Player Discussion Marner Talk - Get Your Daily Dose of Redundancy

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
ye thats the tough part unfortunately. i think its less about teams wanting tavares, as alot of teams that arent big revenue generators covet players with high cap hits and low actual dollars, and more about convincing him to move with his 3 young kids etc. ill tell you what though, i would have alot of repect for him if he did decide to move on for the good of the franchise. it would be the most captainly thing hes ever done here. i doubt he does it though, and hard to blame him if he doesnt.

edit; im fairly certain marner gets the majority of his salary as a bonus as of july 1st as well(7.25mil of the 8mil hes owed in real money this year)
His family and his wife's family are all here. His kids were born here and still very young. It's a big ask to expect that he would pick everyone up and move to a new city at this point in his career.

Reactions: notDatsyuk

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
His family and his wife's family are all here. His kids were born here and still very young. It's a big ask to expect that he would pick everyone up and move to a new city at this point in his career.

i wonder what he'll do if the leafs refuse to offer him a contract after this one expires

Reactions: leafan11

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
i agree , that's why you get Tavares to waive and use his cap hit for improved depth

after bonus he's owed less than 1m , so it'd be easy to find a home for him without adding sweetener's

In determining who to trade, I think the most important thing the Leafs need to be asking themselves in both cases, is this player going to be here in October 2025? and if the answer to that is probably not, then you would push to move him.

For Tavares, yes, if he's out, you might as well try to accelerate that process; and use his cap hit a year earlier. That being said, I'm not so sure the Leafs view him as "out" in 25-26. I don't think they want to tack the "C" onto Auston Matthews as it's a distraction; and I think they believe Tavares will sign a sweetheart deal after being overpaid for most of his previous one. He's not the player he used to be, but he did pot 29 goals and 65 points, and is only 1 year removed from the point per game pace he's been on for basically his entire tenure with the Leafs.

From a short term perspective, I think they also look at the roster and realize, they don't have a #2 centre in the system ot replace him, nor are the UFA options great.

For Marner, his next contract negotiation isn't likely to be all that complicated. He's going to ask for $12.5m, and he's not going to take a penny less than Nylander's $11.5m (and may not even be willing to sign for that).

For a team that just spent 6 years languishing in the problems associated with having Matthews at $11.6m, Tavares at $11m, Marner at $10.9m, and Nylander at $7m; it's really difficult to say "I'm going to commit to Matthews at $13.25, Marner at $12m, and Nylander at $11.5m"; and not have self doubts about your sanity.

Sure, you can justify it as the cap being higher and growing (something that was supposed to happen when they signed the first round of contracts). On the flip side, it arguably makes less sense to have those 3 big hits (34/16/88) versus the original big 3 (34/91/16); simply because there's only 1 centre there.

djdev

Dec 26, 2015
costa rica
100% thats why i wouldnt blame him for not wanting to go, thats a big big ask. but we need that cap space in the worst way lol.

djdev

Dec 26, 2015
costa rica
In determining who to trade, I think the most important thing the Leafs need to be asking themselves in both cases, is this player going to be here in October 2025? and if the answer to that is probably not, then you would push to move him.

For Tavares, yes, if he's out, you might as well try to accelerate that process; and use his cap hit a year earlier. That being said, I'm not so sure the Leafs view him as "out" in 25-26. I don't think they want to tack the "C" onto Auston Matthews as it's a distraction; and I think they believe Tavares will sign a sweetheart deal after being overpaid for most of his previous one. He's not the player he used to be, but he did pot 29 goals and 65 points, and is only 1 year removed from the point per game pace he's been on for basically his entire tenure with the Leafs.

From a short term perspective, I think they also look at the roster and realize, they don't have a #2 centre in the system ot replace him, nor are the UFA options great.

For Marner, his next contract negotiation isn't likely to be all that complicated. He's going to ask for $12.5m, and he's not going to take a penny less than Nylander's $11.5m (and may not even be willing to sign for that).

For a team that just spent 6 years languishing in the problems associated with having Matthews at $11.6m, Tavares at $11m, Marner at $10.9m, and Nylander at $7m; it's really difficult to say "I'm going to commit to Matthews at $13.25, Marner at $12m, and Nylander at $11.5m"; and not have self doubts about your sanity.

Sure, you can justify it as the cap being higher and growing (something that was supposed to happen when they signed the first round of contracts). On the flip side, it arguably makes less sense to have those 3 big hits (34/16/88) versus the original big 3 (34/91/16); simply because there's only 1 centre there.
agree with alot of this, save 1 thing. them not wanting to burden matthews with the captaincy. ovi, crosby, mcdavid, marchand, barkov, stamkos, stone etc etc are all captains and it doesnt effect their games one iota. this is his team and he should be captain, honestly it might inspire him. make it happen!

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto

There is one path where it's possible.

If the Leafs say "We are not re-signing you next season," which means he will need to find a new home next year anyway unless he plans on retiring.

They could then find a team close to Toronto (i.e. Buffalo, Detroit) and see if he can work something out with them for an extension. This will give him more time to settle in that city.

Of course, lots of things would have to work including those teams wanting him.

Reactions: saffronleaf

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
agree with alot of this, save 1 thing. them not wanting to burden matthews with the captaincy. ovi, crosby, mcdavid, marchand, barkov, stamkos, stone etc etc are all captains and it doesnt effect their games one iota. this is his team and he should be captain, honestly it might inspire him. make it happen!

Being captain in Toronto is a lot more difficult than being captain in Florida, Tampa, Vegas, Pittsburgh, Washington, or even Boston.

Heck, I'd go as far as saying it's more difficult than Edmonton; especially in the current situation where everyone around the team has lost patience with the group.

I also think you have to look a little bit at his personality. Matthews is a highly motivated player, he doesn't need the C to motivate him; nor do I think he actually wants it.

He also doesn't neccessarily seem to be your typical "eat, sleep, workout, play hockey, repeat" type of personality. The Leafs do have some young guys coming in, and I think they like the "ability" to point them towards John Tavares in terms of how to live your life, and maybe where to live as Knies and Minten did this year.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009

If the Leafs say "We are not re-signing you next season," which means he will need to find a new home next year anyway unless he plans on retiring.

They could then find a team close to Toronto (i.e. Buffalo, Detroit) and see if he can work something out with them for an extension. This will give him more time to settle in that city.

I don't think it would be prudent for the Leafs to say that. It would be prudent for the Leafs to say "we need you to sign cheap"; at which point the ball would be in JT's court as to whether he wants to stay in Toronto or go elsewhere for more money.

You take an outsider's perspective to it, he's made his $100m, he doesn't have a cup, and at $2.5 to $3m, he'd have a really good shot of it in Toronto. It would seem quite silly to go sign in Detroit or Buffalo to make an extra $2-3m per year when they're likely further away... then again, greed and ego seem to be constant topics when it comes to player contracts.

djdev

Dec 26, 2015
costa rica
Being captain in Toronto is a lot more difficult than being captain in Florida, Tampa, Vegas, Pittsburgh, Washington, or even Boston.

Heck, I'd go as far as saying it's more difficult than Edmonton; especially in the current situation where everyone around the team has lost patience with the group.

I also think you have to look a little bit at his personality. Matthews is a highly motivated player, he doesn't need the C to motivate him; nor do I think he actually wants it.

He also doesn't neccessarily seem to be your typical "eat, sleep, workout, play hockey, repeat" type of personality. The Leafs do have some young guys coming in, and I think they like the "ability" to point them towards John Tavares in terms of how to live your life, and maybe where to live as Knies and Minten did this year.
while i agree with it being a more intense market, i dont see it effecting him.we need a guy that you want to follow into battle and JT isnt that, i think matty is. ive always wanted him to be captain(as you can probably see by my profile pic) and have always believed hes the best choice. so i guess we will just have to agree to disagree on this lol.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
i agree , that's why you get Tavares to waive and use his cap hit for improved depth

after bonus he's owed less than 1m , so it'd be easy to find a home for him without adding sweetener's
Less than $1M cash, but there's still the $11M cap hit.

What team has that much waste space, and is a team JT would be willing to go to?

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018

Seriously, if we don't re-sign him, I suspect he will happily take the almost $100M he's made playing hockey and retire.

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON

just in terms of geography and convenience ottawa might be the closest given that you don't need to deal with crossing the border and all that.

Reactions: Eternal Leaf

Cassell

Apr 28, 2024

IMG_5955.jpeg

LeafEgo

Oct 8, 2021
then might as well move to one of those locations this year why play a lame duck season in toronto where the organization and fanbase do not want you here
If management presses him perhaps he would seek something like that out, but his preference will certainly be staying local, and Leafs might want that discounted JT.

They may not be able to efficiently replace 22M all in the next few months - save some for now and some for later. Depends on the landscape.

And he may end up on ltir at the right time next season anyways.

Reactions: saffronleaf

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
100% thats why i wouldnt blame him for not wanting to go, thats a big big ask. but we need that cap space in the worst way lol.

Hopefully he plays out the contract and then gives the team a gift on his next one and takes less to help them out.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012

Why should he be captain? He has never been captain at any level he has played at, and he hasn't exactly demonstrated leadership on the ice in Toronto, so why should he be captain?

This team without Marner won’t even make the playoffs next season. Who are we going to fire then?

:laugh:

while i agree with it being a more intense market, i dont see it effecting him.we need a guy that you want to follow into battle and JT isnt that, i think matty is. ive always wanted him to be captain(as you can probably see by my profile pic) and have always believed hes the best choice.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
I'm sure someone has already posted this but this trade makes NO sense to me...

Markstrom is NO kid and he's never been good in the playoffs.

After the Huberdeau fiasco I can't see Calgary wanting to trade for another soft one hundred point winger looking for a new contract again either.

If the Leafs trade Marner, big if, they will need to re-sign him first. Treliving said the biggest obstacle to trading Nylanded last year was that he was unsigned. That's why they entered the season with him still on the team.

Unless something has changed since then I don't see them finding a trade partner for Marner either.

Reactions: ORRFForever

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Staff and Graph pod is a great listen today for anyone still on the Marner isn't the problem.

TL;DR: His 'entourage' is batshit insane. Lou threatened to ban Paul Marner from the arena. His cousins, brother in law, and private security have DMd half the Toronto media when writing/speaking poorly on Marner.
It was a terrible podcast. I read better arguments on the board.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto

It’s not a personal ask it’s a professional one. It’s an ask everyday people do daily.relocating for the NHL, I bet he doesn’t even lift a finger. I just did a professional relocation and we had a company basically organize and move everything.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad