Marner follows Matthews, gets Neptune Myth Tattoo...

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
It's Zeus for anyone that is wondering.

Just need Nylander to hop on the bandwagon.
Are you sure? I swear it said Neptune/Poseidon in the article.

not a tattoo guy ? lol

nothing wrong with it
Nothing wrong with tattoos, it's cool seeing hockey sort of break that barrier (in respect to the NFL/NBA). However, as Notsocommensense says, people are getting tattoos just because. There's no meaning behind it anymore, which we live in a free society so they can do what they want, but it's not unique.

Is it just me or do people get tattoos now just because?

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
When Marner ends up regretting this tattoo, he should tell his kids that he's part Greek which is why he has such a strong attachment to Poseidon/Zeus/Thornton.

But the guy looks 12 still. Maybe he got it to look more masculine.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
He will regret that one day, probably sooner rather than later...as in he already regrets it. What a weirdo.

it's a tattoo that he wanted, obviously means something to him, and is very well inked.

too many people here judge others by their own standards. he's no weirdo for getting it done, or for the subject matter.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
As far as artwork, it's gorgeous.

Not a fan of tattoos though. People can do what they want, and I respect that, but it's just not something I would want to have on my own skin.

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
it's a tattoo that he wanted, obviously means something to him, and is very well inked.

too many people here judge others by their own standards. he's no weirdo for getting it done, or for the subject matter.

Well said. Most people don't regret their tattoos, because it represents a certain time and place in their life. Especially when the quality is as high as this one.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
I cannot blame people on commenting something before reading the link provided thoroughly as that would make me a hypocrite then, but try to get it right when you do, I'm fairly sure the article says it's Neptune, not Zeus. :]

"The detailed image of Neptune/Poseidon (which appears to be based on “Bust of Neptune†by French sculptor Lambert-Sigisbert Adam)..."

Positive symbology could be: High winds & Horses -> speed? God of fresh water & seas -> (fortune on) Ice?

Other than that Poseidon is quite a controversial character linked to Medusa, the Cyclope etc.

It's not like Zeus would be any better. The dude never saw a god or mortal that he didn't want to sleep with.

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
I think it's pretty cool. It's his body, and the artwork is done well. I've always enjoyed Mythology (Greek, Roman, Norse, and Egyptian), so I think it's pretty cool.

Poseidon was associated with the horse, a strong and powerful animal known for working hard, as well as the dolphin, a fast and intelligent animal. Two of the more noble creatures.

Even if this isn't why he got it, but he just enjoys Poseidon or how it looks, then that's his prerogative. For someone to consider it "utterly ridiculous" or act as though this is a mistake just reminds me of the old man yelling at the clouds from The Simpsons.

Funnily enough we were discussing this over dinner last night and my friend's 65 year old mother was talking about how ridiculous it is for people to get tattoos with no other reasoning than "tattoos are dumb and people just shouldn't get them". lol

This. Just another excuse for people to be judgemental and ignorant. You don't know his reasoning so why judge haha.

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
Are you sure? I swear it said Neptune/Poseidon in the article.

Nothing wrong with tattoos, it's cool seeing hockey sort of break that barrier (in respect to the NFL/NBA). However, as Notsocommensense says, people are getting tattoos just because. There's no meaning behind it anymore, which we live in a free society so they can do what they want, but it's not unique.

Do you really think people are getting tattoos "just because" . They obviously have personal meaning or significance. It's not about being the first guy with a tattoo lol its about the feeling it gives him. Maybe he'll regret it, maybe not. It's not like it's a stupid tattoo, misspelled, or of something hell obviously regret later (GF's name ect.)

Also lol at the irony behind calling someone's tattoo "utterly ridiculous" but not seeing how starting a thread to whine about someone else's insignificant life decision on hf is perhaps even more "utterly ridiculous".

Last edited:

Yourself

Oct 12, 2010

Was there really anymore meaning involved in getting a tattoo before or is there simply more given to older tattoos because it was more rare? I lean towards thinking things haven't really changed that much.

Either way, nice tattoo, cool to see the work players are getting.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad