Martin Frk - overall impression

BlackAces*

Honestly, the only thing I remember about him is that he speared someone in the sack.

Garyboy

Oct 31, 2010
Toronto
His skating looked to be a bit of an issue. His hockey sense and shot were very impressive though.

bruinsfan46

Dec 2, 2006
London, ON
Honestly, the only thing I remember about him is that he speared someone in the sack.

This was all I'll remember him for, the numbers are nice and he did score twice on the Swedes but I just didn't get to see enough of the Czech for him to impress me much, them and Norway were the only teams I didn't live. Seems like a good prospect, I just dont think he's up their with Yakupov or anything like some who've suggested a top three pick or whatnot.

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
is this the kid who nailed a canadian in the sack? I thought he had a real nhl future, but then he had to take a cheapshot like that and ruin his chances at anything.

Rexor

Oct 24, 2006
Brno
is this the kid who nailed a canadian in the sack? I thought he had a real nhl future, but then he had to take a cheapshot like that and ruin his chances at anything.

Sure, because no NHL player has ever engaged in any cheapshot. :rolleyes:

Honestly, it was more embarassing than dangerous and also funny in a way, even Canadian players were laughing.
As for his overall play, I agree with Garyboy. Great shot and average skating though it's likely he will improve the latter.

LiveeviL

No unique points
Jan 5, 2009
Sweden

Subban seems do be doing just fine. Frk will be in NHL asap.

0123456789*

He started of getting fairly sheltered minutes and as the tournament went on they increased, so did his confidence. Anyone who thinks he isnt in the same league as Yakupov is out to lunch. He needs to improve his skating, but other than that he brings many different elements to the game that Yakupov doesnt. In anycase he has lots of work ahead of him but he is among the top prospects for 2012 and continues to be.

Looking at the game summaries his stats show my point so here they are, he didn't even register a shot until the third game. After the Sweden game where he was the best Czech player his ice time never came back down.

#1 Norway 0/38 shots - 2pim
#2 Canada 0/19 shots - 27pim(groin hook)
#3 Sweden 3/21 shots - 2goals(1ppg) - 2pim - +1
#4 Russia 2/34 shots - 1assists(pp)
#5 Germany 2/40 shots - 1assist(pp)
#6 Slovakia 7/45 shots - 1goal(1ppg) - 1assist - +1

I think he impressed and his coaches rewarded him with a biger roll on the team. But then again he for some reason has always managed to produce on the national teams.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hubby

Sep 26, 2006
Singapore
Not impressed by Frk, he's IMO a diver and whining has become his habit!
Cheapshot is the only thing he's good at.

zorz

Mar 8, 2010
I don't know how many teams of QMJHL make the playoffs and how likely Halifax is to make it. Is there any chance Frk will be free for U18 WJC in April? Would be huge difference for the Czech team.

LeafDangler

Apr 25, 2006
I don't know how many teams of QMJHL make the playoffs and how likely Halifax is to make it. Is there any chance Frk will be free for U18 WJC in April? Would be huge difference for the Czech team.

Halifax will probably make the playoffs in one of the last spots.

AwesomePanthers

Maybe next season
Aug 20, 2009
People dislike Frk for once incident, but Kassian has had his share of dirtiness too, but he isn't disliked at all. Just because he Canadian I guess. I liked what I saw from Frk, great shot, but I also see that he have some bad habits with a bit late hits.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto

Is that a joke?

No NHL team will draft him now because he hooked a guy by the cup when he was 17? Gimme a break.

Most NHL scouts will recognize discipline as a concern, and continue to watch him. You want kids who play with passion, they just have to learn some discipline.

Do you still do the same things you did at 17? He's a kid with big upside.....I can guarantee you he hasn't been written off by scouts....Unlike you, these people understand the aging and maturation process of young hockey players.....

dmacgreg37

Dec 11, 2007
British Columbia
As soon as he realizes that he should use his stick for good (his awesome shot) and not evil (spear/hooking people in the balls) he will be just fine. Looked like a good hockey player, considering he's just 17. Interested to see how he'll play next year as an 18 yr old. Needs to get the garbage/undiscipline out of his game. Took a few dumb penalites and it sounds like it wasn't isolated incidents either, as it seems as though that's how he plays back in the Q as well.

Mirinho

Jan 23, 2007
Not bad, but I have seen many, many better 17 year olds at this tournament.

i found 6 players + Frk borned in 1993 and younger on this tournament and Frk is even october 1993

Rickard Rakell (SWE) .... 4GP 3pts
Peter Ceresnak (SVK) ... 6GP 0pts
Samuel Guerra (SUI) ... 6GP 0pts
Miikka Salomaki (FIN) ...6GP 3pts
Olli Maatta (FIN) ... 6GP 0pts
Joel Armia (FIN) ... 6GP 1pt

Martin FRK (CZE) ... 6GP 6pts

dmacgreg37

Dec 11, 2007
British Columbia
i found 6 players + Frk borned in 1993 and younger on this tournament and Frk is even october 1993

Rickard Rakell (SWE) .... 4GP 3pts
Peter Ceresnak (SVK) ... 6GP 0pts
Samuel Guerra (SUI) ... 6GP 0pts
Miikka Salomaki (FIN) ...6GP 3pts
Olli Maatta (FIN) ... 6GP 0pts
Joel Armia (FIN) ... 6GP 1pt

Martin FRK (CZE) ... 6GP 6pts

Gonna go out on a limb here and assume he meant at this (the World Junior Hockey Championship) tournament, and not this (2011 WJHC) tournament.

Mirinho

Jan 23, 2007

oh man, are you kidding? ... :)

OracularSpectacular

Feb 4, 2009
I liked what I saw. The kid has an absolute bomb from the point. But, yea I think skating is the biggest flaw in his game, but I'm sure he'll improve it.

DuklaNation

Aug 26, 2004
Didnt really stand out for me but I only saw him against Canada. The skating comment is valid.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
This kid looks like the real deal. He has a great shot and seems to see the ice very well. His skating is a valid concern, but I think he will be in the NHL by 12/13. He's a phenominal talent and will probably be dominant at next years WJC.

It's good to see the Czech's producing some first round talent again with Frk, Musil and Jaskin all looking to go in the first round. It's unfortunate that Jaskin was injured. From the video that I've seen of him, he looks pretty damn good.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Looks to have the skills and tools to be an NHLer. He certainly didn't look out of place as a 17 year old. Not sure if the spear in the nuts was a temporary lapse in judgement or not but even with questionable intangibles I'd still call Frk a first-round talent, and possibly the best prospect to come out of the Czech Republic in the past couple years (not saying much).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad