Marner's Playoffs

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
I know we all love Marner but IMO he had a pretty disappointing playoffs. He was neutralized offensively and, despite playing with Top 5 C Lord JT, his line was also leaking goals. They're all minuses.

On top of that, the PP (of which he's the QB) was abysmal and the PK even moreso, including in particular that faceoff goal in game 6.

Otherwise he was pretty solid and the two blocked shots were very good.

Thoughts?

Reactions: ElbowLander

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Subpar playoffs after a spectacular game 1 ... Definitely had the hardest test of his career against Boston's top line. I expect him to come in better next year.

Had a stellar postseason last year, so we know he can get it done. He just has to learn how to do it consistently against the best in the playoffs.

Reactions: GermanLeaf

Beyonder91

RASMUS
Oct 13, 2006
Toronto
I think he did well in the role Babcock put him in but that the end result was he wasn't utilized as well as he could have been.

Marner needs to be let loose... not kept on Babcock's leash

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Subpar. And that's being kind.

I'm hoping that it comes out that he was sick or injured to help provide context for his lackluster play. I was looking to him to be a main leader for the team this series after his fantastic season, unfortunately he didnt....

NinjaKick

life as a leafs fan
Dec 5, 2018
Toronto
aside from Freddy, Marner is my favorite Leaf... does everything... but the team as a whole looked almost... unprepared... hard to judge one player after that.. at least for me...
not about a single player tonight imo
and Kadri.... in the end, it hurt the team... I'm not even going to blame Kadri for being Kadri, Babcock needs to put him on a leash

REALTALK81

Pro Log Driver
Nov 16, 2009
Anyone notice that what ever line that gets put out against Bergeron's, it gets shut down? Last year it was Matthews and Marner shined. This year it was against Marner's line and Matthews came alive. Weird eh? Really wish Naz didn't make that bone headed play. It would have given us another scoring line that would have turned this series.

Reactions: CDN24 and authentic

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Subpar playoffs after a spectacular game 1 ... Definitely had the hardest test of his career against Boston's top line. I expect him to come in better next year.

Had a stellar postseason last year, so we know he can get it done. He just has to learn how to do it consistently against the best in the playoffs.

Yep, he needs to learn he can't cheat in the NHL as good as he is, especially in playoffs...him blowing coverage on Marchand going for a puck that wasn't there in game 6, which resulted in the 1-1 game typing goal after we had all the momentum was killer.

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
With all the criticism Matthews got last year, Marner deserves just as much.

Absolute trash outside of game 1. He can’t just always try to pass. Teams just cover the shooters on our power play because he’s no threat to shoot.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
I think he's been hurt since he blocked those shots.

Seriously he didn't skate remotely hard out there until this game and even still wasn't the same. It's too bad because those shots likely wouldn't have gone in anyway and we could've had a healthy Marner and won the series but he did the right thing in the moment.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Great in games 1 through 3. Kinda disappeared from Game 4 and on. Unfortunate but his line was going up against one of the best lines in the league and the premier shutdown centreman in the league.

I find it hard to give him any flack when he isn't the reason we lost. Special teams and coaching did us in.

Reactions: Ulysses31

Knightnight

Mar 18, 2014
True but when you pair him with JT you hope they can handle that match up but it's ok sometimes you lose your match up and need the rest of the team to save you.

Um you forgot the left winger. You can't play shorthanded against a skilled top line. There is your answer. Same happened to 34 last year when he was matched against Bostons top line. You need 3 skilled vs 3 skilled.

Lauro

Charlie Conacher
Jun 28, 2008
Berlin
Marner did quite alright against the 'best line in hockey'. They kind of neutralized each other, the problem was that Matthews didn't use his freedom enough like Mitch did last year. And without Kadri the 3rd line as well wasn't better than theirs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad