Confirmed with Link: Martin Dzierkals Requested Leafs Trade His Rights... Leafs Declined

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
probably wants to play in the A right? and we just came off a championship and have a great deep team thats hard to crack the lineup

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Dubas/Hunter intern GMs traded out of the 1st round in order to draft Dzierkals with the 3rd pick they acquired by moving back.

Just think about the possibility of Leafs staying put (passing on Dzierkals) and drafting Sebastian Aho instead.

They could’ve drafted Aho instead of Dermott even after the 2nd trade down... in fact the only reason they didn’t pick Aho over Dermott is because they already picked Marner 4th overall.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Dubas/Hunter intern GMs traded out of the 1st round in order to draft Dzierkals with the 3rd pick they acquired by moving back.

Just think about the possibility of Leafs staying put (passing on Dzierkals) and drafting Sebastian Aho instead.

Well, the Dermott pick looks like they took a calculated gamble to get one of those second round steals on D. It also sounds like they thought long and hard about Sebastian Aho, and were comfortable moving down from the Travis Konecny pick to do it.

Reactions: Menzinger

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
Isn't it good news when a team says they like you to the point they don't want to trade you lol. Especially if it's a team like the Leafs who aren't really desperate for talent right now.

edit- Actually true I realized my flaw after I posted. A team not desperate for talent means the depth chart is to long.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Lock for the Marlies you think?

Easily. It was really more of a matter of whether he would beat out Brady Ferguson and J.J. Piccinich for a top 12 role or not. Even if he did not get a top 12 role, he'd still get a lot of games in the regular season.

At this point, I think Ferguson is a lock. I think Cracknell is better on the RW than at center, so that likely means Ferguson would draw in as 4C and Cracknell moved over to the RW. Piccinich should still get a fair number of games though. He is a pure RW, but a lot of our other wingers can play both sides so it would be easy for him to get some ice time.

slozo

Aug 28, 2011
Newmarket, ON
Uzredzīt, Dzierkals!
Lai dzīvo sveiks, brālītis!

A guy's gotta make better money if he can I guess ... and get better playing minutes at the same time.

Who knows? Could still work out ...
(Nāc atpakal drīzu!)

bluumax

Mar 7, 2008
So what did this guy do? Tell Dubas to trade him or he's going the K?

If so i wouldn't have traded him either, like Dubas hasn't got more important things to do than ring around looking for a swap deal for a friggin ECHLer. Like many things in hockey, you earn the right to demand a trade, just like you earn a spot in the AHL/NHL.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Dreams die hard.

Dubas (to the rest of the league): Anyone interested in the rights to Martin Dzierkals?
Rest of the League: Not really or only if you take this negative asset in return.

This report is only half true. What Dzierkals really wants is to become a free agent or free to negotiate with other organizations. The Leafs aren't obligated to do this under the current CBA and international agreement with Latvia. If I were the Leafs, I'd tell to his agent that he was free to negotiate an NHL contract with other orgs.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Well, the Dermott pick looks like they took a calculated gamble to get one of those second round steals on D. It also sounds like they thought long and hard about Sebastian Aho, and were comfortable moving down from the Travis Konecny pick to do it.

I'm of the opinion if you are trading back to pick up more picks your strategy is quantity vs quality, and if that pick acquired to move back becomes irrelevant like DZ appears to be than all you did was draft lower than you intended and passed on better players to do so.

I see this situation as Dubas playing Money-Puck here, as he traded back believing his 2 picks have greater value and return (trade out of the 1st to get a 3rd round pick), than the player he could have gotten earlier. .Now that player wants out that they traded back for, so to protect his original Money-Puck move he plans on holding on to him (not that there would be any real trade value for a ECHL player).

Many GMs if a minor league player with little value wanted out of the organization, they would simply release him from his ATO/PTO deal and let him seek employment elsewhere. Its not like they gave him a ELC deal and believe in him, they're just banking on holding his rights for 4 years post draft as a Euro drafted player and see what happens here.

So the fact they played Money-Puck to draft him, is likely impacting this decision to retain him.

Last edited:

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Dreams die hard.

Dubas (to the rest of the league): Anyone interested in the rights to Martin Dzierkals?
Rest of the League: Not really or only if you take this negative asset in return.

This report is only half true. What Dzierkals really wants is to become a free agent or free to negotiate with other organizations. The Leafs aren't obligated to do this under the current CBA and international agreement with Latvia. If I were the Leafs, I'd tell to his agent that he was free to negotiate an NHL contract with other orgs.
I’m fine with Dubas not setting a precedent with any player thinking they can just asked to be moved.
If he thinks he has it rough, just look at Leivo.
I’m sure the org will do everything in their power to get him playing time at the appropriate level he is at. If he is fine in the KHL, so be it. The org will move when it is in their best interest.

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
ECHL: 51GP: 15g, 36pts

Why is there even a thread about this player? The fact that the KHL team wants him says a lot about the KHL

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
I’m fine with Dubas not setting a precedent with any player thinking they can just asked to be moved.
If he thinks he has it rough, just look at Leivo.
I’m sure the org will do everything in their power to get him playing time at the appropriate level he is at. If he is fine in the KHL, so be it. The org will move when it is in their best interest.

Dzierkals' situation is not remotely equivalent to Leivo's.

To date Dzierkals has earned one season of paltry AHL/ECHL money. To this point in his pro career despite a limited opportunity at the NHL level Leivo has accrued close to $2M with another $925M guaranteed this season.

Reactions: Elephanto

Stand Witness

JT
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
irrc, he actually started his OHL career at like 2PPG for about 20 games or so. I thought we might have found a gem at this point.

Then he just produced mediocre for the rest of his junior career.

EDIT: I just went through his first 20 OHL games and he had 13 goals and 15 assists in that span, which is 1.4 PPG.

Literally from that point on he went on to produce PPG for the rest of his regular season OHL career.

Went from 98 point pace to 68 point pace afterwards.

Last edited:

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
No big loss if wants out or does not play ever in Toronto. We got depth and another thing majority of draft picks will never play a single game in NHL.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
If he's not a NHLer, he really doesn't really have any value. He just wasn't good enough, probably even to be an AHLer. Probably could have been released after training camp. But want to play hardball with an NHL team, OK they still retain your rights. Got the feeling he will never see North America, and he knows it. Give him credit though, he left to play in Canada as young teenager and tried to be NHLer. Wasn't going to happen. Wish him well in his KHL career.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I'm of the opinion if you are trading back to pick up more picks your strategy is quantity vs quality, and if that pick acquired to move back becomes irrelevant like DZ appears to be than all you did was draft lower than you intended and passed on better players to do so.

I see this situation as Dubas playing Money-Puck here, as he traded back believing his 2 picks have greater value and return (trade out of the 1st to get a 3rd round pick), than the player he could have gotten earlier. .Now that player wants out that they traded back for, so to protect his original Money-Puck move he plans on holding on to him (not that there would be any real trade value for a ECHL player).

Many GMs if a minor league player with little value wanted out of the organization, they would simply release him from his ATO/PTO deal and let him seek employment elsewhere. Its not like they gave him a ELC deal and believe in him, they're just banking on holding his rights for 4 years post draft as a Euro drafted player and see what happens here.

So the fact they played Money-Puck to draft him, is likely impacting this decision to retain him.

Depends on how they did their draft rankings. They either slid down to scoop up more from a pool of similar prospects, or they liked a few of them more than others.

Hindsight is 20/20, if we had drafted Aho and he had gone onto be the offensive player in his role in Toronto, we could have probably parlayed him into a better young defenseman than Dermott.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->