Marner's letter to the fans...

Status
Not open for further replies.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
When people aren’t blinded by the regular season stats in the summer time, it’s fairly obvious that Matthews is a couple of tiers above Marner as an impact player.

Marner sulked his way to a bad faith overpayment and now is doing damage control. But I think it’s going to be a long time before I can really cheer for him without a bit of cynicism.

When people aren’t blinded by the regular season stats in the summer time, it’s fairly obvious that Matthews is a couple of tiers above Marner as an impact player.

Marner sulked his way to a bad faith overpayment and now is doing damage control. But I think it’s going to be a long time before I can really cheer for him without a bit of cynicism. There’s something about his resentful attitude towards his status that I just didn’t like.

diju really have to post that twice:rolleyes:

Matthews runs around on the ice like a Malkin/Lemieux. Big man with hands, shot and can dominate and electrify a building. Marner is more like a point compiling Doug Gilmour without the snarl but obviously labours to get his offense. It’s not the same thing. What made him his money was an inflated stats line playing with Tavares.

Accurate.

you two need to get a room and watch Willie do curls inside the blueline

Dayjobdave

Apr 29, 2010
Now that Mitch is signed I’m going to go back to rooting for him. He’s a good kid with bad PR, but still a good kid.

Reactions: Ulysses31

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Enough ! Enough , already about contracts and how much players get paid and comparisons with respect to dollar amounts !!!!!!
Enough is enough !
He is signed , our core guys are signed with the exception of Reilly and possibly Fred ?
Enough already !!!
We have great young talented motivated young stars all locked up and signed for a while now
I’d rather be in our situation then having to go through this again in 2-3 years
98% of all of you would do the same in regards to da $$$$$
If you say otherwise , your effing lying
Enough is enough !
So bring it on !!!!
He took more so everyone else would get less for the next 6 years.

Reactions: axlrose87 and Al14

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Enough ! Enough , already about contracts and how much players get paid and comparisons with respect to dollar amounts !!!!!!
Enough is enough !
He is signed , our core guys are signed with the exception of Reilly and possibly Fred ?
Enough already !!!
We have great young talented motivated young stars all locked up and signed for a while now
I’d rather be in our situation then having to go through this again in 2-3 years
98% of all of you would do the same in regards to da $$$$$
If you say otherwise , your effing lying
Enough is enough !
So bring it on !!!!

What about the 2% that wouldn't? Are you OK with them saying what they think or would you rather the subject be completely off limits?

Reactions: Teeder Keon

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
He took more so everyone else would get less for the next 6 years.
That's just it, the me three took too much of the cap pie! Where is the cap room going to come from to re-sign Barrie, Muzzin, and Ceci if he works out?

What about Rielly and Andersen when they require new deals. Our Leafs can't even afford to acquire a much needed better backup goalie either.

So, Tavares supposedly left money on the table to sign with our Leafs instead of SJ. The greedy me three scooped it up and left nothing to sign some of our other very much needed players on D!

Reactions: TexanGuy

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
That's just it, the me three took too much of the cap pie! Where is the cap room going to come from to re-sign Barrie, Muzzin, and Ceci if he works out?

What about Rielly and Andersen when they require new deals. Our Leafs can't even afford to acquire a much needed better backup goalie either.

So, Tavares supposedly left money on the table to sign with our Leafs instead of SJ. The greedy me three scooped it up and left nothing to sign some of our other very much needed players on D!

The Tavares money definitely threw the cap structure out of whack for us.

At the same time, what really hurt the Leafs was the horrible Jack Eichel contract.

Reactions: shortfuze

A1LeafNation

Oct 17, 2010

Nylander looks like a steal compared to the recent contracts.

A1LeafNation

Oct 17, 2010
In my books, Nylander is overpaid by at least $1.0M. That $1.0M woukd have helped sign a decent backup goalie.
All his equivalents got 6m+ on three year deals, the Nylander contract was a win for Dubas/Leafs.

Matthews was questionable, Marners was just bad for a winger.

Reactions: Willchel Marlynder

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
The Tavares money definitely threw the cap structure out of whack for us.

At the same time, what really hurt the Leafs was the horrible Jack Eichel contract.
Maybe Matthews, Marner, and Nylander should demand a trade to Buffalo then! ;)

A great place to play hockey with a wonderful teammate in Eichel.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
All his equivalents got 6m+ on three year deals, the Nylander contract was a win for Dubas/Leafs.

Matthews was questionable, Marners was just bad for a winger.
Unless Nylander scores 30 goals and 60 assists consistently, I still maintain he is overpaid. JMHO.

Last edited:

Raym11

Oct 6, 2009
Matthews term is ridiculous for the amount asked.

Having never won a scoring title, and being injury prone. His pay is all about potential rather then for success achieved.

His contract would be the perfect amount if, like McDavid, he showed commitment to the team by signing to an 8 year 11.6 mil AAV.

Do not forgive that. There are players in other markets who have actually won scoring titles that didn't bend their club over a barrel to get the slightest of commitments.

what dont you find about the 11+ million a year for only 5 years, for a player who has broke 70 points once and has clear effort issues, good?

Contract is a steal!

EN4CER

Burn the Boats
Apr 8, 2013
Toronto
Mitch, Nylander, and Matthews screwed us on term and screwed us on $$.

The tired old argument, "why should one take less than others", doesnt work.
in real life everyone makes less than others. I can guarantee you that there is someone out there that does a similar job as I do, and makes more money. That is the case for 99.99% of all people. Only one person makes the most in their job. Everybody else makes less.

To say that he has to make more than everyone else to be fair, is ridiculous. Marner got the third highest signing while being an RFA in NHL history: after McDavid and Matthews.
Why?

What's wrong with it if he made $8.3 for 8 years. That puts him in to 30 players in the league. That is a LOT of money. And that leaves the team with breathing room. These three players could have easily taken $5M less combined FOR EIGHT YEAR TERMS and would still be some of the top paid players in the league and have considerably very good contracts.

But no. They took their contracts from reasonable levels to too-much and then to F U levels.

If these three guys took just little bit less that would have helps us sign a better backup goalie, which can help the team go further in the season and the playoffs.

I find the selfishness and greediness of these kids disgusting.

I only want to see them do well because I want the leafs to win.

And now he're reading a letter telling us he likes how "diverse" the fans are. what is that?

You sir nailed it on the head. Absolutely correct

Reactions: willmma and Al14

BTP

Apr 28, 2013
I dont give a shit. Not my money.

Enjoy the games and hope for a cup. Nothing else you can do. Stop giving yourselves grey hair.

EN4CER

Burn the Boats
Apr 8, 2013
Toronto
This was embarrassing to watch. It's funny. If he took $9m (which is basically his market value), he would have been looked at as a selfless team leader. For a million more after-tax income, he has soiled his rep. If they win a cup, it won't matter. If we don't, he's going to get a ton of the related criticism.

I personally would have tried to lock in to something that consensus would have seen as a home-team discount. Mitch went for absolute top-dollar. Hope it ends up being worth it for him and us.

I agree. If he was SMART he would have said make it 9.3 to look classy and fair. Nope, greed got the best of him and we see through the fake crap.

axlrose87

Jul 13, 2018
You'd rather trade the player who led the team in points last year and helped guys like JT and Hyman set career highs.

All this because you perceive he is making too much money. Yet, Dubas was the one to pay him.

Welp, good thing you'll never be a GM.
I think he and his family are toxic.
He brings a feeling of selfishness and greed to the leafs.
He knows that or he wouldn’t have bothered with with the pathetic video.
He’s a great player. I would just prefer the assets he would command rather then him

Reactions: EN4CER and Al14

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
The garbage Marner PR tour continues I see.

Whoever is trying to coordinate this image rehab campaign really needs to be fired because it is completely transparent and fake.

Reactions: EN4CER and Al14

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
While I agree that this was cringe/corny and a bad idea, I don't get why fans would hate the kid all of a sudden. It shows a complete lack of understanding for what pro sports - a business. People expect the players to take discounts and cater to the team/fanbase yet the teams and franchises who employ them would NEVER do that, nor is it expected of them by the fanbase. It's hypocrisy, really. Mitch comes out a massive winner in his contract negotiations, yet he is hated for this? He squeezed the most money out of his employer he could have and it's more impressive to me than worthy of hatred. Again, these employers give no ****s for the players and will go to the ends of the Earth to put the franchise and its bottom line over the players every day and twice on Sundays. Good for Mitch. I'm not going to use the business side of the game to fuel my feelings for the kid - his play is the only thing that should do that for me/fans.

People don't like him because all of his comps this summer signed much more team favorable deals. And you can call it a business all you want but it is also a cap league so every dollar he takes is a dollar less to spend on patching other holes. For example, if he signed the Rantanen deal maybe we wouldn't have any issue keeping Barrie AND Muzzin next year.

If you want to say it is a business, fine. Just come out and say you want to maximize your prime earning years and call a spade a spade. But don't hold out for a ludicrous contract and try to pretend you love the city, fans and team so much you would do anything for them.

Ever hear the expression don't piss on me and tell me its raining?

horner

May 22, 2007
Marner had 53 pts in his last 52 games two seasons ago playing with guys like JVR,bozak, Kadri. I'm quite confident Marner would have been a ppg player last year without JT.
it's amazing the stats that people don't read.
some people think there is no grouth in Marners game.
he worked on his game over the summer like Mathews .
for those who don't appreciate him , I hate to say this but he is only going to get better .
like Mathews .
can we not like two players.
man how people forget the garbage players we have had for years and years.

TheGreatOne11

Jun 29, 2009
Toronto
I'm going to call it right now, I believe as this team grows and wins a cup and enjoys being brothers together.

That Marner AND Matthew's when their contracts are up are not going to ask for a raise. They're going to stick to the money they have now so that the team will be more flexible going forward.

They will see what these contracts did to the team and how there friends had to leave because there was not enough cap and they will grow as human beings and stay at the same cap hit.

If I'm wrong I'm wrong, but that's what I believe will happen. They will grow up, realize their mistakes and stick together for the betterment of the team.

RickyVaive

Jul 6, 2013
Yes, all three of the young guns are overpaid by about $1 mil. Having an extra $3 mil for the cap would be awesome. But it's done. The Leafs look awesome and they're great to watch. We finally have a team that doesn't have glaring weaknesses but all we can do is rummage through the dustbin of "shoulda, coulda, wouldas" of contract negotiations.
"vivere in momento"

Enjoy the game tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad