Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BrannigansLaw

Grown Man
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
If you watch back all the series... you will find that Marner is behind many if not most of the backbreaking goals against. Ridiculous delay of game penalties, risky flip pass hail Mary that is intercepted, failed clears, giveaway on a attempted deke, the panther pass to matthews inside his own blueline, the Pastrnak one... I can name at least 7 backbreaking giveaways that led to gwg against in critical games. That's pretty incredible.

They should create a stat in his honor; GLG

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
I don't think it would be prudent for the Leafs to say that. It would be prudent for the Leafs to say "we need you to sign cheap"; at which point the ball would be in JT's court as to whether he wants to stay in Toronto or go elsewhere for more money.

You take an outsider's perspective to it, he's made his $100m, he doesn't have a cup, and at $2.5 to $3m, he'd have a really good shot of it in Toronto. It would seem quite silly to go sign in Detroit or Buffalo to make an extra $2-3m per year when they're likely further away... then again, greed and ego seem to be constant topics when it comes to player contracts.

I agree he could be good value on a cheap deal.

A way to work around this is to ask about his extension demands right now. Get a feel for what his ask is going to be. If it's too high then it's time to say there will be no offer coming from the Leafs.

Treliving has a lot of variables to consider but if he wants Tavares out then this is his only reasonable option. Any other viable option will be drastically unprofessional (i.e. benching him, putting him on the 4th line) and something the Leafs could do but won't. Nor should they.

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
what does this even mean ?

who is he distracting , the fans who have been rotating between trading Mitch or Willie while making endless excuses to keep Tavares ?

i'm on board with trading anyone if it improves the team , unfortunately that's easier said than done
If it helps any, I've wanted the Leafs to move off of Marner and Tavares, while building around Matthews ans Nylander, since the Columbus series back in the 19/20 season.

It seemed extremely obvious to me that 4 forwards making all that money was hilariously stupid, and that of the 4, Matthews and Nylander offered more when the hard games roll around.

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
This is denial.

He needs to take a pay cut, which he won’t do.

I was actually talking about Tavares.

He's the one they need to ask about his extension demands and if it's too high (4M+) then it's time to tell him there's no extension coming.

Marner for sure won't be taking a pay cut and will ask for a minimum 12.3M per year (13.38% of the cap). My guess is he's aiming for 12.93M per year as his desired target.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
He's the one they need to ask about his extension demands and if it's too high (4M+) then it's time to tell him there's no extension coming.
JT has young kids now.
He'll want to stay.
He can be had for cheap, if not, his cap space can be helpful.

I think I'd rather him walk.

A slow C, no business to be on PP1, can't PK, average passer, zero zone entry skills, can win some draws but that seems to be dwindling.

Not sure what to do.

I like the symbolism of moving on from him. I'm trading or ownrentalling marner. So I'd have some cap space for JT. Very low priority. I am also worried he's about to fall off a cliff in terms of speed and performance.

He'd be the last deal I'd make. No priority. It depends if he could fill a missing piece.

Marner for sure won't be taking a pay cut and will ask for a minimum 12.3M per year (13.38% of the cap). My guess is he's aiming for 12.93M per year as his desired target.

#ownrental.

Bye Mitch.

everyone knows he's gone. he can make an ass of himself by not waiving his NMC. But his life will be hell. I would 100% float through the media in June he's not waiving his NMC. It's time for dirty tactics for him.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
You can’t possibly believe that?
You don’t even need to sign superstars, just 3 guys like Domi and the team will be more balance and probably better.
You make the 1st bolded statement and end with the 2nd.
Your 2nd statement may be correct but it may not. I think we probably are going to be worse without Marner.

It’s just my opinion, normally I’d say well we will see but it won’t get to that next season because Mitch will still be here. Again just my opinion. lol!

13pacheco31

Jan 17, 2014
if the mob would calm down for a second and a take a good look at our forwards without Marner they'd see how pathetic we'd be without him

but on second thought maybe not since there's still a lot of fans who believe Tavares is a good player
I think Tavares is still useful in a diminished, sheltered role. I would be okay with them resigning him if it's a team friendly contract

Reactions: saffronleaf

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
JT has young kids now.
He'll want to stay.
He can be had for cheap, if not, his cap space can be helpful.

I think I'd rather him walk.

A slow C, no business to be on PP1, can't PK, average passer, zero zone entry skills, can win some draws but that seems to be dwindling.

Not sure what to do.

I like the symbolism of moving on from him. I'm trading or ownrentalling marner. So I'd have some cap space for JT. Very low priority. I am also worried he's about to fall off a cliff in terms of speed and performance.

He'd be the last deal I'd make. No priority. It depends if he could fill a missing piece.

#ownrental.

Bye Mitch.

everyone knows he's gone. he can make an ass of himself by not waiving his NMC. But his life will be hell. I would 100% float through the media in June he's not waiving his NMC. It's time for dirty tactics for him.
jT still a good player, just being misused a new coach hopefully uses JT more to his strengths and limits his ice time. Yes he makes a shitload but you can’t blame him for that.

Marner won’t waive, regardless if there is a wave of discontent. At the end of the day he will feel he can play better and turn the fickle fans around. Fans change their opinion on a daily basis, just read the gdts. He didn’t get to where he is by quitting.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
jT still a good player, just being misused a new coach hopefully uses JT more to his strengths and limits his ice time. Yes he makes a shitload but you can’t blame him for that.

Marner won’t waive, regardless if there is a wave of discontent. At the end of the day he will feel he can play better and turn the fickle fans around. Fans change their opinion on a daily basis, just read the gdts’s. He didn’t get to where he is by quitting.

If he doesn't waive he should be poorly utilized in a checking line role to diminish his next contract. The team will carry itself into the PO regardless.

JT maybe a few year extension for 4m as a 3c. The guys washed up. Not sure in the logic. Plus you need to strip the C and guys hate that.

Better to dump dead weight and let a lighter quicker team emerge

Nobody on the Leafs is going to role their eyes at AM and WN for their PO. That being said anyone with a brain will scrutinize MM asking for 13m

Last edited:
Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Marner won’t waive, regardless if there is a wave of discontent.
sure. Good luck Mitch.

He'll be even more miserable.

his game will suffer. His lack of mental toughness will be on display.

He'll get 9 AAV elsewhere.

he should poorly utilized in a checking line role to diminish his next contract. The team will carry itself into the PO regardless.
another tactic that is fair.
At 11 AAV he should be able to carry a line - the third line.

jT still a good player, just being misused
outline a use for him then.
He's just too slow.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
#ownrental
Own rental is something you keep because you want to push through the playoffs.

There are deals to be had if he waives. Vegas and Utah make a lot of sense.
Vegas because he can play with guys like Eichel and Stone, Utah because they have good young players for us and they are more concerned about making the playoffs to stay on the map rather than doing anything in them.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Too slow. Completely useless against a fast hard checking team. Time to stop looking for regular season points from jT and MM
The point is to move away from what’s been associated with the years and years of failing. Not that it’s all one players fault, but the purge in that sense is needed. Matthews and Nylander survive the purge, everyone else that has been here so long through it should probably be turned over at some point as the retool process. And before it starts to affect the next wave.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Even that's too much. No need to spend any money on this playoff dud.

Exactly. He is a dud. That's the key point in all of this. Lump him in with all the rest of the organization bloat and ineffective expenses.

Cut the dead wood out, trim the fat and operate as a lean hungry winning machine for Fs sakes.

The level of ineptitude at MLSE is mind boggling. Instead of restructuring when they first hired Shanahan, they turned the freaking from Muskoka 5 to Muskoka 55. 7m for you 5m for you 3m for you and that's the front office lol

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
#ownrental

I don't know if you remember when I was posting about own rentals being the most stupid move in hockey unless you have a real shot.

Own rentals and rentals are why other teams are ahead of us right now. The team that manages assets and contract negotiations best + drafting will always be among the best teams.

We cant draft D or Gs. No idea how to develop them. We rent when there is no point. We refuse to sell when its to our advantage.

Stupid organization. Top 10 stupid in the league for sure. Without maniac fans we'd be like Arizona.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
another tactic that is fair.
At 11 AAV he should be able to carry a line - the third line.

outline a use for him then.
He's just too slow.
JT- He’s good in the corners, I read where he led the team in puck battles won, he’s good at faceoffs, he can plug up the front of the net. But yeah he is not the guy you feed a stretch pass to or the guy you want at your side rushing up the ice.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Own rental is something you keep because you want to push through the playoffs.

There are deals to be had if he waives. Vegas and Utah make a lot of sense.
Vegas because he can play with guys like Eichel and Stone, Utah because they have good young players for us and they are more concerned about making the playoffs to stay on the map rather than doing anything in them.
I don't see Vegas for cap reasons. They may have to dump Marcheseault as it is.

Reactions: thewave

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
JT- He’s good in the corners, I read where he led the team in puck battles won, he’s good at faceoffs, he can plug up the front of the net. But yeah he is not the guy you feed a stretch pass to or the guy you want at your side rushing up the ice.

What do you do in two years when JTs wheels fall off? Bite more useless cap?

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I don't see Vegas for cap reasons. They may have to dump Marcheseault as it is.
Our best play is free up MM and JT cap. Morgan as well and explore free agency a little.

Hunt playoff performers and a coach that plays winning PO hockey all year long.

Reactions: ToneDog

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
What do you do in two years when JTs wheels fall off? Bite more useless cap?
He takes a big pay cut, like maybe 1/2. If he wants to stay for 5 a year and still can tally 60 points , I keep him if he wants more he will leave but he also won’t be waiving. Our issue is player utilization, Hyman gets 13 playoff points in about 35 games for us but gets 38 in about 35 games for the Oilers. Kessel gets the boot wins 2 Cups and should have been the Conn Smythe winner one year, Kadri leaves plays better, etc.. almost the same story for everyone that leaves. So maybe it was coaching.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad