Better player

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Give me Draisaitl.

Big two way C. Can produce with or without McDavid. Has one of the best backhand passes in the league and a great shot (unlike Marner's muffin).

Expect him to zip by Marner in points here rather quickly while bringing a much better 200ft all around game to the table.

But.... Marner is a great defensive player....

Drai doesn’t bring a much better 200ft all around game

Last edited:
Reactions: Max Money

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
Conclusion: there are more Leaf fans than Edmonton fans on HF Boards.

In all reality, I think they are both pretty much equal. Completely different players in the way they play, although the most elite trait of both is probably their passing. Even then, Drai is very good at FO, can play physically along the boards and keep possession (one thing that highly benefits McDavid which is why he loves playing with Drai), and also has a better shot. Marner is probably more explosive offensively, creative, dynamic etc. Can't go wrong with either and I'm not surprised at all either fan base is going with their guy. The only thing that bugs me is you don't see many Oiler fans saying "Drai AINEC" but pretty much every Leaf fan that has commented has said "Marner not close, this is a joke". That's a very weird take to have considering the production each of them have had so far in their careers. It's not like Marner plays with bums. If Drai centered his own line on the Leafs or played wing with Tavares I highly doubt his numbers would look much different than they do with McDavid. The reality of the situation is whenever Drai has centered his own line his wingers have looked like Chiasson, Lucic, Cagguila, Reider etc. McDavid was the one that got to play with RNH, not Drai. Yes that is our own fault (well mostly Chia's) but you can't ignore that fact.

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
Conclusion: there are more Leaf fans than Edmonton fans on HF Boards.

In all reality, I think they are both pretty much equal. Completely different players in the way they play, although the most elite trait of both is probably their passing. Even then, Drai is very good at FO, can play physically along the boards and keep possession (one thing that highly benefits McDavid which is why he loves playing with Drai), and also has a better shot. Marner is probably more explosive offensively, creative, dynamic etc. Can't go wrong with either and I'm not surprised at all either fan base is going with their guy. The only thing that bugs me is you don't see many Oiler fans saying "Drai AINEC" but pretty much every Leaf fan that has commented has said "Marner not close, this is a joke". That's a very weird take to have considering the production each of them have had so far in their careers. It's not like Marner plays with bums. If Drai centered his own line on the Leafs or played wing with Tavares I highly doubt his numbers would look much different than they do with McDavid. The reality of the situation is whenever Drai has centered his own line his wingers have looked like Chiasson, Lucic, Cagguila, Reider etc. McDavid was the one that got to play with RNH, not Drai. Yes that is our own fault (well mostly Chia's) but you can't ignore that fact.
So when an Oilers player wins a poll against a player on a team with less fans on HF we can say that's the reason why?

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
So two months ago when Draisaitl won this exact poll the leaf fans were sleeping?

If it’s only about the size of the fanbase here, why didn’t it effect the last poll.

Maybe at this point more people feel Marner is better.

I’m not a fan of either team. I watch both teams play as much as I can.

Reactions: Sundinisagod

Jan 21, 2018
Marner is a better winger than Drai so I pick him.

If Drai ever sticks at C for a full season then he's my pick.

Ctrain2k

Dec 3, 2016
Why is Drai playing with McDavid a knock, but Marner playing with, Tavares, Matthews, Nylander, Rielly, Marleau etc. Not brought up?

Reactions: Former Referee 68

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Why is Drai playing with McDavid a knock, but Marner playing with, Tavares, Matthews, Nylander, Rielly, Marleau etc. Not brought up?
Well, previously he never played with any of those guys for a significant period of time outside of Marleau and Rielly. Draisaitl's most common linemate over the last 2 and 1/4 years is McDavid. Marner played almost exclusively with JVR-Bozak, and then with Marleau-Kadri. Nylander and Matthews were also almost always on a separate PP. This year he got JT on his line.

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
At least with Draisatl when he's playing with McDavid the other team has to focus entirely on shutting down that line...when Marner is out there the other team can't over play their shutdown players otherwise they'll get burned by the rest of the team.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
I understand that especially on these forums, homer fans are just gonna pick their guy 99% of the time just because. Fine.

For me, as a neutral and thinking about the point you make here, it’s for the fact that when Draisaitl plays with McDavid, far more often than not, it’s McDavid making things happen and creating the danger. With Tavares and Marner, it’s the opposite. Marner is the guy everything runs through. And I’d personally be shocked if any truly neutral find can’t see this clearly. It’s same with their power plays. Mcdavid runs one teams, Marner runs the other teams.

Obviously I wouldn’t vote Draisaitl over McDavid, but I’d take Marner over Tavares 10 out of 10 times right now.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Marner is one of a pretty elite group of winger who can really drive a line and he's probably more purely "skilled", but i still take the Center in Draisaitl to build around.

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
If Marner played on the Oilers and didn't play with McDavid and was stuck with Reider and Chiasson, or Lucic and Puljujarvi level players, which is the type of players he would play with if not playing with McDavid, he would be a low goal scoring winger, and he would be lucky to have 20 assists right now. So he would have to be playing with McDavid as well to have success on the Oilers. So Draisail gets to play on a line with one talented player and he is having success, I am sure if he played with one other talented player that was not McDavid he would also have success. Marner would be no better playing with 4th liners / AHL players then Draisaitl is. Probably worse since Draisaitl is a better goals scorer.

Last edited:
Reactions: Connor McConnor

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
marner was ppg in 40 some games with kadri and is ppg plus with tavares hard to say he was being carried by either player, especially since he outscored/outscoring both of his line mate centers.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
Draisaitl showed his potential that postseason. His size is something tocover, like Rantanen. That combination of speed and power... dominant.

Unfortunately it's a tough comparison because Edmonton is simply terrible whereas Toronto is a deadly offensive force.

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
marner was ppg in 40 some games with kadri and is ppg plus with tavares hard to say he was being carried by either player, especially since he outscored/outscoring both of his line mate centers.
Both of which Leafs fans claim are #1 Centres. They also claim that JT is a top 7-8 Centre. I don't understand your point?

Draisaitl played with 4th line/AHL quality linemates when he centered the 2nd line..

There is so much contradiction going on by the Leafs fanbase, it's unbelievable.

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
Both of which Leafs fans claim are #1 Centres. They also claim that JT is a top 7-8 Centre. I don't understand your point?

Draisaitl played with 4th line/AHL quality linemates when he centered the 2nd line..

There is so much contradiction going on by the Leafs fanbase, it's unbelievable.
kadri is not a number 1 center at all. hes barley a number 3c hes playing bad, usually a good 2c.
My point wasnt to discredit Drai is to say Marner isnt getting carried.
Also idk where JT ranks somewhere between 7-15 seems right to me.

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
kadri is not a number 1 center at all. hes barley a number 3c hes playing bad, usually a good 2c.
My point wasnt to discredit Drai is to say Marner isnt getting carried.
Also idk where JT ranks somewhere between 7-15 seems right to me.
I'd wager that 80%+ of the Leafs fanbase disagrees with you there.

I don't think Marner is being carried by JT. I also don't think Drai is carries by McDavid.

It's just absolutely ridiculous to suggest only Drai benefits from the current situation he is in.

Reactions: Yasuo

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
I'd wager that 80%+ of the Leafs fanbase disagrees with you there.

I don't think Marner is being carried by JT. I also don't think Drai is carries by McDavid.

It's just absolutely ridiculous to suggest only Drai benefits from the current situation he is in.
make a poll then, i doubt most leaf fans would consider kadri a 1c, definitely not at the 80% margin that you think.

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
make a poll then, i doubt most leaf fans would consider kadri a 1c, definitely not at the 80% margin that you think.
It's been mentioned a lot by the fanbase, especially this summer.

Do you know how many times HF has heard from the Leafs fan base since JT signed "we have 3 #1 Centres now"? Everyone knows this, it's at least 80%.

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
It's been mentioned a lot by the fanbase, especially this summer.

Do you know how many times HF has heard from the Leafs fan base since JT signed "we have 3 #1 Centres now"? Everyone knows this, it's at least 80%.
i think it was more jokes then anything, we are 3 deep nothing wrong with bragging or being boisterous.
Again that was then and this is now, opinions have swayed since.

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
i think it was more jokes then anything, we are 3 deep nothing wrong with bragging or being boisterous.
Again that was then and this is now, opinions have swayed since.
You're actually being serious?

You don't think the majority of your fanbase has thought Kadri is a #1 Centre for the last 3-4 years?

You can claim they might not think he is now, but you can't deny the majority of them thought this before this season started.

Heck I don't remember how many times I've heard he's a #1 Centre, and "he's going to feast on teams" playing as the 3rd line Centre.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
marner by quite a lot

draisaitl is 1 turnover away from being tied for 3rd in the league. thats significant

Reactions: DriveFor9th
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad