Player Discussion Marner Talk - Fresh, insightful comments are welcome

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MCR74

Nov 11, 2022
No retention right? The full AAV. What GM is crazy enough to take that on? Then the $14M that his dad wants for the extension.

The sucker GM who takes this on better be aware that Paul will be negotiating Mitch's next deal. Gotta keep it in the family y'know.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
He didn’t really.

He pressured a newbie GM to sign a deal his player couldn’t live up to.

Ferris better know that Mitch can’t mentally handle pressure. The pressure if Marner is still on the roster will be endless. His client will perform poorly and degrade his long term value. Everyone knows it’s time to move on.
Ferris is a loud talking big mouth ..
He didn’t really.

He pressured a newbie GM to sign a deal his player couldn’t live up to.

Ferris better know that Mitch can’t mentally handle pressure. The pressure if Marner is still on the roster will be endless. His client will perform poorly and degrade his long term value. Everyone knows it’s time to move on.

The sucker GM who takes this on better be aware that Paul will be negotiating Mitch's next deal. Gotta keep it in the family y'know.
Another reason why trading Mitch is gonna be difficult .. omg one can only take Paul for very short stints of time .. Ferris drank some beer and scotch in our clubhouse a couple weeks back on an invite from Hall .. what a loud mouth

thewave

Jun 17, 2011

Ferris does well. He gets his 4% and everyone is happy. Paul will likely charge fees for running the foundation etc.

ITM

Out on the front line, don't worry I'll be fine...
Jan 26, 2012
Somewhat related question:

I read in an article that's a couple of months old, a fact I think most are aware of: That Marner is Cowan's childhood idol.

I want to for the sake of keeping a throughline of genuine concern for the club and reiterate from posts I've made complaining about Marner, that: I wanted him at the draft, and I thought he was developing nicely under Babcock until his big contract and that I remember Marner being a much more courageous player in junior...not unlike Cowan.

For those that have actually watched both play, what are the similarities and differences?

And a second question
(emphasis on maintaining a ruthless scrupulosity towards our club's best interests before and while we think about what we can and should do with Marner)

Do we see a scenario in which Marner regains his form because of Cowan?

Reactions: thewave

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON

Mitch Marner has been the talk of the town in recent days after another poor playoff performance and a probable outlandish new contract request incoming. While he's a star, he seems like the obvious choice for a trade.

Rielly on the table is interesting. I think he's a fine number 2

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Somewhat related question:

I read in an article that's a couple of months old, a fact I think most are aware of: That Marner is Cowan's childhood idol.

I want to for the sake of keeping a throughline of genuine concern for the club and reiterate from posts I've made complaining about Marner, that: I wanted him at the draft, and I thought he was developing nicely under Babcock until his big contract and that I remember Marner being a much more courageous player in junior...not unlike Cowan.

For those that have actually watched both play, what are the similarities and differences?

And a second question
(emphasis on maintaining a ruthless scrupulosity towards our club's best interests before and while we think about what we can and should do with Marner)

Do we see a scenario in which Marner regains his form because of Cowan?

I am so sorry. Little Mitchy isnt going to turn it around no more.

Reactions: 57 Years No Cup

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
He's not. Outside of skating he's pretty meh and that's declining, which will will be ugly in a couple years.
Not many #3 dmen who put up 60 points. Still skates quite well, makes a good first pass. He has his warts but that's what's keeping him from being a true #1. Mo is a number 3 on teams that have their backend built like the Leafs have their forwards.

Reactions: arso40

ITM

Out on the front line, don't worry I'll be fine...
Jan 26, 2012
I am so sorry. Little Mitchy isnt going to turn it around no more.
Oh I'm right there with you.

I had my signature read: "Make Mine Marner" before his draft. Could go into further detail about the obfuscation employed by Hunter on a radio show gushing about Strome that Arizona seemed to take hook, line and sinker...

Gotta ask the questions that need to be asked though.

It's a tough position, but...better to head into it rather than run from it.

Mar 26, 2010
columbus, seattle, utah, chicago to name a few.....and he aint getting 14 anywhere
Ok, the return will be garbage. Nothing of value coming back.

His dad wants $14M a season reportedly.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Some laughed at that two seasons ago. Tage did not have a good year last year but at his cap hit for the next 6 years I doubt Sabres do that. Tre needs to find a diamond in the rough when he deals Marner.

Said it before, I'd look to Utah who have many young up and comers. If only we could draft and develop like the Dallas Stars. No tax state and one hell of roster. They even found a competant goalie. Who does that work. LOL.

Seriously, who are the best dman and goalie this team has drafted since 1967? Pretty much says it all.
You seem to think Tre has some choice in the whole matter.

Oh it will be our GM. Lmao!

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Has he been moved yet?

I remember playing for the Leafs was a thing of honor. Guess I am old school
They should have left him and Tavares in Boston

Really wanted to ilke this guy. A home grown kid, who can play

My rule of thumb with the Leafs is very simple. If we can trade Wendal Clark, we can trade you

Time to move on.

Trade him to any team interested, get some cap space, get some options via free agency. or try internal players.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
All these years I am still in disbelief this guy took 10.9 M on the cap. Like why? How? Such a ridiculous contract. Especially when you already have 2 other forwards making at least 11M, Dubas is a POS.
He didn't take, it was given to him. He would have taken 8.5x8 but Dubas was too clever to go for that.

MCR74

Nov 11, 2022
Ferris is a loud talking big mouth ..

Another reason why trading Mitch is gonna be difficult .. omg one can only take Paul for very short stints of time .. Ferris drank some beer and scotch in our clubhouse a couple weeks back on an invite from Hall .. what a loud mouth

Yeah, I imagine Ferris is probably a nuisance. You should told him that Marner and his idiot father can kiss your ass.:D Couple him with Mitch and Paul, and you have the trio of misery.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
He didn't take, it was given to him. He would have taken 8.5x8 but Dubas was too clever to go for that.

Yep. It is what it is. A stupid manager caused this guy a lot of grief because most of us wouldn't scrutinize him so bad.

8.5m as is doesn't sound bad at all. Even today as he performs.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
David Pagnotta on Leafs Nation Pod:

On Marner:
  • Says that he's spoken to people in Marner's inner circle (not his friends), who have said that there may be an appetite to consider waiving the No Move, depending on the market & scenario.
  • Believes Nashville has told the Leafs that if they do consider moving Marner, to give them a call.
  • Thinks there is a primary fit with Nashville and Toronto - both Marner and Saros have 1 year to go on their deals.
  • Thinks the draft & July 1st is an unofficial deadline for lots of managers and teams - lots of budgets & capspace get allocated & used up in that window
  • A lot of teams start using the period around the conference final to figure out their offseason gameplan. That's where discussions start to usually pick up

On coaching front:
  • Still thinks Berube is the front runner.
  • If shit hits the fan in Carolina, Brind'Amour will be a target for a lot of teams. Still thinks Berube is top of the Leafs list
  • Was expecting to hear more by middle of this week on what teams, not just the Leafs, were doing with their coaching - mentions LA, Devils, Jets, Seattle, San Jose.
  • Thinks a lot of Berube's discussions with teams, including the Leafs, revolve around his staff and what the rest of his bench will look like (assuming he means whether Berube picks his own staff vs if the team provides their own staff)
  • Despite Treliving saying on Friday that the Leafs will go through a "thorough" process, still expects this to be a quick one
  • Thinks Todd McLellan is in the mix, but not necessarily the number 2 candidate behind Berube. Says there are other candidates that are being discussed, but he doesn't quite know who.
  • From a Toronto perspective - the mandate is bringing in someone with experience, like Todd. Whatever the next coaching gig Todd gets, will likely be his last. So he will want the best opportunity to win so he goes out on top.
  • Thinks we will get coaching clarity on at least one NHL coaching job around the league within the next few days, and then the dominos will fall from there.
  • Doesn't think all the Leafs assistant coaches will be back (Boucher, etc). Believes Berube has one individual who has NHL coaching experience in the league recently, who he wants to bring with him wherever he goes.
  • Thinks whether he gets that assistant/associate, will determine who remains on the current staff - Boucher, Malholtra, etc. Thinks Toronto will be open to that.
On Leafs Free Agent targets:
  • Thinks Treliving will "cream all over" Zadorov if he hits the open market.
  • Treliving tried very aggressively to get Zadorov from Calgary earlier in the year before the Vancouver trade, and was very pissed off when he wasn't able to land him.
  • Thinks Viktor Arvidsson from LA is a guy they will closely look at - energy guy, brings a lot to the table, not afraid to muck things up and go into the corners, plus has offensive element and has no issues keeping up with play. Thinks he will go to open market, and Toronto will look closely
  • Fits elements that Treliving highlighted on Friday re. Arvidsson. Does the "unsexy things"
  • Think the new coach, whoever it may be, will also dictate who they end up chasing in free agency.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
If Willy is made out of glass, ship him out too then. I guess we have to rebuild again? Shanahan and Dubas f***ed us fans over. Everyone was talking about when are the Leafs going to win but not only win but how many. It sucks. Wasted years, when we didn't need JT. It is what it is. It's time to do a major overhaul. First priorty is a new coach then a goalie. Start from there.
It happened once, so that poster is calling it a 'recurring theme'?

He missed the first three playoff games of his career, still managed to lead the team in goals (with as many as the three highest paid players combined) and was the best skater on the ice in at least half the games he played.

Sure - glass, dump him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad