Waived: Martin Frk

SimonEdvinssonAtSix

It's possible to commit no mistakes and still lose
Nov 2, 2018
I feel bad for the guy but this is the NHL, when you get your chance you gotta get on it. He has a shot but I didn't see much else from him. If he could have figured out the PP and PK he would have a job as a special teams guy.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
I don't know, Glendening is a peculiar case. I wouldn't trade him unless the return is a significant overpayment, because his value to the Wings as a checking center is immeasurable; I mean, he's got 20 points this season, and a 56.4% faceoff win rate.

I'm slightly intoxicated and can't figure out how to advanced stats, but here's his line from a FO% perspective:

Capture_zpslot6fetk.png

Might he be slightly overpaid? Perhaps, but in my stupid opinion he's a cheap, core building block for the Wings going forward.

Edit: The photobucket watermark is totally covering up Sidney ****ing Crosby, which is one of the more important points of that screenshot.

You sir deserve likes on your post for the bolded sentence alone.

Reactions: RedMenace

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
I was thinking that a team like Montreal would take a look, I guess not. He can help in GR, that's for sure.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
I was thinking that a team like Montreal would take a look, I guess not. He can help in GR, that's for sure.

They might have a week ago when they said they were looking for forward depth, but they went out and picked up Weise and Thompson and now they're apparently looking to unload a forward.

Then again, Frk doesn't exactly provide the kind of "depth" that Weise and Thompson do.

Reactions: Mister Ed

RedWingzz

Everybody loves Raymond
Apr 14, 2009
Canada
He's Pulkkinen 2.0. Has a bomb, but can't aim it. Lacks hockey IQ. I can't count how many times on the PP he just randomly clapped it at the net without even trying to set something up. For his sake I hope he gets an offer in the offseason with another team, but I wouldn't be shocked if his NHL career is over.

But yeah, he does help GR. If Cholo goes down, and Ras goes down, they will have as good a shot as anyone to win the title. That'll be good for Zadina.

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site
They might have a week ago when they said they were looking for forward depth, but they went out and picked up Weise and Thompson and now they're apparently looking to unload a forward.

Then again, Frk doesn't exactly provide the kind of "depth" that Weise and Thompson do.

As a Habs fan, I would trade Hudon for Frk, now that Frk can be send to AHL.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Frk is like Brad May was. A guy who is useful for about 5 minutes a game, and then the team runs a short bench for the other 55 minutes. He won't be a millionaire playing in the AHL, but he will make more money than most of us playing a game he loves.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
As a Habs fan, I would trade Hudon for Frk, now that Frk can be send to AHL.

I mean, the Red Wings really don't get much out of that deal other than saving the $1XXk difference between the salaries for the rest of the season. They'd probably end up waiving Hudon too.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Frk is like Brad May was. A guy who is useful for about 5 minutes a game, and then the team runs a short bench for the other 55 minutes. He won't be a millionaire playing in the AHL, but he will make more money than most of us playing a game he loves.

I think the major similarity with May is that both he and Frk (for this season) made the team and stuck around because of injuries. IIRC, May was signed and kept around because of some injuries to start the season (Eaves?) and the stay was extended by some other long term injuries that piled up (Williams and Franzen?) in the meantime and Leino being garbage. Once guys started getting healthy, May was displaced by Miller who they had plucked from waivers.

I think Frk was destined for GR until Svechnikov went down and all the guys coming from and going on IR/LTIR allowed him to stick around even after they've brought in other guys (De La Rose, and keeping Ehn up). Now that everyone (other than Svech) is healthy, similar to May/Miller, Frk's been displaced by De La Rose.

The major difference (other than the single dimensions they offer(ed)) is that Babcock had some strange stiffy for May for a long time, while Blashill and Co don't exactly seem high on Frk...

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
I think the major similarity with May is that both he and Frk (for this season) made the team and stuck around because of injuries. IIRC, May was signed and kept around because of some injuries to start the season (Eaves?) and the stay was extended by some other long term injuries that piled up (Williams and Franzen?) in the meantime and Leino being garbage. Once guys started getting healthy, May was displaced by Miller who they had plucked from waivers.

I think Frk was destined for GR until Svechnikov went down and all the guys coming from and going on IR/LTIR allowed him to stick around even after they've brought in other guys (De La Rose, and keeping Ehn up). Now that everyone (other than Svech) is healthy, similar to May/Miller, Frk's been displaced by De La Rose.

The major difference (other than the single dimensions they offer(ed)) is that Babcock had some strange stiffy for May for a long time, while Blashill and Co don't exactly seem high on Frk...

I was just making the point that they both had a single skill that meant other than key situations lead to a shortened bench when they were dressed.

Reactions: ShelbyZ

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
www.ShattenkirksKrakenshirt.net
Do you understand what you posted?

"If Crosby and Glendening each took 100 facoffs, Glendening would win 1 more of them."

Whoooooo caaaaaaaaares

I actually do understand what I posted.

Glendening is a 3rd/4th line grinder who wins more faceoffs than one of, if not the best player in the league.

That's something to care about.

And now Frk is still in the system, so nobody loses, and I can stop being super OT.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
I feel bad for the guy but this is the NHL, when you get your chance you gotta get on it. He has a shot but I didn't see much else from him. If he could have figured out the PP and PK he would have a job as a special teams guy.
Why do you feel bad for him? He has a great job playing hockey. If anyone wanted him they could have claimed him. He didn't get claimed because he isn't that good.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Why do you feel bad for him? He has a great job playing hockey. If anyone wanted him they could have claimed him. He didn't get claimed because he isn't that good.
And he was definitely given a fair chance at cracking the lineup. He just didn't have the talent level to stick.

Reactions: Tiesgo2vets

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
He is a professional athlete his life is fine.

He is a human being first and foremost.

I think that is the wrong attitude to take. Just because somebody makes a lot of money or does a job you wish you could do doesn't mean they live in a bubble devoid of the human emotions we all deal with. I don't think he was done wrong, but this is difficult news for him in my opinion.

Feel for Frk, I think it is time to see if he can be a star in the KHL. He honestly is more suited to European hockey in my opinion. Frk has improved a lot, but he is just a tweener kind of player not really good enough for the NHL and too good for the AHL at this point.

Reactions: RedMenace

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
He is a human being first and foremost.

I think that is the wrong attitude to take. Just because somebody makes a lot of money or does a job you wish you could do doesn't mean they live in a bubble devoid of the human emotions we all deal with. I don't think he was done wrong, but this is difficult news for him in my opinion.

Feel for Frk, I think it is time to see if he can be a star in the KHL. He honestly is more suited to European hockey in my opinion. Frk has improved a lot, but he is just a tweener kind of player not really good enough for the NHL and too good for the AHL at this point.
He will be fine. He isn't that good that's why he is having a "difficult" time.. Are they supposed to not waive him because he is a human being?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->