Tkachuk or Marner?

• Total voters

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Ah great, the monthly poll.

Marner >= Tkachuk >> Nylander.

I take Tkachuk over Marner because 1) Biased to see Tkachuk every game, 2) drives any line he's on and 3) pest/gritty player.

Nothing against Marner as he will always be the player with more points, I just value Tkachuk's grittiness, two way play, and being a freakin' pest to play against.

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome
Matthews is hurt. Also only 10 games into the season.

And yeah, its Marner AINEC.

Matthews was not hurt 2 days ago. It’s comical that you made that comment. Too McDavid less than 10 games to catch up. Now obviously Matthews doesn’t stand a chance regardless of his injury. Hate to see a player hurt so I hope it’s not a serious injury.

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome
Marner plays with better players and doesn't bring the other elements that Tkachuk brings.
Overall they are both underrated players in the league. Tkachuk moreso because people don’t think he’s skillful.

I voted Chucky because he fits the Flames needs perfectly.

Mar 26, 2010
Matthews was not hurt 2 days ago. It’s comical that you made that comment. Too McDavid less than 10 games to catch up. Now obviously Matthews doesn’t stand a chance regardless of his injury. Hate to see a player hurt so I hope it’s not a serious injury.
BS.

Like I said, it is a 82 game season. Lots of hockey still.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Overall they are both underrated players in the league. Tkachuk moreso because people don’t think he’s skillful.

I voted Chucky because he fits the Flames needs perfectly.

Marner is in no way underrated. I get what your trying to say but that's just false. Everyone knows how good he is

Mar 26, 2010
Marner is in no way underrated. I get what your trying to say but that's just false. Everyone knows how good he is
Leaf haters will say anything to take a knock on Marner.

I actually like Tkachuk, but Marner is way way better. The skill level is not the same.

Reactions: DriveFor9th

FerklundCGY

Jul 3, 2017
Matthew Tkachuk:

CF%: 59.02%
FF%: 57.21%
CF% Rel: 9.0%
FF% Rel: 10.0%
Scoring Chances For%: 54.32%
On-Ice Shooting %: 7.32%

Mitch Marner:

CF%: 50.14%
FF%: 49.62%
CF% Rel: -0.8%
FF% Rel: 0.4%
Scoring Chances For%: 52.75%
On-Ice Shooting Percentage: 13.83%

As you can clearly see, Tkachuk has been MUCH more dominant 5v5 than Marner despite Tkachuk's most common linemates being Backlund and Frolik while Marner's most common linemates are Tavares and Hyman.

Tkachuk also only has 2 less points than Marner in the same amount of games played. While Marner has more 5v5 points, his oiSH% is almost 2x higher than Tkachuk's, which will inevitably normalize as the season goes on as the Flames are generating just as many, if not more scoring chances with Tkachuk on the ice as the Leafs are generating with Marner on the ice despite playing with an incredible talent in Tavares.

None of this even includes how much better Tkachuk is at other aspects of the game: his ability to draw penalties better than anyone in the NHL, his ability to throw players off their game with his agitation, his intangibles, etc..

People saying Marner AINEC are out to lunch. People who think Marner is better should be trying to bring evidence to the table, rather than talking without anything backing them up.

Reactions: JurassicTunga

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Leaf haters will say anything to take a knock on Marner.

I actually like Tkachuk, but Marner is way way better. The skill level is not the same.

If your talking about who would excel more at a skills competition, sure. If we talk about whose more impactful of winning games, then no. They are same in value.

Mar 26, 2010
If your talking about who would excel more at a skills competition, sure. If we talk about whose more impactful of winning games, then no. They are same in value.
Wow really? You have not seen Marner play have you?

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada
This is a good example of what leafs fans probably mean when they say this board is full of leaf haters...

I'm the farthest thing from a Leafs fan and I have greatly enjoyed watching the team fail over the years as a Red Wings fan.

However this isn't really that close....Tkachuk is a fantastic player but Marner is an absolute game breaking talent and is arguably the best player on the Leafs (I personally like him more than Matthews). Tkachuk is a great talent, points-wise he'll probably put up 70-80 throughout his career and be a wrecking ball out there physically. But if you've got the game on the line and need a player to step up and take over a game? I take Mitch 11/10 times and don't think twice.

Last edited:

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
Tkachuk is one of those players that will haunt the Canucks for a loong time

but gotta go with Marner because he's going to be a premier point producer (not that Tkachuk won't)

Luminiferous

Oct 11, 2018
Marner and Nylander>Tkachuk.

A better and fair poll, would be Kadri vs Tkachuk.

Last edited:

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Love the AINEC. The people who haven't seen one play this season.
This is really close. Both guys are absolute game breakers. Really depends on who you want at the end of the day.

If you want the higher pure skill, it's Marner. If you want the bigger & stronger player, better defensive player, better possession player; it's Tkachuk,

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
Votes are 36 to 12 once you remove the Leaf fans who voted, didn't expect it to be that big of a landslide tbh.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad