease games but I believe strongly that you can see individual players strenghts and weaknesses just watching couple of games. Of course you can't make accurate career predictions but it gives you some information for sure. And when I said he didn't look like a future second liner for us the context was of course the other players on the ice. For example Kotkaniemi, Kakko, Necas, Pajuniemi etc looked like future top-6 NHLers. Kaut didn't. Just one game, now two and just my opinion.

Overall:
+Size. He really looks like a man amongst boys out there.
+Balance and boardplay. I don't think he lost any board battles in those games. You couldn't tackle him off the puck.
In those two/three aspects he looked ready to play in the NHL next season. He won't get eaten alive that's for sure.
+/- Speed. He has a good speed when he gets to accelerate second or two. But yeah, he is not the fastest guy to get going.
-Shot. This was the weakest part of his game I think. He took about ten shots in thease games and they were bad. No where near the NHL level.
-Puck skills/offensive talent. During those two games I didn't see any glimpses of anything special like you would assume from a first round pick playing U20 level.

Just based on two games I would say that if he will become a second liner one day he will be that lines "Landy" not "Rantanen" or "Jost".

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
Hmm interesting. Perhaps the Marian Hossa comparisons inflated my expectations a bit.

I don’t really mind if he ends up being a project. We’ve been blessed with quick progression from young players lately.

BleedWell

Jan 6, 2018
Hmm interesting. Perhaps the Marian Hossa comparisons inflated my expectations a bit.

I don’t really mind if he ends up being a project. We’ve been blessed with quick progression from young players lately.
Same here. Mac, Rants, Jost... If you are a first rounder you are almost instant help. That has been my foolish thought. But looking at Kaut he will not be offensive help for us anytime soon. But who knows, young players can develope fast.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad