Player Discussion Maroon Appreciation Thread

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Just some disclosure that as an Oilers fan I'm feeling really impacted by the Maroon departure. I won't even call it a trade, because we got little in return.

Gonna take a little while to feel differently after this one. This one was hard. The only harder thing would be losing McD or Drai, that's seriously how I feel. This has impacted my other comments on the board and particularly about the game yesterday and about Lucic who I feel is the contract that ultimately impacted the orgs ability to retain Maroon. It doesn't help that Lucic is completely useless and that he so justifies my ranting at his play in anycase. So that I'm taking it out on Lucic AND he is fully deserving of it which is a weird serendipity. I'm not sure how to feel about it. I don't want it.

Honestly I look at Lucic's disinterested play and I think about Maroon. I think about how the bad impacted the good and the good being gone. I wonder what Maroon thinks about that. I can't say I ever noted the two players bonding, being around, or even interacting. They seemed like competitors on the same team. The useless one possessing the NTC and being in Chia's good grace.

Suddenly theres Lucic yesterday doing the rah rah thing that Maroon does for the first time all year. Although Lucic's play was deplorable.

I wonder if Lucic experiences guilt about the Maroon departure. I think he knew that patrick was doing what he was supposed to be doing here.

All of us can only hope that Lucic even tries to fill Maroon's boots.

Reactions: RattsSSV

ThreeOfAPerfectPair

Oct 26, 2017
Edmonton
84b71e31-1832-4917-a9b8-999662a8031b.png

Former Oilers left winger Patrick Maroon gave a young Edmonton fan the experience of a lifetime.

A local teacher, Brett Arlinghaus, reached out to the Big Rig on Twitter after one of his students – a massive Maroon fan – won an award.
Arlinghaus was hoping for a signed photo or a video message for Grade 6 student Tessa Colliou, but what Maroon did went above and beyond.

The left winger, traded to the New Jersey Devils in February, had a trip to Edmonton scheduled and decided to surprise Colliou and her friends with a round of mini golf at West Edmonton Mall.

“I was star struck, I didn't know what to do,” she told CTV News. “I almost fainted.”

“He was amazing. He spent time with her; I think an hour and a half,” Arlinghaus said. “They golfed, talked. It was just amazing to see.”

Colliou and Arlinghaus are now hoping Maroon comes back to the Oilers after he becomes a free agent next week.

https://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/maroon-...ni-golf-round-at-west-edmonton-mall-1.3990325

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
84b71e31-1832-4917-a9b8-999662a8031b.png

Former Oilers left winger Patrick Maroon gave a young Edmonton fan the experience of a lifetime.

A local teacher, Brett Arlinghaus, reached out to the Big Rig on Twitter after one of his students – a massive Maroon fan – won an award.
Arlinghaus was hoping for a signed photo or a video message for Grade 6 student Tessa Colliou, but what Maroon did went above and beyond.

The left winger, traded to the New Jersey Devils in February, had a trip to Edmonton scheduled and decided to surprise Colliou and her friends with a round of mini golf at West Edmonton Mall.

“I was star struck, I didn't know what to do,” she told CTV News. “I almost fainted.”

“He was amazing. He spent time with her; I think an hour and a half,” Arlinghaus said. “They golfed, talked. It was just amazing to see.”

Colliou and Arlinghaus are now hoping Maroon comes back to the Oilers after he becomes a free agent next week.

https://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/maroon-...ni-golf-round-at-west-edmonton-mall-1.3990325
I think the only way Patty comes back is if Lucic is traded, and I just can't see that happening

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I think the only way Patty comes back is if Lucic is traded, and I just can't see that happening

Maroon's a great guy. It really blows we got stuck with someone who probably doesn't even really want to be here (Lucic) and had to lose basically both Hall and Maroon (both of whom enjoyed being here) in the process.

Reactions: Beetle

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Big Rig is awesome.

We chose Lucic over Patty, and Schultz over Petry.

Some bizarre sentiment clouding people rational thought process.

Yes we choose Lucic AND Larsson over Hall.

No we did not choose Lucic over Maroon. Yes having Lucic means we can't sign Maroon but Lucic, barring last year, is a better player.

We choose Schultz over Petry because he is better and Petry didn't want to be here. Imo both sucked, albeit we still need someone with thier role.

Reactions: nabob

Nostradumbass

Divinity
Jan 1, 2007

No we did not choose Lucic over Maroon. Yes having Lucic means we can't sign Maroon but Lucic, barring last year, is a better player.

We choose Schultz over Petry because he is better and Petry didn't want to be here. Imo both sucked, albeit we still need someone with thier role.
That's some strange revisionist history... Petry wanted a long term deal and MacTavish would only sign him for 1 year then traded him away for a 4th rounder right at the deadline...

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
That's some strange revisionist history... Petry wanted a long term deal and MacTavish would only sign him for 1 year then traded him away for a 4th rounder right at the deadline...

Not sure what MacT's incompetence in the Petry situation has to do with Patrick Maroon.

No one thinks Maroon is a better player than Lucic. Maroon was a great pickup.

Essentially the deal was Martin Gernat and a 4th for J.D. Dudek and a 3rd. The fact that Gernat is out of hockey altogether and Dudek is still in the game makes the Maroon transactions worth a clear win for the team, especially considering what a true asset Marron was when he was here.

If/when Maroon signs with the Blues as we all suspect then it will be clearer that getting something for Maroon at the deadline will be a win.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011

Lol. Petry wanted a big contract that honestly he didn't deserve. 5.5? Obviously too much for what he brings imo and he has played waaaaaay better for Montreal than he ever even remotely did prior to signing his last one year deal with us.

Petry wanted one or long term. Mac T was an idiot and agreed to it. Then when Petry had a career year that coincided with his UFA status he refused to sign with the Oilers. No revisionist history. Petry could hsve signed with us and choose to hit UFA as fast as possible and leave. It was rumored for years he wanted to play for home town Minnesota. Who ironically enough wasn't interested in him at all.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

Nostradumbass

Divinity
Jan 1, 2007
Lol. Petry wanted a big contract that honestly he didn't deserve. 5.5? Obviously too much for what he brings imo and he has played waaaaaay better for Montreal than he ever even remotely did prior to signing his last one year deal with us.

Petry wanted one or long term. Mac T was an idiot and agreed to it. Then when Petry had a career year that coincided with his UFA status he refused to sign with the Oilers. No revisionist history. Petry could hsve signed with us and choose to hit UFA as fast as possible and leave. It was rumored for years he wanted to play for home town Minnesota. Who ironically enough wasn't interested in him at all.
You might want to double check those stats again. He had very respectable numbers considering the teams surrounding him and had 1 tough year before MacT traded him. Then, instead of having him shelter JS, they traded him for peanuts and thrust JS into an unwinnable situation.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010

Technically it was Lucic+Larsson and Pulju over Hall

Reactions: Aerchon

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Maroon is a good dude. Really wish we could get him back. Big man that knows how to play in a fast league. 10 times better along the boards than rush only scorer (the super rare times he can get an opening on a rush) Lucic.

Reactions: ohheyhemsky

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Maroon is a good dude. Really wish we could get him back. Big man that knows how to play in a fast league. 10 times better along the boards than rush only scorer (the super rare times he can get an opening on a rush) Lucic.

He seemed pretty set on signing with St. Louis. Not really sure what more can be said about that. I agree he is a good dude and I suspect because of that he was up front with the Oilers and let them know he wouldn't re-sign after the season.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Good guy but we can't afford to overpay support players.

But where was this comment when the longterm Lucic contract was signed? I get the sentiment, but you were one of the biggest fan of that player and deal when it was done.

I was the biggest fan of Maroon being here and started the first Maroon appreciation thread after he had played 2 games here. I knew the player intimately and that he would excel here. To the degree I said the Ducks were nuts for letting him go.

The very unfortunate thing is that the player you wanted here resulted in Milan taking away potential cap space for better players, like Maroon, that we should rather see here.

Just what Supermassive said above. Too bad this org felt like it had a cap space $ tree when Milan bloated contract was available. This is the single worst contract the Oilers have signed in a dozen years. Many of us said it would be automatic buyout at the time.

This is an untradeable contract in only year 2.

meh, Maybe Maroon couldn't stay.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
But where was this comment when the longterm Lucic contract was signed? I get the sentiment, but you were one of the biggest fan of that player and deal when it was done.

I was the biggest fan of Maroon being here and started the first Maroon appreciation thread after he had played 2 games here. I knew the player intimately and that he would excel here. To the degree I said the Ducks were nuts for letting him go.

The very unfortunate thing is that the player you wanted here resulted in Milan taking away potential cap space for better players, like Maroon, that we should rather see here.

Just what Supermassive said above. Too bad this org felt like it had a cap space $ tree when Milan bloated contract was available. This is the single worst contract the Oilers have signed in a dozen years. Many of us said it would be automatic buyout at the time.

This is an untradeable contract in only year 2.

meh, Maybe Maroon couldn't stay.

I definitely expected Looch to be better than he was the 2nd half of last season. I like Maroon and outside of toughness, Patty flat out showed up Lucic in his time with us.

The fact remains that we throw money around willy nilly and it is biting us in the ass in a big way.

We overpay most support players!
We just ran out of money!

Truer words have never been said!

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I'm probably late on this but did anyone read the ESPN article on him and his decision?

Inside Patrick Maroon's decision to come home this season

It's pretty eye opening ...

- Maroon had big problems with partying too much and not eating right prior to coming to the Oilers.

- The contract he was looking for was $3 mill x 3 years.

- He was supposed to go to Kassian's wedding in Italy but was so freaked out over the UFA situation and not getting offers that he couldn't go.

- His son really loves Darnell Nurse apparently.

- His son wanted him to sign for more money instead of choosing St. Louis at less money, lol.

- Didn't want to leave Edmonton.

- Feels like he can score 20 without McDavid.

quote from Maroon:

"I know I'm a good hockey player. I'm tired of people saying I only scored 20 goals with Connor McDavid. I'm going to score 20 again, I know I am. I'm not asking for much. Not $4 or $5 million, I just want a two-year deal after this and see where it goes. But I'm betting on myself because I know I worked hard enough to deserve that kind of money."

I wouldn't mind signing him to a 3x2 contract after this season if it doesn't work out for him in St. Louis if that's the kind of money he's looking for. Dump Kassian.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Last season was probably his only chance for a big pay day. 3x3 would have set him up for life. At best he’ll be a 15/15 player in STL and settle for a 1-2 year deal for under 2 million a season this off season.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Last season was probably his only chance for a big pay day. 3x3 would have set him up for life. At best he’ll be a 15/15 player in STL and settle for a 1-2 year deal for under 2 million a season this off season.

I'd offer him 3 mill x 2 years no sweat. Drop Kassian.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Maroon has 29 goals in 234 career games away from the Oilers and McDavid.

That's basically a 10 goal scorer over a full 82 game season.

With the Oilers he scored 49 goals in 154 games... that's a 26 goal rate over a full 82 game season.

He shot 8.5% in his games away from the Oilers over his career.

With the Oilers he shot 14.5%

I think Maroon underestimates the effect McDavid had on his scoring totals.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I'd have time for the '15-16 and '16-17 versions of Maroon, not sure if he has it in him anymore at this point though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad