Confirmed with Link: Martin Dzierkals Requested Leafs Trade His Rights... Leafs Declined

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
The thing is, I do not think he can just walk away after this year. He's a defected player since he was drafted out of a non-transferable league and went back to a non-transferable league. He's ours until he's 26, he goes to a transferable league, or we trade him.

If Dubas likes him enough to not trade him despite his rights expiring in a year, he either is not getting enough in return for him and he'd rather see if he would become good enough after a year in the KHL to see if his value would increase (or try to sign him then), or we get to keep him longer than a year. My money is on the latter one.

He was good enough to be on the Marlies full time next year. He had a spot, but it's not going to be as good as the one he gets in Riga. I don't mind him going away for a few years and coming back when he's close to challenging for an NHL job.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
In hindsight, and maybe at the time, Martins Dzierkals was a terrible selection: small size, redundant to Marner, Bracco and Timashov who were drafted the same year, his country of origin (Latvia) doesn't suggest high end pedigree or development. But when your organization is favoring skill, they'll make these kind of (calculated) blunders.

The Best Leafs Ever

Feb 28, 2017
I would be surprised if anyone traded a 7th round pick for him, the guy is absolutely forgone conclusion at this point. I also liked him as a prospect at one point but he just doesn’t have it in him.

The Best Leafs Ever

Feb 28, 2017
In hindsight, and maybe at the time, Martins Dzierkals was a terrible selection: small size, redundant to Marner, Bracco and Timashov who were drafted the same year, his country of origin (Latvia) doesn't suggest high end pedigree or development. But when your organization is favoring skill, they'll make these kind of (calculated) blunders.

What about players from Germany like RNH and Draisaitl? Then you have to look at Anze Kopitar, you can’t say the guy is bad because he is from a country that’s known for hockey.

Reactions: hotpaws

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
What about players from Germany like RNH and Draisaitl? Then you have to look at Anze Kopitar, you can’t say the guy is bad because he is from a country that’s known for hockey.

I think more the fact that he was a no name prospect from a no name country and developmental system than the country alone. Kopitar and Draisaitl were well known prospects and the latter was a dominant CHL player prior to being drafted. Dzierkals was a flyer.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
There was nothing weird about the Dzierkals pick. He's just the one that hasn't worked out as well as the others, like Timashov and Bracco. They don't all work out, even when you do everything right.

Reactions: meefer

Once

Jul 16, 2010
Thought of him as a 4th liner minimum. Wasn't amazing with the Solar Bears and probably won't make it.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Saw a few games with the Solar Bears while I was down in Orlando this year. Clearly the best player on the team but didn't get the ice time I think he deserved. Actually still think he's a decent player, we just have too many really good wingers in the system right now blocking his path that if he had stayed he's have to outscore them by a lot to secure a roster spot, he was smart to move on and try to build a career for himself.

Reactions: indigobuffalo

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
I hope we keep him. I hope he realizes playing in the KHL is what's best for him and his development. I hope he develops like Buchnevich did where his skill set is 1st round talent, but he just needs to work on the part of his game that makes you an every day NHLer. Buchnevich stayed in Russia for like 3-4 years and now look at him. I see a similar kind of skill set between them even though Buch is the better player. Hopefully Dubas can talk some sense into him and get it through to him he just has to work harder and where to improve.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I think this team is leaning away from big guys that aren't very good...

I'd trade for Tryamkin in a heartbeat. Especially if Dzierkals is the one going the other way. He may not be super amazing, but the guy would be an upgrade on our defense right now.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Trade asset. Why wouldn't a team trade him if the player wants to leave?There's something going on behind the scenes.

Likely because no other team is clamoring to acquire a bordeline ECHL player 4 years after hia draft?

I dont believe the Leafs said they wont trade him. Its much more likely they couldnt trade him if they wanted to, except as a contract dump in larger deal

Reactions: Once and Macallan18

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

Dubas/Hunter intern GMs traded out of the 1st round in order to draft Dzierkals with the 3rd pick they acquired by moving back.

Just think about the possibility of Leafs staying put (passing on Dzierkals) and drafting Sebastian Aho instead.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Dubas/Hunter intern GMs traded out of the 1st round in order to draft Dzierkals with the 3rd pick they acquired by moving back.

Just think about the possibility of Leafs staying put (passing on Dzierkals) and drafting Sebastian Aho instead.

Wasnt Dermott involved? Hes probably going to be worth the gamble.

That said, Ive never been terribly impressed by Dzierkals.

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
Just goes to show how tough it is to make the NHL, let alone the Leafs at the moment. There are many M. Dz type players trying to get to the Show. Good luck.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Interesting that the Leafs seem to be taking the long view with some of these guys,

Though broadly speaking this is a good example of how the current NHL system is relatively unfair from a player’s POV

Raging Bull

Present
Jan 25, 2004
Hamilton, ONT
Meh. If he thinks he has more to offer than I don't blame him, we are just to stacked in the pipelines for him to probably get the ice time he wants to show what he has. Gone are the days of the Christian Hansons and Brayden Irwins getting a cup of coffee in the show just for the hell of it.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
I believe he refused to be a CHL overage last season and wanted to play pro hockey, the kid is still young.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad