Player Discussion Marner

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

joepeps

Jan 2, 2004
Toronto
Visit site
Tomas Kaberle? He hand picked Boston to be his next destination if I remember it correctly.
well Burkie came out about this and said his agent said no, he has a no trade clause...

Burkie said, well I didn't give him that and either you give us a list or your client will be sitting in the press box all year.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: PromisedLand

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
You’re saying if he wants to stay and the Leafs don’t offer him a contract that is the same as the Tavares situation?
It’s completely opposite.

This board isn’t an accurate representation of the fanbase IMO
That’s not what I said. I said if they ask him to waive and he refuses, then walks UFA.

If that wasn’t the way it was interpreted, that’s what I meant.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Different situation. He was 37 at the time and didn’t even finish the 2 year contract in Vancouver retiring the next year. The team was blowing itself up, not trying to win anything. Even then he still got some animosity at the time.
Well we needed picks… anyway the NPS vote and comments must have you perplexed. As has been stated the people here are more militant than the people who will actually be at the game.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Sundin took some heat at the time. Now everything is good but at the time people were mad. Then he promised he would never sign with a team mid season and signed with the Canucks. That caused a huge up roar with fans.
Yeah not everything was wine and roses with Sundin. Clark got traded and is still loved. Big difference from walking and getting traded.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Yeah not everything was wine and roses with Sundin. Clark got traded and is still loved. Big difference from walking and getting traded.
I don't think MM will be hated even if he walks next season or waive and move this summer. He has not done anything for Leafsnation to hate him. Unless he said no to a trade to Oilers for McD or the Avs for Makar. Then I will be the first one to boo him, lol. Thats the only way MM will be hated, if he declines to waive to a team offering a great package for the Leafs.
Not saying he has to waive as he got every rights not to, but we are talking about the perception of fans.

Reactions: arso40

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
That’s not what I said. I said if they ask him to waive and he refuses, then walks UFA.

If that wasn’t the way it was interpreted, that’s what I meant.
You can’t fault him for walking if they don’t offer him a contract. Does he have to retire to save face?

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
You can’t fault him for walking if they don’t offer him a contract. Does he have to retire to save face?
Me personally, no. I can’t very well want him traded and get mad if he walks. I’m just saying, with media spins, fanbase, etc. it could be ugly for awhile.
When we talk about should he waive or not (which is what I’m talking about), if he is approached, it’s probably in his best interest. Why would he want to stay and go through that? Whether you believe it it not.

Reactions: 57 Years No Cup

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
For the record, I have no problem with Marner suggesting players here are treated like overlords.

Like it or not, it is true.

Reactions: Kazparov

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
Pretty much this. Guaranteed he is still welcomed and cheered when his new team comes in if he moves on through a trade the Leafs asked him to agree too.

Refuse and leave UFA and he will make Tavares look like the most popular guy on Long Island.
Well since marner has said and done absolutely everything you could possible say or do to make a fan base hate you, I fully expect he will not waive his NMC and sign with a new team next summer and we get nothing lol.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Well since marner has said and done absolutely everything you could possible say or do to make a fan base hate you, I fully expect he will not waive his NMC and sign with a new team next summer and we get nothing lol.
From MM's perspective, I don't think he has confidence to bet on himself to perform in the playoffs to get the 100mil contract. As he just tried and failed this past playoffs.
From Shanny's perspective, if he trades MM, and even if the Leafs missed out on playoffs, he could use the excuse of retooling the team and it takes another year or two.....MLSE might buy it or might not.
But, if Shanny's bring back the core and failed again(first round), he can't use the excuse, since both MM and JT are off the books, I can use the money to retool, as MLSE probably would rather have someone else to use that 22mil to retool.

I said it after that press conf. They are making Shanny stays to be the bad guy of the MGT. Someone to trade away the Capt and MM, and if goes sideway, he will take the fall. IF it goes well, Tre will take the credits. Also in the future when Tre tries to recruit UFAs, all he needs to do is say Shanny was the one who ruthlessly demanded MM and JT to waive.....

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
From MM's perspective, I don't think he has confidence to bet on himself to perform in the playoffs to get the 100mil contract. As he just tried and failed this past playoffs.
From Shanny's perspective, if he trades MM, and even if the Leafs missed out on playoffs, he could use the excuse of retooling the team and it takes another year or two.....MLSE might buy it or might not.
But, if Shanny's bring back the core and failed again(first round), he can't use the excuse, since both MM and JT are off the books, I can use the money to retool, as MLSE probably would rather have someone else to use that 22mil to retool.

I said it after that press conf. They are making Shanny stays to be the bad guy of the MGT. Someone to trade away the Capt and MM, and if goes sideway, he will take the fall. IF it goes well, Tre will take the credits. Also in the future when Tre tries to recruit UFAs, all he needs to do is say Shanny was the one who ruthlessly demanded MM and JT to waive.....
Yes , I fully expect shanny to not be the president come the 25/26 season

sunstersun

May 12, 2017
I don't think Marner will walk himself into FA. That's a lot of pressure on him. There's gonna be laser focus on the postseason and his regular season magic isn't gonna fly. If he gets 105 points, but stinks it up again in the postseason, it's not gonna mean much.

Another team would probably give him right now Nylander's contract +1, so he's gonna take it.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I don't think MM will be hated even if he walks next season or waive and move this summer. He has not done anything for Leafsnation to hate him. Unless he said no to a trade to Oilers for McD or the Avs for Makar. Then I will be the first one to boo him, lol. Thats the only way MM will be hated, if he declines to waive to a team offering a great package for the Leafs.
Not saying he has to waive as he got every rights not to, but we are talking about the perception of fans.

Post 2-4 Long weekend reps. drinking, its a doozie though.

He has done plenty. From his media awkwardness to the contract negotiations in hindsight. Once he is gone they are going to ruin this guy here, ruined forever and not without good reason. His made for Toronto image that he and his father and the friends in the media FABRICATED can not fix the current contract vs lack of performance.

Go read back if you want. I called MM out for what he really is right off the bat. Feel free to read my MM comments and Dubas comments. It wasn't hard to see or predict the future with both. I even said WN would develop into a much better player.

Sounds like some psychic bs right? No. Dubas had wimpy character and was pushing wimpy hockey. MM is a wimpy whiney awkward kid that wasn't fast and plays perimeter bs kid hockey with fancy passes.

Well. Wimps don't win at a rough sport and GMs and Coaches that push it are losers off the hop. So hire or draft wimps and get loser results.

Now I wait for NuHocky Marnerites and Dubasites to bang pots and pans in defense.

Add. Shanahan and his probable midlife crisis hockey mindset needs to go as well. I bet he has a red sports car and his wife painted his house pink.

Last edited:

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I think hate's a really strong word. I don't think I've ever hated anyone in pro sports and I don't see myself ever hating Marner. That said, if he declines to waive his NMC to a team offering us a great package, I will be very unhappy with him. And to be clear, by great package I mean pretty much anything.

I even feel a bit bad for him. I think he wants to win here so bad but he just doesn't know how to do it. Oh well, I imagine being filthy rich will help him live down the fact that he won't be going down in history as the hometown hero he was hoping to be. And the fact that he's not so bright should help as well, he probably figures that the fact that he hasn't been able to accomplish what he'd hoped to accomplish in Toronto isn't on him anyway.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Canuck fan has same thoughts on EP40 as what many Leafs fans have been saying about Marner. I'd still rather have EP40. I saw him actually take the body a few times.

IF YOU DEMAND THE "BIG" CONTRACT AND YOU DON'T ACCEPT A HOMETOWN DISCOUNT THEN YOU BETTER STEP UP. PERIOD.

He put this pressure on himself and he is the 5th highest paid player in the NHL.

Niagara Bill

Oct 11, 2021
The NHL network is reporting Mitchy would waive no trade to go to Nashville, Ducks or Sharks.
They also have few cap restrictions, meaning they have ability to pay him a long term contract.
Who knows if any real truth in report, since it did not come from Muskoka but the money angle works.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
The NHL network is reporting Mitchy would waive no trade to go to Nashville, Ducks or Sharks.
They also have few cap restrictions, meaning they have ability to pay him a long term contract.
Who knows if any real truth in report, since it did not come from Muskoka but the money angle works.
Pretty strange list but cool story if it's true.

Since this is the "daily repetition" thread, I guess I'll say it one more time - I hope Marner is traded, and the sooner the better.

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
I believe those cities are only speculation as they have a lot of cap space, not that Marner is willing or has any interest in any of those teams.
Sadly, none of them have a decent RHD (young or close prospect) to include in a deal, and from Nashville, I'd Demand Askarov!!

Reactions: Niagara Bill

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
So somehow, a reporter got information about which teams Marner would waive for? Sports reporters are so full of shit.

Reactions: Confucius

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad