Martin Biron retires

FlyerFire

Feb 16, 2003
Visit site
Always a classy guy on and off the ice. I wish him well

TSN Link

Goaltender Martin Biron announced his retirement at the age of 36 on Sunday, after playing parts of 16 NHL seasons.

The New York Rangers put Biron on waivers last week, at which time he said he needed to talk to his family and friends and consider his options. Biron was assigned to the Hartford Wolfpack on Tuesday, but he did not report.

"After thinking about it with my family, I've decided to retire as a player and move on to a new chapter," Biron wrote on his verified Twitter account. "Thank you all for your support."

Biron went 230-191-52 with a 2.61 goals-against average and .910 save percentage in 508 games with the Buffalo Sabres, Philadelphia Flyers, New York Islanders and Rangers. He gave up nine goals on 38 shots in two appearances this season before being waived.

Last edited by a moderator:

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
They let him walk because he was going to cost too much money, but than didnt he sign with islanders for really cheap?

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
They let him walk because he was going to cost too much money, but than didnt he sign with islanders for really cheap?

Marty and his agent really screwed up that summer. They wanted $5M/year with the Flyers (I think the Flyers were offering $2.5M), but there was no goaltending market.

He priced himself out of Philly, who ultimately went with Emery on the cheap instead of Biron.

With no market, he accepted a cheap contract of his own on the island.

Evergreen

Marty's career could have taken a dramatically different path if he hadn't asked for so much money as a free agent 4 years ago. I liked him when he was a Flyer.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Marty was always a cusp starter..couldn't seem to get over the hump although he was amazing against Montreal in the playoffs for us that one year since he disliked them b/c of the Nordiques (his boyhood team) vs Montreal rivalry. Wish he could have carried that over but alas he reverted back to his slightly above to average mean and wasn't the bonafide starter we needed....

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Probably wouldnt have ended any differently. Biron was getting progressively worse with us.

I recall that the Flyers didn't think he had that extra gear to be the go to guy and the fact that he was a backup for the remainder of his career kind of proved as much. Dude was really vanilla and had become somewhat complacent from what I recall..hence why they let him walk. Having said this..what followed wasn't great either.

zarley zelepukin

Oct 25, 2008
Norristown, PA
I recall that the Flyers didn't think he had that extra gear to be the go to guy and the fact that he was a backup for the remainder of his career kind of proved as much. Dude was really vanilla and had become somewhat complacent from what I recall..hence why they let him walk. Having said this..what followed wasn't great either.

Yeah I can't really blame the team for not giving him the kind of contract that he wanted, and we probably wouldn't be so remorseful if not for Emery's hip issues. But I think if he was willing to sign a reasonable contract the Flyers would have liked to have him back. Statistically he was pretty good with us, and no doubt he would have been an upgrade over what we had after him.

jd2210

Registered Non User
Jul 24, 2009
Great White North
I always really liked him. His puck handling shaved 10 years off of my life, but otherwise I have fond memories of him. I wish him the best.

SgtJoseph*

Always liked Marty, one of the better glove hands in the NHL in my view! Wish him and his family all the best !

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
Biron was the last starter with us to post back-to-back .915+ save percentage seasons. Really sad that is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad