Player Discussion Marner

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Q: Is there an AAV that people would sign Marner ? (assume 8 year contract).

?

I'm moving on.
I guess I'd sign for 7 with full trade rights.

Definitely a guy who can play well with the open ice of regular season hockey.

Reactions: Aashir Mallik

MCR74

Nov 11, 2022
He would be in for an awakening. Suddenly no special treatment. Treated like just one of the rest of the team. It's what he needs, but I don't think it's what he wants. No more "core 4" or "me and Auston.." talk.

"Try getting off your lazy ass during the playoffs, maybe venture into a corner for once in your life. You make me sick".

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
"Try getting off your lazy ass during the playoffs, maybe venture into a corner for once in your life. You make me sick".
Yup, Trotz isn't going to spare his feelings like Keefe. He will say it how it is in front of the media.

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada

?

I'm moving on.

8 would be fine. No chance he takes a near 3mil haircut on his next contract though; those Marners love their money more than anything.

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
Every summer there are a dozen or more UFA’s, they all let their contracts expire. It’s no big taboo and William sat home for 1/2 a season. Lol
I’m prepared to let him walk for nothing if need be but if they can put a deal together and he refuses and that gets out it will be rough

l'd love to see Torts go at it with him.
Me to and you won’t see Torts in the media the next day walking back stern comments

?

I'm moving on.

I’m not sure I even want him on the team. He has become a major distraction but if we had to 8 with no protection

MCR74

Nov 11, 2022
I’m prepared to let him walk for nothing if need be but if they can put a deal together and he refuses and that gets out it will be rough

Me to and you won’t see Torts in the media the next day walking back stern comments

If Marner walks, so be it. l'm past caring. Some sucker may or may not pay his asking price, but the Leafs have no business giving him a raise.

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019

?

I'm moving on.

This. And that's not even considering he is on the worse RFA contract in league history.

If he took 7M now he still averaged more than he should get over the length of these two contracts. Selke nomination as winger taking no faceoffs, being compared to repeat Selke winner and the best face off man-ever? Oh yeah and Bergy gave Bruins home town discount -being from different country never making $7M.

He is elite on PK, yet our PK is close to the basement of this league.. What are we losing trading Marner?

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Assuming something attractive about taxes, that was the best contract Luke Schenn has had offered to him since 2015.

I agree, and I understand why he took the deal Nashville offered him. They wouldn't be interested in him if they didn't think they are within their window to win now...he's an established veteran with good pedigree and his age is within Nashville's attempt to win something big in the next few years...same with O'Reilly.

Reactions: GreatDayforHockey

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I don't agree that Nashville is not in a win now mode. They have aging core players like Josi and Forsberg with term who wants to win, and signed O'Reilly and Schenn end of last season. How did Trotz convince both O'Reilly and Schenn to sign there if they are not in a win now mode? They are certainly not rebuilding.

Marner is a nice fit in Nashville.
She really didn’t think he’s a good fit, nor do I. Unless he come really cheap and is willing to take less or the same as Josi. Even then, I hope they pass.

MCR74

Nov 11, 2022

?

I'm moving on.

Keep going down.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
There is no pt to keep Marner and get nothing and there are some nice dmen to be had in free agency. He has no reason to stay.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
I don't agree that Nashville is not in a win now mode. They have aging core players like Josi and Forsberg with term who wants to win, and signed O'Reilly and Schenn end of last season. How did Trotz convince both O'Reilly and Schenn to sign there if they are not in a win now mode? They are certainly not rebuilding.

Marner is a nice fit in Nashville.
Nashville'a rebuilding should be done after next years draft. We've drafted a lot of players, traded a lot of vets and have a lot of high picks left.

We needed vet leadership and ROR was guaranteed the 1C position here.

Reactions: Nineteen67

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad