Waived: Martin Frk

GrGriffins

Jan 30, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
If Frk clears waivers and ends up in GR, that means that 2 vets will have to sit out for each game.

Holland did not want to send Ehn back to GR, so Frk was the next option. Will be at the Wings game tomorrow night (if the snow plow ever gets to my street to clear the snow that came down the past few days).

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
This organization values having Christoffer Ehn over Martin Frk. We don't even use Ehn as a center.

Because everyone knows we need another full-timer with very little offensive upside and can take up a roster spot. Ehn is pretty much present day Joakim Andersson. Not a good thing.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
This organization values having Christoffer Ehn over Martin Frk. We don't even use Ehn as a center.

Because everyone knows we need another full-timer with very little offensive upside and can take up a roster spot. Ehn is pretty much present day Joakim Andersson. Not a good thing.

Along that same thinking... Frk is pretty much a present day Pulkkinen. Not a good thing.

Reactions: Oddbob

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
When looking at our lineup after training camp I sort of viewed him as a guy living on borrowed time.

His shot has the potential to be a real asset in the NHL. If he could take even a half step forward in certain aspects he would be an every day bottom 6 winger on some teams (ours) but he lacks IQ and doesn't skate or play very efficiently IMO.

I had said to my buddy I'd be utterly shocked if he ended up logging 30 games for the big club this season. This is before the injuries started piling up, and Svechnikov was shut down for pretty much the entire season. Well, he's at 25 now. He is pretty close, could surpass it if he clears and is brought back up after we trade away an F or 2, but yeah he is pretty much done as anything more than a last resort player IMO. Guys like Ehn, Witkowski, Megan, Turgeon, etc. bring more of a 4th line toolbox in my eyes.

Reactions: RedMenace

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago

Ehn is a markedly more useful player than Martin Frk.

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
Frk is not the most dimensional player. However, even last season, if you substituted Frk for Abdelkader, you got more offensive production out of that line. So, you could waive him or make him a Red Wings assistant captain, I guess.

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Ehn is a markedly more useful player than Martin Frk.

Not seeing that angle at all. Besides age, I'm really curious to know what Ehn possesses in favor of Frk.

Our bottom 6 is awful and at this point, redundant. We have no scoring depth. Both are relatively mediocre players right now, but I have a lot more reason to believe Frk could become a 30-35 point player than Ehn ever will.

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
www.ShattenkirksKrakenshirt.net
Not seeing that angle at all. Besides age, I'm really curious to know what Ehn possesses in favor of Frk.

Our bottom 6 is awful and at this point, redundant. We have no scoring depth. Both are relatively mediocre players right now, but I have a lot more reason to believe Frk could become a 30-35 point player than Ehn ever will.

Frk is a one-trick pony, and that trick rarely works. He seems like a nice, hard-working guy, but he's just a step behind physically and mentally for the NHL for whatever reason.

Ehn forechecks, PKs, and is more of a defensive 3rd/4th line guy than Frk. I've said it before, and I'm too lazy to look it up, but I'd think Frk is a possession black hole, whereas Ehn actually can create turnovers and apply pressure at both ends of the ice.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago

He plays center
He forechecks better
He PKs
He's bigger, stronger, and a better skater
More versatile
Better 5v5

Frks only better attribute at this point is his shot on the PP.

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
He plays center
He forechecks better
He PKs
He's bigger, stronger, and a better skater
More versatile
Better 5v5

Frks only better attribute at this point is his shot on the PP.

They're not even using him at center and he's not a versatile player. He's a bottom 6 player with an emphasis on defensive play which is exactly what the other five bottom 6 forwards on this team possess. He's a redundant piece on a roster that's struggling at every facet of the game. He brings this team nothing that a veteran AHL injury call-up wouldn't.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
They're not even using him at center and he's not a versatile player. He's a bottom 6 player with an emphasis on defensive play which is exactly what the other five bottom 6 forwards on this team possess. He's a redundant piece on a roster that's struggling at every facet of the game. He brings this team nothing that a veteran AHL injury call-up wouldn't.
And he's still more useful than Frk.

Goalie guy

Jul 8, 2011
Taylor MI

Umm well Frk has AHL skating ability, can't move the puck up ice, very rarely sees ice well, has a good shot very rarely gets him self in a spot to use it. Everything just said about Frk Ehn does it and markedly better. It's not even really close.

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
I'm surprised Ehn/Frk is even a debate. Not that I have an opinion either way. It's more that either one will drive the success of the team the way that Paws or the bat boy will make or break the Tigers next year.

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
My hope is that Ehn makes Glenny redundant so we can trade him for a decent pick. Frk isn't replacing anyone. There is zero spot for him now or in the future. Hope he gets a shot elsewhere.

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
www.ShattenkirksKrakenshirt.net
My hope is that Ehn makes Glenny redundant so we can trade him for a decent pick. Frk isn't replacing anyone. There is zero spot for him now or in the future. Hope he gets a shot elsewhere.

I don't know, Glendening is a peculiar case. I wouldn't trade him unless the return is a significant overpayment, because his value to the Wings as a checking center is immeasurable; I mean, he's got 20 points this season, and a 56.4% faceoff win rate.

I'm slightly intoxicated and can't figure out how to advanced stats, but here's his line from a FO% perspective:

Capture_zpslot6fetk.png

Might he be slightly overpaid? Perhaps, but in my stupid opinion he's a cheap, core building block for the Wings going forward.

Edit: The photobucket watermark is totally covering up Sidney f***ing Crosby, which is one of the more important points of that screenshot.

Last edited:

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI
He is a bit of a bust but if he can be a career AHL'er for GR, I am good.

He is not a bust at all as about 44% of 2nd rounders play 50 games in the NHL. It drops to about 34% that reach the 100 game plateau of which Frk is 5 away. It isn't unreasonable that he gets 5 more games in the NHL.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
I don't know, Glendening is a peculiar case. I wouldn't trade him unless the return is a significant overpayment, because his value to the Wings as a checking center is immeasurable; I mean, he's got 20 points this season, and a 56.4% faceoff win rate.

I'm slightly intoxicated and can't figure out how to advanced stats, but here's his line from a FO% perspective:

Capture_zpslot6fetk.png

Might he be slightly overpaid? Perhaps, but in my stupid opinion he's a cheap, core building block for the Wings going forward.

Edit: The photobucket watermark is totally covering up Sidney ****ing Crosby, which is one of the more important points of that screenshot.
Do you understand what you posted?

"If Crosby and Glendening each took 100 facoffs, Glendening would win 1 more of them."

Whoooooo caaaaaaaaares

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
The Frk/Ehn offense debate is kinda silly...

Adjust Frk's numbers having played 210 minutes to Ehn's 386 and you have:

Martin Frk: 1.83G - 7.35A - 9.19P
Cristoffer Ehn: 2G - 4A - 6P

That's barely more than Ehn's offensive output, and that's considering that in those extra 176 minutes Frk would see the same usage he's had this season (IE 68.6% o-zone starts, 13.5% of his ice time on the PP, absolutely zero PK usage), which are all the complete opposite of Ehn's (IE 37.7% o-zone starts, absolutely zero PP usage and 6.2% of ice time on the PK)

Ehn is basically providing the same offense they've gotten out of Frk, all while being deployed in much more a defensive role that doesn't really afford him too many opportunities to contribute on offense vs Frk who is actually sheltered in an offensive role.

Considering that this season is Ehn's first real experience with the NA ice that Frk's been accustomed to for the last 8.5 years, I'd bet it's likely he can provide more offense than Frk in the future. Especially when you also consider that he's a better skater, has a higher hockey IQ and may even have better hands.

I think part of the issue with Frk is that the rest of the league kind of figured out how neutralize his one strength and he doesn't have enough tools to be effective otherwise. Look at is numbers since making the team last season:

First 45 games: 10G - 10A - 14.3 Sh%
Last 48 games: 2G - 8A - 4 Sh%

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad